Random Thought Thread

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

How goes the battle with the hornets?

Hope you guys have prevailed or are at least winning the war.

not super fantastic. I followed some advice from someone on the internet that said to bait it with cat food and then switch the bait with poisoned cat food but so far they're not attracted to the bait.

had one get in the house yesterday. I dispatched it with my sebenza. It was super heroic

Random thought of the day: the song "tainted Love" has a very different meaning when viewed from the context of the modern use of the word "taint"

had one get in the house yesterday. I dispatched it with my sebenza. It was super heroic

Random thought of the day: the song "tainted Love" has a very different meaning when viewed from the context of the modern use of the word "taint"
Sorry to hear the hornet issues continue.

As to the other...sounds like someone's been looking for love in all the wrong places. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

not super fantastic. I followed some advice from someone on the internet that said to bait it with cat food and then switch the bait with poisoned cat food but so far they're not attracted to the bait.

Was it the poisoned cat food they avoided, or were they just not interested in cat food in general?

Raw ground chicken usually works (and you don't really need a lot of Sevin/Tempo/Delta dust to do the job).

Keep in mind that pyrethrins and pyrethroids can be sensed/detected by a lot of bugs. While it can kill them on contact, they'll avoid it if used as a residual, so the type of insecticide used, matters (eg. If you use something like Ortho Home Defense which uses bifenthrin, they might avoid the bait completely. Some pesticides work by deterring the bugs that can detect them, others work because the bugs don't detect them and it kills them when they come in contact with it).

The internet recommended wet cat food. They say the giant hornets can clean out a can over night. You're supposed to give them unadulterated wet cat food for a couple nights and then start mixing in a little bit of poison. The poison recommended, I forget the name of it, but it's something you put on your dogs to kill fleas and ticks that you can buy at the grocery store. It's the one you're not supposed to get on cats. But we haven't got that far, they're not eating the wet cat food.

I read it somewhere here about Nathan and Lorien talking about the wicked tip speed you can get with the LC, and I just wanted to confirm it is a awesome, real thing. That LC destroys shit, and it goes right through Doug fir 1 1/2” to 2” branches like butter. I got to test the LC out all day yesterday and it is freaking awesome. I can only imagine the kind of damage a MC or HC would do with a little more weight and thickness. This LC is all I need though, it can chop down a tree too. 😂🤣 Thanks for designing kickass knives Nathan and Lorien. I enjoy using all of them.

The internet recommended wet cat food. They say the giant hornets can clean out a can over night. You're supposed to give them unadulterated wet cat food for a couple nights and then start mixing in a little bit of poison. The poison recommended, I forget the name of it, but it's something you put on your dogs to kill fleas and ticks that you can buy at the grocery store. It's the one you're not supposed to get on cats. But we haven't got that far, they're not eating the wet cat food.
Sounds like Permethrin.

Sounds like Permethrin.
Yup. Permethrin is one of the pyrethrin/pyrethroid class pesticides that are toxic to cats (as well as fish and amphibians).

If they aren't attracted to the bait though, then try something else (maybe they're hoity toity Hornets and prefer more expensive cat food? 😂).

Take part of a raw chicken breast and put it in a blender.

Keep the same protocol but try switching to raw burger. Preaching to the choir I'm sure, but keep that $h*t where nothing else can get to it.

Keep the same protocol but try switching to raw burger. Preaching to the choir I'm sure, but keep that $h*t where nothing else can get to it.
Yep. My original recommendation was to put it on a paper plate inside something like a pet carrier. The hornets can easily pass the grill, but it keeps animals out (if ants are greedy, oh well...).

Also pretty easy to make a cage out of something like 1" hardware cloth.

Back