Random Thought Thread

Although I suppose it could also be argued that the man with a Rolex is keeping better time than the man with a Swatch, even if the Rolex isn't even running. Hell, at least now it's right twice a day. That's better than it was.

G-Shock group shot, although there’s a couple missing somewhere around here lol
View attachment 1477737
That's quite a collection.

I've always been more of a one watch 24/7/365 kinda guy, so I tend to forget about taking my watch off before doing things that might mess them up (and I've killed a few watches in my day).

Wound up back with a G-shock because they're made for the abuse, and even if I kill one, it's more of a, "Oh well...".

I still have the Omegas simply because the G-Shock is a little bulky with formal attire.

Thankfully I never really got into watches. It’s not like I need something else to drop cash on...
I do have a couple of Citizen Eco drives that I like. I’ve had the one about 8 years and wear it almost daily.

When people find out that I have a knife collection and ask me why, I always tell them that knives are cheaper than watches. So far this has never failed to satisfactorily explain my position.

View attachment 1477729 That Deep Blue has been running fast since I got it, just cracked it open and bumped the adjustment a smidge...all this watch talk had me feeling frisky:eek:

lol Chip, great minds... ;) :D :thumbsup:

IMG_6529.jpg

Mine's been running about +2-3 seconds per day. :thumbsup: I can live with that, it'll probably slow down a bit as it ages.

Still time left for some of us to go out to see the Saturn / Jupiter conjunction, preferably with a good pair of binoculars in the absence of any telescopes.

View attachment 1477798

View attachment 1477797

Pretty good picture! :cool: Your pic? If so, what did you take it with? I tried getting one through my telescope, but failed miserably. :(

Last edited:
lol Chip, great minds... ;) :D :thumbsup:

View attachment 1477835

Mine's been running about +2-3 seconds per day. :thumbsup: I can live with that, it'll probably slow down a bit as it ages.

Pretty good picture! :cool: Your pic? If so, what did you take it with? I tried getting one through my telescope, but failed miserably. :(

Naw man! Just like any great pretend astronomer my posted pic was plagiarize from some real astronomer ;)

I had a Tudor watch with the Snowflake hands but sold it to buy more knives. Priorities. I figured automatics arent nearly as accurate as a good quartz so I bought a Longines Conquest VHP . Its a high accuracy quartz (+/- 5 seconds per year) and has gear position detection which the watch stops running if shocked or in a magnetic field and corrects itself afterwards. Great watch at a fraction of the cost and maintenance of an automatic.

Last edited:
I had a Tudor watch with the Snowflake hands but sold it to buy more knives. Priorities. I figured automatics arent nearly as accurate as a good quartz so I bought a Longines Conquest VHP . Its a high accuracy quartz (+/- 5 seconds per year) and has gear position detection which the watch stops running if shocked or in a magnetic field and corrects itself afterwards. Great watch at a fraction of the cost and maintenance of an automatic.

Feh. You sound like Jo. Applying logic. Whatever....

I was reading about this! The accuracy is insane. I think Citizen also offers a quartz watch that keeps +-5s/year too.

Longines makes really fine watches. I'm really surprised they aren't more popular considering their quality and heritage.

I was reading about this! The accuracy is insane. I think Citizen also offers a quartz watch that keeps +-5s/year too.

Longines makes really fine watches. I'm really surprised they aren't more popular considering their quality and heritage.
My only nice watch, the one I don't wear, is Longines.
(goes with the folder I don't carry)
YRjrlbz.jpg

Eric sent me a super sweet watch, nicest watch I've ever had. I don't like wearing a watch, but for whatever reason this one stays on my wrist throughout the day and I only take it off when it's time for beddie byes. Don't know how accurate it is, nor do I care, I only ever really use it for timing my tea and only occasionally for seeing what time it is. I've been thinking about making a Ren Faire watch band for it

I used to have a bunch of expensive watches but my OCD prevented me from really enjoying them because they would inherently get dented or scratched and that would damage the resale value which I always kept in mind because I never found anything I was in so much love with I knew I’d keep it.

Imagine the look on my face when my Ex dropped one off my desk onto the floor. Of course I took it off when typing to prevent scratches.

Style was moving bigger and bigger at the time and my 175lbs at the time didn’t warrant a wrist anchor.

Ended up selling my last about half a dozen Breitlings when my son was born and intended to find one keeper, but due to previous life experience I almost always know pretty accurately what time it is, and if I don’t know exactly my cell phone will tell me.

These days I keep up with this collection thinking one day something may speak to me:

CC04D496-A880-4169-A2A4-A02A3E3E8336.jpeg

I just realized my 2020 is still stuck in the US. Ugh. Can’t miss one.

Logically speaking, my Luminox is still my best watch...10 year battery life, only a few seconds off at each time change and the Ti/sapphire construction has shrugged off MANY hard knocks.

20201222_071935~2.jpg

Back