Random Thought Thread

I am not entirely sure but you well and truly could have been. I am nearly 30 and cannot remember a time where it was ok to carry a knife.
I think a SAK would be dependant on the person.
I can't seem to find any reference to when they began implementing the 'no carry' laws there, but this was back in the 80s. I'll lay the blame on Macgyver :p. I've had a SAK since before the show ever aired, but I definitely made sure I always had one on me after that show debuted lol. I've used a SAK to 'Macgyver' stuff more times than I can recall.

I just figured out what you meant by "boot." LOL!

Spent two weeks touring Australia in 1996. I think it was more free then - at least it seemed that way, especially in the outback. Seemed to me like a land teeming with personal opportunity and personal freedom. Climbed Ayer's Rock (can't do that anymore) - it was beautiful. I knew they took away your guns since I was there - did not realize they banned personal knife ownership, too. I hope they still allow you to dive on the Great Barrier Reef - that was an all-time life experience for me. If someone hasn't done that yet, maybe want to do that before they ban that too in the name of environment. It's simply the most beautiful place I've ever seen, and I've been to a lot of places. In fact, there is so much natural beauty all over Australia - Australians are truly blest!

I thought the beer would be better - but it was kind of "meh." There were almost no microbreweries that I could find - maybe that has changed. Mostly big corporate brewers. Drank a lot of VB and Toohey's. Again . . . "meh." Didn't see one Foster's Lager the whole time, even though all the TV adverts in the US at the time touted "Foster's: Australian for beer." Marketing - LOL!

Loved the seafood. Fell in love with John Dory - which I never see here in the States. Wonderful fish! Tried Kangaroo, Croc and Emu . . . just OK - liked the Emu the best.

It was a wonderful two weeks in Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Alice Springs. I was surprised that I needed a visa to go there, so I had to visit the Australian embassy in DC before my trip. But I learned once I got there that Australia is very, VERY tough when it comes to immigration, and they take special care to prevent anyone from immigrating there against their laws. For many years I wanted to go back and visit places further south and west . . . Adelaide, Perth, maybe Melbourne. But Australia has changed and so have I, and I don't really feel like going back anymore. Maybe that will change someday, too! Still love the Australian people - and I don't think that will ever change.

Hidden lanyards are so cool!
Putting paracord thru the cool hidden lanyar hole is a pain in the anus.
Spend like 10 minutes trying to get the paracord thru the end of my FK2.
Oh, did I mention that I have a new CPK FK2?

I like to make a small loop of dental floss and feed it through the lanyard hole. Then I use that to pull the paracord through.

I can't seem to find any reference to when they began implementing the 'no carry' laws there, but this was back in the 80s. I'll lay the blame on Macgyver :p. I've had a SAK since before the show ever aired, but I definitely made sure I always had one on me after that show debuted lol. I've used a SAK to 'Macgyver' stuff more times than I can recall.
Hahaha, yes, absolute classic. Wish there was still the Macgyver mentality here. I have been tempted to carry an SAK and just risk it and see what happens. It is just such a grey area that it really could be a risk or could be absolutely fine..

I just figured out what you meant by "boot." LOL!

Spent two weeks touring Australia in 1996. I think it was more free then - at least it seemed that way, especially in the outback. Seemed to me like a land teeming with personal opportunity and personal freedom. Climbed Ayer's Rock (can't do that anymore) - it was beautiful. I knew they took away your guns since I was there - did not realize they banned personal knife ownership, too. I hope they still allow you to dive on the Great Barrier Reef - that was an all-time life experience for me. If someone hasn't done that yet, maybe want to do that before they ban that too in the name of environment. It's simply the most beautiful place I've ever seen, and I've been to a lot of places. In fact, there is so much natural beauty all over Australia - Australians are truly blest!

I thought the beer would be better - but it was kind of "meh." There were almost no microbreweries that I could find - maybe that has changed. Mostly big corporate brewers. Drank a lot of VB and Toohey's. Again . . . "meh." Didn't see one Foster's Lager the whole time, even though all the TV adverts in the US at the time touted "Foster's: Australian for beer." Marketing - LOL!

Loved the seafood. Fell in love with John Dory - which I never see here in the States. Wonderful fish! Tried Kangaroo, Croc and Emu . . . just OK - liked the Emu the best.

It was a wonderful two weeks in Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Alice Springs. I was surprised that I needed a visa to go there, so I had to visit the Australian embassy in DC before my trip. But I learned once I got there that Australia is very, VERY tough when it comes to immigration, and they take special care to prevent anyone from immigrating there against their laws. For many years I wanted to go back and visit places further south and west . . . Adelaide, Perth, maybe Melbourne. But Australia has changed and so have I, and I don't really feel like going back anymore. Maybe that will change someday, too! Still love the Australian people - and I don't think that will ever change.

The independant and microbreweries are starting to become more popular as the hipster mentality has started to become a thing haha.

We have beautiful and unique environment here, especially the great barrier reef but I love the look of your landscape. I'd love to visit America one day. I just hope things settle down there soon.
But glad you enjoyed it here. We often get a bad wrap because of our harsh laws and restrictions. But it also really quite beautiful and safe here

I like to make a small loop of dental floss and feed it through the lanyard hole. Then I use that to pull the paracord through.
Yeah, I was thinking about it. And also I was thinking about removing the scales.
But then I embraced my inner barbarian and pushed that piece of ........ paracord thru it and showed it who is the boss (not me, Nathan is the boss).

Behold the Blade of Woe!
bnhUfjs.jpg
I have a friend who was a designer for Bethesda games, he designed the deathclaws in Fallout and the dragons and other monsters and some of the weapons in Skyrim. He didn't design the blade of woe but I took the liberty of sending him your pics of the knife and he was moved by the quality of your work. As I am. One day I hope to buy a knife from you!

I have a friend who was a designer for Bethesda games, he designed the deathclaws in Fallout and the dragons and other monsters and some of the weapons in Skyrim. He didn't design the blade of woe but I took the liberty of sending him your pics of the knife and he was moved by the quality of your work. As I am. One day I hope to buy a knife from you!
Wow, that's too cool. Thanks for sending him the pics, I'll bet my kids will be impressed!

Interesting.

FWIW, the majority of firewood I'm seeing here is white birch from places like Estonia. Seems to me that "vastly reducing" some of our own trees would be cheaper than using fossil fuels to ship firewood all the way from Estonia. But I guess not.

There are quite a few issues under the surface that prevent thinning in the USA.

A large part of it is legacy views within agencies, budgets that do not allow for the NEPA to even be written (let alone actually do the work) and that's not even counting the people who don't really understand ecological processes enough to understand the need, nor being willing to accept that natural cycles that maintained these systems are not static, not pretty, and that they aren't static.

Lodgepole pine for example....
They need fire to completey burn out old stands in order for regeneration to occur. Clearcutting is the closest approximation of a stand clearing fire, but it looks like hell. Laymen hate it. They sue over it. Yet a lodgepole stand at about 200yrs becomes old and decadent. Without a stand clearing fire, the new cohort cannot develop in the way the species is adapted to regerate.

Our problem is much deeper than most understand.

Throw in encroachment of homes in the interface zones and now we are stopping fires to protect human interests, yet fuels continue to build, systems continue to diverge from functional and humans forget these systems need to have these events to maintain heathy processes.

All in all, "apex community" thought is incorrect and rooted in human values, not natural processes. Trying to force nature to do or look how we want is a large part of our problem, combined with not being able to accept that what we humans consider to be destructive is more akin to doing a clense instead of getting hit by a car. We manage for short term outcomes while it took many many human lifetimes for the homeostasis we perceive to be realized.

TL:DR: americans are unwilling to accept the visuals of practices needed to set our lands back on a natural successional path because we want them to stay the same.

There are quite a few issues under the surface that prevent thinning in the USA.

A large part of it is legacy views within agencies, budgets that do not allow for the NEPA to even be written (let alone actually do the work) and that's not even counting the people who don't really understand ecological processes enough to understand the need, nor being willing to accept that natural cycles that maintained these systems are not static, not pretty, and that they aren't static.

Lodgepole pine for example....
They need fire to completey burn out old stands in order for regeneration to occur. Clearcutting is the closest approximation of a stand clearing fire, but it looks like hell. Laymen hate it. They sue over it. Yet a lodgepole stand at about 200yrs becomes old and decadent. Without a stand clearing fire, the new cohort cannot develop in the way the species is adapted to regerate.

Our problem is much deeper than most understand.

Throw in encroachment of homes in the interface zones and now we are stopping fires to protect human interests, yet fuels continue to build, systems continue to diverge from functional and humans forget these systems need to have these events to maintain heathy processes.

All in all, "apex community" thought is incorrect and rooted in human values, not natural processes. Trying to force nature to do or look how we want is a large part of our problem, combined with not being able to accept that what we humans consider to be destructive is more akin to doing a clense instead of getting hit by a car. We manage for short term outcomes while it took many many human lifetimes for the homeostasis we perceive to be realized.

TL:DR: americans are unwilling to accept the visuals of practices needed to set our lands back on a natural successional path because we want them to stay the same.
So basically . . . Estonians are smarter than Americans. Which surprises me not even a little bit.

So basically . . . Estonians are smarter than Americans. Which surprises me not even a little bit.

More like industrial forestry is a different monkey than management of natural forests, with the side benefit of not being run by a mob of lawyers.

There is no "get it all" outcome for the US. We can choose to manage for many uses, if we accept impacts. We can manage with the intent to preserve, but even our national parks (which use a preservational attitude) are still being managed to maintain how they are now, instead of the range of variability nature demands.

Another good example is rivers. They naturally flood, meander, move, etc. Humans hate that. We hate floods, we hate it when our structures built on floodplains are now in the channel, we hate it. Yet we like fertile land, and we like having water.

So, we create a channel, line it in concrete and run it in a straight line.

Outcome: higher water velocity, fish population takes a hit, and we remove small floods (but we take out all resilience, so big floods are way worse on us) and we lose deposition of nutrents on those fertile lands near rivers.

Then we are forced to create other solutions to solve the problems we created in an effort to outthink nature, but we only end up making things worse, less stable over time and give ourselves a false sense of stability in the short term.

Humans are smart. We modify our world to fit our wants. That is OK, but we also don't like paying our bills when they come due.

Back