Random Thought Thread

One and a half hours to sharpen a K-18 from start to finish.
For a small fee, I think I can get a rider inserted in the next Covid relief bill bannning the shipping of sharpened swords in interstate commerce . . . for safety. Yeah, safety - that's the ticket! Then you can tell the rest of the folks that you would love to sharpen their sword for them, but you just can't legally send it to them that way . . . Darn! ;)

I ate so much Chinese food earlier today that I wasn't even hungry again for a full 35 minutes.
Might be a standing joke about Chinese food, but a few years ago, I went to a restaurant that was known for their Dim Sum. Ate so much, I was still stuffed about 4 hours later :p (I'm usually anywhere between hungry and starving 4 hours after a previous meal).

I can't recall who it was who volunteered to host a BF/CPK/blade enthusiasts get together/campout, especially after everyone had received their K18s. I'd still like to go to something like that when things get a little more back to normal.

Up until last year (when everything got cancelled), we would do Becker Gatherings twice a year here in the PNW (other groups throughout the US would do them as well). Despite it being called a "Becker" Gathering, the name is mostly a formality as it is simply a gathering of knife enthusiasts - camping, contests, glorious food and drink, and lots and lots of knives.

I sure hope to be doing that again real soon.

I can't recall who it was who volunteered to host a BF/CPK/blade enthusiasts get together/campout, especially after everyone had received their K18s. I'd still like to go to something like that when things get a little more back to normal.

We were planning on hosting a blade sports cut where after the sanctioned event we would have an outlaw cut where people could pay an entry fee to fund a kitty and "run what you brung" for the cash prize. It's almost a foregone conclusion that either Dr. Keffeler or the sensational Bennie Boo would win (both running a K-18) but it would be an open race for anybody and anything.

The "CPK compound" is only 10 acres, not the world's finest camping, but there's room to pop up a tent or two.

It's funny. I'm looking at the thread on tech support talking about the political arena subform on blade forums. It has become heated. The previous thread got closed. It is insane, but politics brings out so much of the worst in folks that they are not even really talking about politics, they are just talking about talking about politics and it's getting ugly.

Politics are like the operating system on my computer here. I don't want to know about it, I don't care about it, it should not be important, and it should never be the first thing that I think about when I wake up or the top 10 headlines in the news. It should be a background topic, not the most important thing in America. How in the hell did politics become important?

It's funny. I'm looking at the thread on tech support talking about the political arena subform on blade forums. It has become heated. The previous thread got closed. It is insane, but politics brings out so much of the worst in folks that they are not even really talking about politics, they are just talking about talking about politics and it's getting ugly.

It is the sort of thing that drove me away from Facebook years ago. Though I enjoy the occasional politically flavored discussion, it generally only serves to bring out the worst in people and I usually find it's best to just stay out of it. When it no longer is a respectful exchange of ideas and opinions, it devolves into animosity that becomes rather personal.

Politics are like the operating system on my computer here. I don't want to know about it, I don't care about it, it should not be important, and it should never be the first thing that I think about when I wake up or the top 10 headlines in the news. It should be a background topic, not the most important thing in America. How in the hell did politics become important?

^ rhetorical question. Please, please don't answer

I know it's rhetorical, but let me say this;

No one cares what I think. Most of the time, I don't either. If I did, I'd probably think other people cared, too. That does not change my first point.

People are just so aggrieved, it's really tiring and it pisses me off that we don't have this little oasis anymore. Hopefully that will change, but I've def been spending less time around these parts and it's amazing how productive doing things can be.

I will say, in some cases, ignorance really is bliss.

Due to a combination of never having used the 'New Posts' feature, really only browsing the CPK subforum, and only stepping outside of the CPK subforum for the Sales, I was unaware of all the other 'stuff' until some posts indicated that there was 'stuff' occurring.

After taking a brief peek, I'm happy to go back to being blissfully ignorant of the other 'stuff'. :D

I was going to post essentially the same thing over there on that thread . . . but decided that nothing good could come from it. There is just . . . a lot of anger.

On another note, I’ve discovered that the problem with pepper X hot sauce is, um, the other end of the equation. It’s actually pretty tasty other than that small, burning detail.

edit: I can feel exactly where my dinner is in my gut.

Last edited:
Back