Random Thought Thread

Not profitable enough. Labor alone here is atrocious in comparison to other countries due to a variety of reasons (not making a value judgement here, but labor in the US is expensive, as is the land to do agricultiure.

There's a reason we grow what we grow. Combo of conditions of the area and expected profit of a given crop.

Even fast growing trees are slow in comparison to corn or soy or whatever. Add in farm bill subsidies, and land for industrial forestry is just an unwise investment.

In many cases, natural forests cannot provide cheap enough wood to get a crew to even cut it, with no investment in the maturation at all and almost free sales of trees on federal land.

That's not even counting the Endagnered Species Act issues occurring on the O&C lands in oregon and california that are reserved for timber sales......spotted owl habitat causing a lawsuit from environmental groups.
A most excellent explanation! Delta labor costs exceed transportation costs. Should have figured that myself. :oops:

Thanks very much!

My mother had a beautiful white oak forest on her farm. We were told the average age of a tree on it was over 150 years old. It was a huge stand of old trees with a canopy almost 100' high that you really only see in this part of the south. It was glorious and it produced copious amounts of delicious white oak acorns that kept the deer fat and happy and made for great hunting and the best venison. Tasty squirrels too. It was a great place to hunt and to just spend time in the woods, I loved it.

Someone convinced her that the timber was too old and she needed to clear cut it. And the house needed a new roof, so she sold it to them and they cut it all down. It made me sick. Something that really struck me was they cut it all down, removed the best of it and left the rest stacked in huge piles to rot. It wasn't even worth hauling out. Mom got about 15K for the roof and a patch of ragweed you can see from outer space. My kids are 14 and 16 and won't ever get to hunt the woods that I did which is a shame, it was quite lovely.

I would love to like that . . . but I don't actually like that - it makes me sad. :(

Meanwhile . . . "Tasty squirrels too." :eek: I've had raccoon stew growing up, but I think I draw the line at squirrels.

Y'all should have had a few pigs to root around in those acorns. Nothing produces tasty ham like acorns!

Playing "Clue" with my family. I'm realizing that my family, my dear sweet loved ones, are all retarded.

You do realize that Jo visits this forum? :D

I would love to like that . . . but I don't actually like that - it makes me sad. :(

Meanwhile . . . "Tasty squirrels too." :eek: I've had raccoon stew growing up, but I think I draw the line at squirrels.

Y'all should have had a few pigs to root around in those acorns. Nothing produces tasty ham like acorns!

My dad cooked some dumplings one time with half squirrel and half rabbit meat. It was the best dumplings that I have ever ate. Many years later, I still think about those dumplings occasionally.

Sorry brother, no way trash panda is higher on the acceptable culinary scale than squirrel.

In Spain they eat a ton of pork. One of the things that makes the top grade pork the top is that they feed the pigs a special grade of acorn. They then ruin all their previous work by drying the pork hocks out and leaving them on the counters of their bars and cafes. It’s the circle of life.

It's been a minute but God favored some powder for us...

Here's the UF in our woodpile.

cyVGZQa.jpg

dxnGWSB.jpg

Last edited:
Back