Random Thought Thread

With the class of individuals here, I'm guessing at least a few of you might overspend on watches in addition to knives (I have the same problem so I don't mean it as an insult). I have an opportunity to get an exceptional deal on a Stowa watch... anyone have experience with the brand?

With the class of individuals here, I'm guessing at least a few of you might overspend on watches in addition to knives (I have the same problem so I don't mean it as an insult). I have an opportunity to get an exceptional deal on a Stowa watch... anyone have experience with the brand?
I have a friend who collects watches - Rolexes, Breitlings and such. He also has a Stowa automatic and has been very happy with it. Says it's a good value. Good luck.

Minus 17 this morning. The extra work that Sub-Zero temps create in any type of construction, and farming operation it's just hard to describe. Diesel equipment not able to start, or fuel gelling up even with winterizing. It just is not helping my day.

He also has a Stowa automatic and has been very happy with it. Says it's a good value.

Perfect, that is what I am looking for. I'm not exactly in the luxury class, so this is a bit of an indulgence. I can't even tell my wife the price.

StoneandSteel,Stowa watches are high quality german time-pieces!but,as for many things,condition is everything,great price for this kind of quality!

The condition will be new, so I'll be able to ensure that it is taken care of so that I can leave it to my kids or grandkids. It'll hopefully become an awesome family heirloom from when crazy Grandpa Steel lived in Germany.

Thanks gents!

Minus 17 this morning. The extra work that Sub-Zero temps create in any type of construction, and farming operation it's just hard to describe. Diesel equipment not able to start, or fuel gelling up even with winterizing. It just is not helping my day.

It’s easy to describe , it’s hell !! Freezing cold temps break just about everything.
For starting diesels we use silicone aerosol, instead of starting fluid.

This is one of the things I've wondered about: how do folks in AK, MN etc. cope with extreme cold?

The lower parts of MI don't really see subzero temperatures too regularly, but they do happen, and in the colder winters, have gotten down to -10f to -20f temps (not counting windchill. -22f is the coldest I've personally ever been in, and -60f windchill SUCKS. My uncovered face cramped up in under 30 seconds).

A few years back when we had quite a number of days where the temperatures were below -10f, I discovered that my older Yukon hated anything from -12f or colder. The keyfob wouldn't unlock all the doors. The starter would turn noticeably more sluggish, and even when the engine would start, half the gauges wouldn't work until the interior temps had warmed up a little.

How do folks deal with -40f and colder temps? I've heard of engine block heaters that can be plugged in etc., but what happens when folks drive to work and their vehicle is sitting outside in the parking lot in -40f for 8 hours or more?

I know that some places in Minnesota and Alaska have power outlets at each parking place so you can plug in your block heater while parked...

After growing up in the lake effect snow belt in upstate NY, and then spending 10 years in Michigan, I moved to New Mexico to get away from those winters.

We've got about 5" of snow this morning, but it will all be gone within a few days.

I know that some places in Minnesota and Alaska have power outlets at each parking place so you can plug in your block heater while parked...

After growing up in the lake effect snow belt in upstate NY, and then spending 10 years in Michigan, I moved to New Mexico to get away from those winters.

We've got about 5" of snow this morning, but it will all be gone within a few days.
The snow and colder weather here doesn't bother me enough to want to move somewhere warmer (yet).

These days, I'm not quite as nuts as when I was younger though. Back in college, I would 'force acclimate' myself to the cold every winter, by continuing to walk around campus in short sleeved t-shirts until snow stayed on the ground continuously for 7 days. If it melted before 7 days was up, it reset the clock. I had classmates mention, "Dude, I thought you were a transplant from Alaska. I saw you walking around in knee deep snow in jeans and a short sleeved t-shirt with no coat!". The acclimation worked, because I didn't really feel cold enough to need a coat until the temperatures were in the lower teens, unless it was really windy. I'd stand around chatting outside in 17f and friends would say, "Man, I'm going inside cuz I'm getting too cold. You don't seem to notice it and you don't even have a coat on".

I bumped into someone from college not long ago, and they actually asked, "You still walk around in short sleeved t-shirts when there's snow on the ground?". I said, "Nah, I'm old now".:p

We were -34 this morning and -32 yesterday morning and staying well below zero during the day. But at this time of year the sun has some power and feels warm on your skin even at these temperatures. At least in the north we are equipped to cope with whatever nature hands us, as anything that would freeze, break from ice, blow over in 100 mph winds, or bake in 110 degree temperatures has already been taken care of. And switching to #1 diesel with plenty of additive keeps the tractors and trucks moving without having to resort to Diesel 911 and changing fuel filters.

I grew up in New England and have done new construction on custom homes from age 16 to this day. You do get used to working in every kind of weather. I'm the guy who designs and installs the Plumbing/Heating and Air conditioning system. Once I've got it running I move on to the next job site. Now days however I try not to work outside when it's much below 20f.
And I keep me work truck plugged in during the winter.

I’m looking at a move west myself !! NM and AZ both on my radar :)

This is one of the things I've wondered about: how do folks in AK, MN etc. cope with extreme cold?

The lower parts of MI don't really see subzero temperatures too regularly, but they do happen, and in the colder winters, have gotten down to -10f to -20f temps (not counting windchill. -22f is the coldest I've personally ever been in, and -60f windchill SUCKS. My uncovered face cramped up in under 30 seconds).

A few years back when we had quite a number of days where the temperatures were below -10f, I discovered that my older Yukon hated anything from -12f or colder. The keyfob wouldn't unlock all the doors. The starter would turn noticeably more sluggish, and even when the engine would start, half the gauges wouldn't work until the interior temps had warmed up a little.

How do folks deal with -40f and colder temps? I've heard of engine block heaters that can be plugged in etc., but what happens when folks drive to work and their vehicle is sitting outside in the parking lot in -40f for 8 hours or more?
"This is one of the things I've wondered about: how do folks in AK, MN etc. cope with extreme cold?"

My question is WHY? WHY do folks in AK, MN etc. cope with extreme cold? I grew up in Florida and spent my youth shaking my head whenever the evening news would show those folks up there freezing in below-zero temps during winter.

I'm older now . . . but I still don't get it. Life is too short for that. At least for me. Frankly, winter sucks AFAIAC even here in NoVa, and this is NOTHING compared to Minnesota, Montana, Alaska, etc. I'm getting the hell out of here in the next few months for warmer climes. I will leave a lot of nice snow shovels behind for whoever buys my house. DSFDF, I guess.

I don’t wish to use the word “thrived” because they are now extinct but for lack of a better substitute, the Neanderthals did exactly that for about 200K years during many ice ages in the continent which we now know as Europe. They had no shelter but caves which certainly were devoid of any central heating, no modern warm clothing made from space-age materials and no Nathan Carothers to improve on their shitty flint stone tools. Oops!

I grew up in Florida and spent my youth shaking my head whenever the evening news would show those folks up there freezing in below-zero temps during winter.

I'm older now . . . but I still don't get it.

People in northern climates watch the news and wonder why people would want to live in high heat deserts, areas that experience frequent wildfires, tornados, hurricanes, etc.

I’ll happily shovel some snow to avoid all that other shit. :)

Back