RangerGrip 79 opening stiffness

Hope you folks can help me with a problem. Took my knife camping and it got some grit in the knife blade hinge; you could hear it grinding. So I washed it out with soap and water, rinsed and let it dry thoroughly. Then I lubed the moving parts with a drop of penetrating oil. The grinding sound is gone, but the knife hinge is stiffer to the point where it’s much harder to open with one hand than it was previously. It opens smoothly enough, and if it wasn’t a OH opener, you’d never notice the difference.

Any ideas?

Maybe fill a small container, or ziplock bag, with just enough oil (mineral is what I use) to submerge the joint for a few hours to give it a good soaking.

There could be some grit between the blade and the spring near the hinge point. I got some grit in there once when in my uncoordinated fashion dropped an open knife in some dirt. The give away was the back of the spring set up a few thousandths of an inch from being flush of the back of the frame. Judicious use of an air hose while manipulating the blade several times and adding some more lubricant cured mine.

Back