Random Thought Thread

J
View attachment 1609374

The new Basic 5 inch Field Knife. I intended for this to be distributed on Amazon as a gateway drug, but Jo is not having it...

10 3/8" total length. 3/16" stock thickness. .040 BTE, 20 DPS. HRC 60.5 Delta 3V. 10 ounces.

The handles are a little thinner, there's no thumb ramp jimping, it isn't skeletonized, and the chamfers are minimal. It was designed as an experiment to make an affordable knife to introduce on Amazon, although I'm been talked out of distributing there so I guess we'll sell them here and on our website.

I don't expect this pattern to be popular with people accustomed to our signature products but it will be a hell of a good value for just a simple basic knife.
Just wondering what these come in at weight wise?

Random thought:

If the Valiant Jungle Golok slips from the scabbard when you're done working in the yard, sharpening, and oiling....don't try to grab it as it slides.

Just back from the ER...six stitches in strong hand pinky, seven in ring finger.

What a dumbass.

This has been a public service announcement.

(At least I can sharpen.)

Valiant Golok.jpg

Random thought:

If the Valiant Jungle Golok slips from the scabbard when you're done working in the yard, sharpening, and oiling....don't try to grab it as it slides.

Just back from the ER...six stitches in strong hand pinky, seven in ring finger.

What a dumbass.

View attachment 1610797

You took one for the team!

betzner betzner had a similar incident with a dropped CPK that resulted in a pretty serious wound on the ankle.

Random thought:

What a dumbass.

View attachment 1610797

Damn reflexes! That has to be one of the hardest things to do ... train your brain to not grab at sharp things when they fall. Hope you heal up fast.

Random thought:

What a dumbass.

View attachment 1610797
Oof, sorry to hear that. 😬 I cringe just thinking about it. Hope you heal quick!

Random thought:

What a dumbass.

View attachment 1610797
I have the same model, and it did me up pretty good once. The edge on those things can get downright ornery

You'll shoot your eye out kid!
My most recent cut was from sharpening my smatchet. The unusual blade shape can sneak up on you. It didn't seem like much but it's been a few months now so the dent/scar on my finger seems to be a keeper.
My hands and their resultant stitches can tell quite a tale...from axes and knives to gravel, and a drug addled knife assailant.

Stuff happens and doesn't seem likely to stop anytime soon.

Damn reflexes! That has to be one of the hardest things to do ... train your brain to not grab at sharp things when they fall. Hope you heal up fast.
Not really. I learned pretty darned quick to switch from 'the snatch'n'grab' to 'the dance' when it comes to sharp or hot crap.

(The dance is the funky chicken where you try to get your feet out of the way. Might look dumb, but if it works...)

Random thought:

What a dumbass.

View attachment 1610797
Jesus man, glad you are alright. I missed all the fun today!

I've never owned a Busse.
I guess their marketing department forgot to film a crazy guy calmly describing heat treat procedures while chopping up cinder blocks...
You probably missed this video, from a while ago
Watch it till the end. You'll notice that Nathan considered (still does?) INFI the gold standard for rough use.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/page-46#post-17364537 - read this post, the part about the HDFK and INFI ;).

Also, there are these: https://www.bladeforums.com/search/308282/?q=Jerry&c[users]=Nathan+the+Machinist&o=relevance

Personal opinion - I have both, I like both. A lot. If you haven't tried INFI, you should.
Cheers,
C.

EtA Read that GKD thread... still does :)

Last edited:
Back