Random Thought Thread

Truck story, ok so my bang around suburban started making some noise. Locate noise is coming from serp belt area. This turns to change idler pulley= better, but no. Change alternator = even better, but no. Change tensioner pulley, truck no longer starts !!!!!!! *^*%##^!!!!! It’s now dark , cold, and I’m in snow. Also going out to a movie. I spend hours checking connections, fuses, etc. Now I’m *%#^*&*%^^!!!!!!!!
It’s now dark and really cold. My buddy shows up , he was stopping by to borrow a tool. He’s been a mechanic 30+years. He starts checking what I could’ve done, finds nothing. Out of the blue his son asks ( a mechanic ) did you try banging the tank ??? His dad and I look at each other like we are idiots lol. Three bangs on the tank and it fires right up !
I can say I hate cars lol !!!! Here’s a truck that goes everyday. I drove it that whole day without issue. Started it three times while working on it. Without warning at all the fuel pump just went !!!
Needless to say I was so sure it was a problem I caused. I never checked for another issue or the basics, tunnel vision. But hey I fixed the noise issue lol !!!!
Ok I’m done venting lol :)

When a legit Rolex gives up on 2020 and a requiem is held, that is a harbinger of ominousness yet to come.

Signed: #glassistotallyemptyguy

Yes, I think it's worth pointing out that a Rolex older than many participants here gave up on the winter solstice of 2020.

#fuc2020

That watch Hasn't been opened in 28 years. The oil in that watch is older than some of the people here. I think when they open it they're going to find it has ground itself into a paste. I think whoever opens it is going to be replacing a lot of stuff. Probably needs to go back to Rolex. Isn't there a place in Texas that does that?
That’s some impressive oil and engineering in that watch !!!! I have no clue who fixes those. I drove past a Rolex dealer in Huntsville AL once ? I wear a Casio G-shock , that’s it.

Yes, I think it's worth pointing out that a Rolex older than many participants here gave up on the winter solstice of 2020.

#fuc2020

It is also worth pointing out that I am exactly 2 x older than that Rolex + 1 and yet I am still ticking; well I was as of last night of winter's solstice. Additionally, I personally gave up well before that Rolex was even born!

Seriously though? We have a lot of millennials in here? If that is the case, I may charge personal membership fees for the pleasure of my company in here :p

That watch Hasn't been opened in 28 years. The oil in that watch is older than some of the people here. I think when they open it they're going to find it has ground itself into a paste. I think whoever opens it is going to be replacing a lot of stuff. Probably needs to go back to Rolex. Isn't there a place in Texas that does that?
No wonder it stopped! Lol.

How was its timekeeping/accuracy up until it stopped ticking? I'm also in the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" camp. As long as a watch is keeping time, there's next to no reason to send it in for servicing.

That was Mark's figuring. It was keeping good time, gaining a couple seconds here and there but needing no mid-month adjustments. A friend of his sent his Rolex in for cleaning and it never kept good time after they messed with it, so Mark was always skeptical about sending it in. The oil that Rolex uses in their watch isn't like the stuff they use down at the mall. You'd never get 28 years out of a conventional oil but I think 30 years out of a mechanical watch is pretty good regardless of its cleaning interval.

There are 2 options:
- Go to the Rolex website and find an authorized Rolex Service Center
- have the service performed at an Independent Service Center

As with any/many other things in life, a little time researching the various options and their pros and cons, is always worthwhile.

If he opts for an Independent SC, I can wholeheartedly recommend Nesbits.

https://www.nesbitswatchservice.com/

The biggest issue would be... dealing with shipping... :rolleyes:

That was Mark's figuring. It was keeping good time, gaining a couple seconds here and there but needing no mid-month adjustments. A friend of his sent his Rolex in for cleaning and it never kept good time after they messed with it, so Mark was always skeptical about sending it in. The oil that Rolex uses in their watch isn't like the stuff they use down at the mall. You'd never get 28 years out of a conventional oil but I think 30 years out of a mechanical watch is pretty good regardless of its cleaning interval.

That happened to my Longines. It was passed down to me from my father, who wore it for a good 20 years without servicing. It kept time within 2-3s/day. After I inherited it, I read all about regular service internals so I gave it to a local watch dealer to service it. It came back keeping even worse time (losing 10-15s/day) and I totally regret it having it CLA'd. I'll probably have to send it directly back to Longine to fix it at this point.

Yeah, there are definitely folks who've had issues with authorized RSCs.

As for their durability; it's both a combination of the formulation of the oils that don't gum up, and the whole "XX Jewels" movement. Most of these high end mechanicals use ruby (and these days, even synthetic diamond) for the friction points of the moving parts. Very low friction, extremely low wear.

Truck story, ok so my bang around suburban started making some noise. Locate noise is coming from serp belt area. This turns to change idler pulley= better, but no. Change alternator = even better, but no. Change tensioner pulley, truck no longer starts !!!!!!! *^*%##^!!!!! It’s now dark , cold, and I’m in snow. Also going out to a movie. I spend hours checking connections, fuses, etc. Now I’m *%#^*&*%^^!!!!!!!!
It’s now dark and really cold. My buddy shows up , he was stopping by to borrow a tool. He’s been a mechanic 30+years. He starts checking what I could’ve done, finds nothing. Out of the blue his son asks ( a mechanic ) did you try banging the tank ??? His dad and I look at each other like we are idiots lol. Three bangs on the tank and it fires right up !
I can say I hate cars lol !!!! Here’s a truck that goes everyday. I drove it that whole day without issue. Started it three times while working on it. Without warning at all the fuel pump just went !!!
Needless to say I was so sure it was a problem I caused. I never checked for another issue or the basics, tunnel vision. But hey I fixed the noise issue lol !!!!
Ok I’m done venting lol :)

Just dealt with that exact thing in my mom's car. Frustrating computerized crap. Gimmie an old 70s truck with a 350 any day!

That happened to my Longines. It was passed down to me from my father, who wore it for a good 20 years without servicing. It kept time within 2-3s/day. After I inherited it, I read all about regular service internals so I gave it to a local watch dealer to service it. It came back keeping even worse time (losing 10-15s/day) and I totally regret it having it CLA'd. I'll probably have to send it directly back to Longine to fix it at this point.
A) not all places have people with equal skill when it comes to servicing/repairing watches.

B) mechanical watches have adjustments to compensate for gaining/losing time. Some timepieces have better regulation than others, and it's possible to see this in effect by keeping the watch properly wound, then leaving it for 24 hrs bezel up, bezel down, crown up, crown down, and noting the variance in timekeeping vs position (i.e. some watches will stay within +/- 2 seconds per day no matter what position they're left in for 24 hours. Others will gain X to XX seconds in one position, and lose X to XX seconds in another position).

Different people can also potentially affect the watches timekeeping based on their personal habits/movements, so it's actually possible to adjust the watch to correct it to the specific wearer's habits (i.e. if the watch is consistently 10 seconds fast, it can usually be adjusted to compensate for that). This can be done by taking it to a watch shop, telling them that the watch is consistently X seconds fast or slow, and asking them to adjust it, or buying the specific tool to remove the back, and messing with it yourself. As long as it's fairly consistent in how much time it gains or loses, it may take more than one adjustment to get it within a range that you're satisfied with (i.e. they may over adjust and have the watch go from gaining ~10 seconds per day, to losing 3-4 seconds daily).

COSC certification standards allow for mechanicals to gain more time than lose it per 24 hours (a watch is allowed to gain up to +6 seconds per day, or lose -2 seconds per day, and still be COSC certified. The reasoning is that a 'fast' watch will make you early. A 'slow' watch would make you late).

Last edited:
Someone broke into my office over the weekend.
It looks like they checked one of my desk drawers, cause the handle was broken off. But nothing was missing, I'm guessing they got disturbed by the contents of that first drawer, and didn't bother going through the rest of my stuff.

Last edited:
My office suite was crawling with cops this morning, someone broke in over the weekend.
It looks like they checked one of my desk drawers, cause the handle was broken off. But nothing was missing, I'm guessing they got disturbed by the contents of that first drawer, and didn't bother going through the rest of my stuff.

What do you have in the first drawer?

Back