Random Thought Thread

Jayzus! The titular CPK sheriff (me) needs to restore some needed order to this place very quickly today: one guy is already thinking about selling his spouse and another is hacking someone with two Samurais! When I return, I better see some nifty goat pics or else! You've been warned :p

So is this beauty breaking the internet tomorrow, or a week from tomorrow?
tenor.gif

Mmmmmagnesium:cool: (yes, I lit the shavings after drilling the lanyard hole;))

View attachment 1525237

I had a chemistry set as a kid with about a 12" piece of 1/8" wide magnesium ribbon. I'm sure it was supposed to be used in a bunch of different experiments.

What did I do with it? I took it outside and lit it on fire, all in one shot. (I can still feel that white light burning my retinas).

I had a chemistry set as a kid with about a 12" piece of 1/8" wide magnesium ribbon. I'm sure it was supposed to be used in a bunch of different experiments.

What did I do with it? I took it outside and lit it on fire, all in one shot. (I can still feel that white light burning my retinas).

Holy shit I did the exact same thing. I hung it over a tree limb. It was at dusk. It was so bright it lit up the whole backyard and made my eyes hurt to look at it. It was awesome. Would recommend. :thumbsup:

Holy shit I did the exact same thing. I hung it over a tree limb. It was at dusk. It was so bright it lit up the whole backyard and made my eyes hurt to look at it. It was awesome. Would recommend. :thumbsup:
Probably shouldn't get a roll of magnesium ribbon tape, cut off a length and roll it into a ball with one end sticking out and lighting the end on fire while most of the ball is submerged in an inch or two of water in a terracota saucer. Just sayin.

Holy chit. I used magnesium to start the fire tonight. I have a little bag of shavings I bought off EBay cause it’s way cooler than wax.

View attachment 1525563
Buying a baggie of magnesium shavings? Don't they sell those magnesium fire starter blocks where you are?

P.S.
What is it with 99% of the contestants on Survivor, smacking the flint rod with the knife, to light the pile of shavings? Do none of them understand the concept of scraping the blade down the flint rod? Much better shower of sparks, AND you don't risk breaking the flint rod (which I've seen them do, including during the $1,000,000 firemaking challenge at the end). Why would you NOT practice all this before going on a show where you're competing for $1,000,000?

I remember 10th grade chemistry. Teacher mixed up about a half cup of Thermite (aluminum powder and iron oxide?) And lit it off out in the parking lot as a demonstration. Students were in a circle, about 60 ft around. I remember feeling the heat off that from 30 ft away. Good lord those were the days.

Made our own hunting knives andeather sheaths in shop class. Still have that knife.

Then one time the teacher got pissed at one student and super glued his fingers together. But that's another story...

Back