Random Thought Thread

My trip to Florida (where I lived for about 23 years) was like a trip down memory lane . . .

Took my daughter to Kennedy Space Center (KSC) and it was so different than when we were last there about 14 years ago . . . but she loved it. And I happened upon a radio there that I last held in my hands nearly 38 years ago.

MX 300 from Space Shuttle.jpg

It was a MX300 series public safety walky talky, modified to meet space shuttle requirements and custom programmed to operate on amaterur radio two meter frequencies. My technician at Motorola where I worked at the time was in charge of putting that radio together, programming it, and shepherding it through NASA tests. It was so weird to see that same radio again, nearly 38 years later, in a display case at KSC together with a picture of Astronaut Owen Garriott and a little description about the event when NASA put a Ham radio into space and Owen Garriott talked to folks on Earth.

While in Orlando I took my daughter to Charley's Steak House. I went there with my parents (RIP) a bunch of times in the 1980s - it was one of my Dad's favorites. I haven't been there since 1988 or 1989. Didn't seem to me that much had changed in 32-33 years except the prices. It was terrific and in fact my daughter proclaimed it the best steak she had ever had. Made me a little sad because I pride myself on my ability to obtain really top notch USDA Prime steaks and cook them perfectly. But I had a couple of bites of her steak (I had a pork chop) and I could not argue with her. Not cheap, but what a meal!

Anyway, It was fun taking a walk down memory lane and showing my daughter some things associated with my life in Florida in the 1980s before I moved away for good.

My trip to Florida (where I lived for about 23 years) was like a trip down memory lane . . .

Took my daughter to Kennedy Space Center (KSC) and it was so different than when we were last there about 14 years ago . . . but she loved it. And I happened upon a radio there that I last held in my hands nearly 38 years ago.

View attachment 1616340

It was a MX300 series public safety walky talky,

38 years ago we were using that same model with my first federal LE agency in NYC. (I went to South FL to work in the same line of work in 1987 for the following 17 years.)

Here's to you...🥃

Sorry to hear that. I had a group of six and we went to Disney Hollywood Studios and EPCOT and everyone but me had a lot of fun. Masks required indoors, but not o
utdoors. Just way too hot and humid for me to enjoy. I will never go back there anytime from May to September under any circumstances. If you're able to go and would like my tips and pointers, just shoot me a PM.

I appreciate that, thank you. Us “kids” might go for four days. Not sure yet but that seems like the most likely plan at the moment.

If anyone wanted to see the finished project from this weekend here ya go…hung a new light too.
27L692L.jpg

xb3gSrL.jpg

Anyone have/have had a Spyderco para 3 and what do you think?
I am not really a folder guy, I literally only own 2 decent ones. But lately found wanting and thinking of picking up a para 3 lw while waiting for CPKs next model/s

Any other recommendations?
I trust you CPK folk.
I'd want to spend under $150 and save the big bucks for CPK fixed

Last edited:
Anyone have/have had a Spyderco para 3 and what do you think?
I am not really a folder guy, I literally only own 2 decent ones. But lately found wanting and thinking of picking up a para 3 lw while waiting for CPKs next model/s

Any other recommendations?
I trust you CPK folk.
I'd want to spend under $150 and save the bug bucks for CPK fixed
I had a Para 3 once but ultimately got rid of it, it was just to wide for such a small knife. Just my opinion of course. If you want a smaller lightweight knife that competes I really cant recommend anything other then a Benchmade Bugout. It’s a really great knife and punches above its weight in my opinion. I put titanium scales on mine, but I never thought the blue grivory scales felt cheap or weak or anything. A really great lightweight knife.

I had a Para 3 once but ultimately got rid of it, it was just to wide for such a small knife. Just my opinion of course. If you want a smaller lightweight knife that competes I really cant recommend anything other then a Benchmade Bugout. It’s a really great knife and punches above its weight in my opinion. I put titanium scales on mine, but I never thought the blue grivory scales felt cheap or weak or anything. A really great lightweight knife.
Hey thanks for that.
I actually have a benchmade mini presidio 2 which is very similar and I love but wanted some thing equal but diverse.

I have a couple of Para 3's and love them. I carry one in Cruwear just about every day.

Great glad to hear that :)
Any blade-play or F&F issues? I've heard of some on the standard model

Back