Random Thought Thread

Would anyone want to trade a DEK1 for a double black canvas FK2?(EDIT: Looking for a DEK1 with double black canvas micarta, or black g10, thanks!!) Picked up this bad mama Jama at blade show, and itā€™s truly amazing, and I really think they DEK1 would be a better fit for me and my uses, Iā€™m hoping someone out there feels the opposite!

5gXSkJd.jpg

orhbXMO.jpg
Curious what your intended use is?
I canā€™t decide if I prefer my double black or burlap dek...

Curious what your intended use is?
I canā€™t decide if I prefer my double black or burlap dek...
I find that I like to carry fixed blades, Iā€™m not a big folding knife guy, (or a big guy for that matter) as Iā€™ve always felt like pocket knives are just ā€œbrokenā€ fixed blades, and Iā€™ve owned a lot of pocket knives, Sebenzaā€™s, Spydercoā€™s, Emersonā€™s, Benchmadeā€™s, Striders, etcā€¦

I feel like a dek1, from what Iā€™ve seen, would be better as an everyday larger-ish fixed blade edc knife. Good size for SD, but also great size for doin farm stuff, doing kitchen stuff, skinning/gutting animals, I think it would work great with a discreet carry concepts clip or ulti-clip in a pocket carry. (Or IWB) While the FK2 is, in my opinion, and exceptional knife, and trust me, I really do love it, and the size difference between the two, really isnā€™t that huge, Iā€™ll assuredly keep it if no one ends up trading with me. (all the knives Carothers make are truly exceptional, they are all well thought out amazing tools, full stop.) the best knife is the one you have on you, and if Iā€™m more inclined to carry itā€¦you get what Iā€™m sayinā€™

Iā€™m also a minimalist person and Iā€™m not a collector. Whether thats knives, hammers, axeā€™s or even guns, they are tools, and form should always follow function. Iā€™ve used my Skookum bush tool, and Murray Carter neck knife for just about everything, but the Carter is a tad small for defensive use, and the handles arenā€™t super grippy, but it's easy to sharpen, and works great as a EDC small fixed blade, The skookumā€™s scandi grind isn't great for anything but wood work, and Bushcrafty-ness. I also didnā€™t know how to freehand flat grinds when I bought it the SBT in 2011, so it was super easy to always keep it sharp, but I couldnā€™t carry it just out and about really, it was too big for pocket carry, so I just used it as a large neck knife, or back pocket, but that knife was meant to be used in the field, where bulky shaped comfortable handles and a thicker blade stock play more into itā€™s design.

I like to find things that fill a void, and I feel like the DEK1 fills multiple roles, and while it doesnā€™t do everything ā€œthe bestā€ it appears to fill all the roles that I require of a knife as it's intended usage as a tool.

PS: gimme that double black and Iā€™ll even add some cash! LOL

Last edited:
Back