Rant incoming - Purchasing processes suck in knife world.

Rant on

FFS I have a brand new first time PayPal started just to buy knives. I have never had so much trouble parting with my money.

Knife sellers please consult experts in online trade as it's not in your skillset.

Rant off.

Mods feel free to delete nothing going on here.

I had some not so smooth attempts at paying a custom maker out of Russia, but in the end we figured it out and I have an amazing custom.
#worthit

Buy from me - easy as can be :thumbsup: :)

Frustrating to me how many vendors don't use PP forcing me to use a credit card. That generally stop the purchase. Using PP for me is the same as cash/check and so item is paid for upon purchase. Credit for knives bad form. Yeah, yeah, just pay the bill at the end of the month. :rolleyes: Just sayin' - rather use cash, i.e. PP.

All my shipping details, payment details, security... etc is built into my PayPal that's why I got the thing. Shouldn't have to be typing all that personal info into e-forms on a vendor website with who knows what security risks.

Last edited:
I’ve been so spoiled by Apple Pay that even using PayPal now feels like a chore. Guess it’s all relative.

Had a sad experience with a BF seller recently. He couldn't figure out something on PP, so wouldn't complete the sale. Saved me some $, but cost me a deal. Ob-la-di ob-la-da

some vendors have "fast checkout" with paypal. Just sign in with paypal and all done.

Just had an issue with a transaction on Etsy. Paypal apparently flagged the word 'Persian' and is 'reviewing' the transaction.
I don't mind them doing their thing, either approve it or cancel it!
Don't just sit on funds.
BTW I'm purchasing a custom upswept Persian blade. Thank goodness the seller didnt list it as 'Persian fighter!'
I'd probably have the FBI knocking at my door.

that's unreal ... can't believe they try to do nonsense like that - welcome to 1984

Rant on

FFS I have a brand new first time PayPal started just to buy knives. I have never had so much trouble parting with my money.

Knife sellers please consult experts in online trade as it's not in your skillset.

Rant off.

Mods feel free to delete nothing going on here.

My man, do you use cash at all in online sales? Do you want to wait days for cash, check, or money order to be mailed to someone before they ship out your purchase? Do you expect someone to ask for your debit card # directly?

PayPal is the easiest/safest/quickest way to get your money from a variety of storage options into the hands of the other party, I'm not sure what process you want to use but I don't see it being any quicker or safer than PayPal.

Most knifemakers are just people like you who don't have the ability to process money any better than you do, and even more sellers here on BF are also just normal people too.

Just had an issue with a transaction on Etsy. Paypal apparently flagged the word 'Persian' and is 'reviewing' the transaction.
I don't mind them doing their thing, either approve it or cancel it!
Don't just sit on funds.
BTW I'm purchasing a custom upswept Persian blade. Thank goodness the seller didnt list it as 'Persian fighter!'
I'd probably have the FBI knocking at my door.

There are a few keywords that get transactions flagged in PayPal, like "Persian" "Damascus" "knife" etc. but normally they are only flagged in the comments left by the buyer; don't type those words into your comments and your transactions shouldn't be flagged.

It used to frustrate me, but I have gotten to the point where if I don't like the way a site handles things, I just buy from someone else. It is still annoying, but if I got angry every time that happened I'd be angry a lot. It isn't worth it.

that's unreal ... can't believe they try to do nonsense like that - welcome to 1984

While it's annoying to the innocent folks that get caught up in it, it's not designed (from what I understand) as a method to control the masses.

It is to protect themselves so they do not become a conduit to funnel money to terrorist organizations.

While it's annoying to the innocent folks that get caught up in it, it's not designed (from what I understand) as a method to control the masses.

It is to protect themselves so they do not become a conduit to funnel money to terrorist organizations.

Sure, I agree with not sending money to terrorists... but 'persian' somehow being translated to that is absolutely pedantic & just plain wrong.

The words used - like 'persian rug' - have nothing to do with who gets money. Paypals algorithm is just stupid - it needs to be examining the account & actual identities for actual ties to known terrorist organizations. Flagging a word like 'persian' is the most lazy & useless approach I could have imagined. They seem to employ 9 year old programmers I guess?

Sure, I agree with not sending money to terrorists... but 'persian' somehow being translated to that is absolutely pedantic & just plain wrong.

The words used - like 'persian rug' - have nothing to do with who gets money. Paypals algorithm is just stupid - it needs to be examining the account & actual identities for actual ties to known terrorist organizations. Flagging a word like 'persian' is the most lazy & useless approach I could have imagined. They seem to employ 9 year old programmers I guess?

It would be virtually impossible to look at every transaction and see who is sending money to who then follow where that money goes and what it is used for.

That is why they use flag key words. Think about it. What's more likely to be an actual memo of money going to terrorists, "Persian rug", "gift for my cousin in Damascus " or "money for Al Qaeda".

The dummies that put the last are already in Gitmo or JDAM'd and the others have learned to use shell companies and accounts.

While not a perfect system, those on the up and up will get their funds released after some time and annoyance. So while it's annoying, just learn from others and write something else.

If you have a better plan or can write better algorithms that will catch them without affecting innocents, I am sure PayPal or other companies would love to employ you. US Gov probably too.

Last edited:
Maybe just get a pre-paid debit card at Walmart and load about $1000.00 bucks on it.
Use that card for online purchases.
It's not linked to your actual bank account, so no one can drain your bank account.

You folks are giving the terrorists and their backers a bit to much credit. A lot of them are that dumb.

The smarter ones aren't using Venmo/Paypal to transfer funds. The dumber ones get caught.

I buy many more things than I sell and I have not had any problems w/PayPal as a buyer or seller.

As a buyer, I like the additional consumer protections provided by PayPal and the ability to still use a credit card w/o divulging that info to every vendor that I buy something from, while still having the right to seek recourse directly w/my credit card company if PayPal (or EB, if that's where I buy the item) does not resolve any disputes satisfactorily, even though eBay and PayPay have always resolved any disputes before I needed to do that.

As a seller using G&S, I of course don't like the fees I have to pay but they are nominal compared to the outrageous fees I just got charged by EB which I only use as a marketplace of last resort.

Last edited:
Back