Random Thought Thread

i-jpdhVZ4-X2.jpg

German translation: "Lebenden Kraken essen."

I've heard about the folks who do this - from my understanding, it is part theatrics and part cultural. Regardless, it seriously grosses me out.

I've heard about the folks who do this - from my understanding, it is part theatrics and part cultural. Regardless, it seriously grosses me out.

Me too.

They are actually very cool animals. This is the wife and me playing with a life “Kraken” (German) in an aquarium in Alaska. He was playfully touching and smelling our hands.

i-wsVFTmT.jpg

I got to watch the Air Force Thunderbirds perform when I worked out of our outfit's air wing at Homestead AFB. Then I got to belly up to the bar with them and swap stories. That was kind of cool.

ETA: In 1992, this was the last show they put on at Homestead AFB for the next 17 years. The base was badly damaged by Hurricane Andrew and it was nearly scrapped before they decided to turn it into a reserve AFB. I found the following youtube video online.

We had our Black Hawks and various fixed wing, (prop and jet), aircraft as well as our air interdiction and air smuggling ops based there.

I lost a friend and colleague there on an op (I wasn't involved with) when I worked there in the late 80's, but had the honor and pleasure of arresting the crew he was chasing that night some time later with the SRT I was a member of:

I got to watch the Air Force Thunderbirds perform when I worked out of our outfit's air wing at Homestead AFB. Then I got to belly up to the bar with them and swap stories. That was kind of cool.
Those are the moments we look back on and realize how rare and amazing it was.

Back in the mid 90s I got to fly with Mr. Bob Hoover, who is the guy who chased Chuck Yeager when he broke the speed of sound in the X1. Mr. Hoover went on to a long career flying in airshows. It was a very odd set of circumstances that put me in the seat behind him, but what a great pilot and an awesome gentleman.

ETA: In 1992, this was the last show they put on at Homestead AFB for the next 17 years. The base was badly damaged by Hurricane Andrew and it was nearly scrapped before they decided to turn it into a reserve AFB. I found the following youtube video online.

We had our Black Hawks and various fixed wing, (prop and jet), aircraft as well as our air interdiction and air smuggling ops based there.

I lost a friend and colleague there on an op (I wasn't involved with) when I worked there in the late 80's, but had the honor and pleasure of arresting the crew he was chasing that night some time later with the SRT I was a member of:

We need a new like button: [respect]

Japan has some cruel food, man. Look up dancing squid. Or don’t. I haven’t eaten octopus, squid, or cuttlefish since I lived there. I’ve come to really like them, too. Clever little guys.

Back