Random Thought Thread

For the longest time I would get sick if I ate anything during the first two hours after I woke up. So I didn't eat breakfast for years.
Ok, I can understand that.

Me, I would be hANGRY if I didn´t have breakfast. I talked about eating breakfast a few times with my students, and its crazy how many young people (13-18) don´t eat breakfast.

There are two very vague criteria. You have to be able to advance "whatever activity" you're into by going to space. And "be willing and able to support other crew members who share similar aspirations." Man I want to go to space.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/yus...lic-seats-on-spacex-starship-moon-flight.html
I wonder how many people will be sending this to the Japanese billionaire?
:p

Also pretty funny that the radio station I was tuned to just yesterday, mentioned the Voyager Station (first space hotel in lower earth orbit, slated to open 2027).

There are two very vague criteria. You have to be able to advance "whatever activity" you're into by going to space. And "be willing and able to support other crew members who share similar aspirations." Man I want to go to space.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/yus...lic-seats-on-spacex-starship-moon-flight.html

If you win, will you try to sneak one of your CPKs to Space? If so, which one will be the first ever CPK ro scape the Earth’s gravity?

Also, I have often wondered about how knives perform on other planets with thinner atmosphere and weaker gravity? I trust that you would hijack that vessel once in orbit and pilot it to Mars to study and investigate my curiosity.

If you win, will you try to sneak one of your CPKs to Space? If so, which one will be the first ever CPK ro scape the Earth’s gravity?

Also, I have often wondered about how knives perform on other planets with thinner atmosphere and weaker gravity? I trust that you would hijack that vessel once in orbit and pilot it to Mars to study and investigate my curiosity.
Folder, they aren’t blasting off til 2023

While you couldn't pay me to go space**, I get to work on space stuff every day for these companies. I'll eventually have hardware on one of the moon-shots, so I'll try and do right by ya.

I've been at this job just over a year and am having so much fun there. Building stuff that fires the bullet at the moon is awesome.

** I used to be a flight test engineer and used to get motion sick from all the flying (we hardly ever kept things straight and level), so I really HATE the zero-g stuff any more.

Last edited:
Since its probably stupid question time, moving my questions from the ANAQ thread. Thanks for the recs gentlemen. I picked up the descriptions and how they test for hardness and toughness in the lab. But in real use, how do you separate the two? Like for example , if you have two different steels of unknown heat treat in your hands, and if you used both of them to the exact same degree, what would you see on the edge to say knife A is hard, less tough, knife B is tough, less hard or knife A is hard and tough? And comment on edge stability, wear resistance
And I think Nathan once said that edge stability and wear resistance are not the same , hence D3V shining in real world use....

Edge retention and wear resistance are not the same thing. In fact, edge retention and edge retention measured in catra testing are not the same thing. Lightly sawing across abrasive cardstock measures edge retention in a very specific use that is not necessarily representative of normal use. In reality, knives do not normally go dull primarily from abrasive wear unless you're cutting leather or cardboard etc. This is where edge stability affects edge retention. If your knife goes dull because mechanical loss of the edge from lateral forces or impact causing roll or microchipping or other forms of material loss that are not abrasive in nature then your knife is going dull from less than optimal edge stability, not low wear resistance.

Low hardness contributes to low edge stability. Obviously. But so does areas of low strength in the matrix such as retained austenite, RA that has decomposed into other non-martensitic structures such as bainite or pearlite or even secondary martensite with reduced cohesion to the surrounding matrix. Sometimes carbides can reduce edge stability. Nickel certainly does. Free chromium isn't helping. Pretty much anything that behaves like the perforations in a postage stamp can make an edge flake, roll, chip, mush. This is one reason why S30V was such a bummer, it was a bear to sharpen and it did not reward this effort with good edge retention.

Since a hard clean matrix with minimal inclusions and maximal uniformity tend to give the best edge stability, you will see the simple steels like 52100 and W2 outperform the more complex steels in this area. And since edge stability is a critical component in edge retention you will often see somewhat wear resistant simple steels outperform highly wear resistant complex steels in many tasks. This is one reason why I like AEBL. It has fantastic edge stability which gives it pretty good edge retention in most applications despite mediocre wear resistance. 3V, given the industry standard heat treat, does not have fantastic edge stability (carbon lean martensite, intentionally stabilized retained austenite and secondary carbides due to the slow quench, shallow quench, and use of the secondary hardening hump all done to minimize part growth and distortion risk) which sort of defeated the purpose of using a tough wear-resistant steel in rough use applications. This was the reason the Delta protocol was developed, to address its tendency to have a chippy mushy edge and bring it more in line with the simpler steels in a way that it was capable of due to its chemistry.

Had to read it a few times but a most excellent write up and one which will finally stick in my head.
So is it fair to say edge stability and wear resistance contribute to edge retention with edge stability being the much bigger factor and more indicative of real world use?
Also typo in line 2.....
^ This should be stickied some where and thank you for your time Nathan!

Back