Rant incoming - Purchasing processes suck in knife world.

I guess I don't understand the problem. You fill out the form or PayPal dies, either way the information goes in the boxes to the company you are buying from, and shows up as such before you select "pay now" on their page.
You don't trust the site enough to put your information in the boxes but trust them enough to actually send you straight to PayPal without a filter skimming your username, password, etc?

I generally buy only from vendors I use regularly and trust. Coincidentally I have an "account" set up with my basic information already there, all I have to do is use PayPal or in few cases enter my payment information in (rare).

Be glad we don't live in the days anymore where you have to fill out an order form, send your cash or check in the mail, and wait 6-10 weeks for delivery after payment and processing takes place.

Processes now take less than a few minutes at most. Shipped the next day, generally delivered in a week. If you don't trust the company or their security, probably need to find someone else to do business with or buy in person, and even that's not a guarantee.

Buy from me - easy as can be :thumbsup: :)

Frustrating to me how many vendors don't use PP forcing me to use a credit card. That generally stop the purchase. Using PP for me is the same as cash/check and so item is paid for upon purchase. Credit for knives bad form. Yeah, yeah, just pay the bill at the end of the month. :rolleyes: Just sayin' - rather use cash, i.e. PP.
I started my PayPal acct just to buy knives from overseas. Too much trouble using credit card, having to call bank to tell them to approve purchase, businesses closing overseas just as morning is starting here, etc. Looking at my history, that's pretty much all I've used it for. And Bladeforum membership.

Just had an issue with a transaction on Etsy. Paypal apparently flagged the word 'Persian' and is 'reviewing' the transaction.
I don't mind them doing their thing, either approve it or cancel it!
Don't just sit on funds.
BTW I'm purchasing a custom upswept Persian blade. Thank goodness the seller didnt list it as 'Persian fighter!'
I'd probably have the FBI knocking at my door.

Follow up:
transaction went through
no questions asked

Hi all, As far as credit card processing on-line (electronically) Visa and the other big CC providers have set standards that must be used. These rules or protocols must be met. There is a long list of how this works. From the Vendor (company you buy the goods from) to the Merchant service (company that handles the CC transaction) to the software and hardware they are using (this a short list). It goes a lot further than that. Pay Pal is a vendor of electronic services. They may use the same merchant service company that other Vendors use. They may own there own.

But all said and done. All these standards must be met before a transaction can be processed no matter who you use. Pay Pal may be safer if you are buying from a individual or a company over seas. But if you are buying from a domestic dealer I would say there is no difference. If you do not want give out you debit card which is attached to your account. Use a CC card or what some one mentioned a Prepaid card. Even they can go afoul.

Any way I am no expert. But I did work in computer business for 23 years where the systems I sold and setup processed CC. And for a CC company (merchant service).

Rich K.

Sure, I agree with not sending money to terrorists... but 'persian' somehow being translated to that is absolutely pedantic & just plain wrong.

The words used - like 'persian rug' - have nothing to do with who gets money. Paypals algorithm is just stupid - it needs to be examining the account & actual identities for actual ties to known terrorist organizations. Flagging a word like 'persian' is the most lazy & useless approach I could have imagined. They seem to employ 9 year old programmers I guess?
Seems like one of the easiest no risk ways to flag transactions to look at. They've been doing it for at least the decade I've been on paypal. You'd think they would stop if it was the waste of time you claim. But hey, maybe the 50 billion dollar company could use your advice. Have you emailed them on this subject?

Rant on

FFS I have a brand new first time PayPal started just to buy knives. I have never had so much trouble parting with my money.

Knife sellers please consult experts in online trade as it's not in your skillset.

Rant off.

Mods feel free to delete nothing going on here.
Can you be more clear with the problem you are having? From your posts, it looks to me like you are frustrated that dealers don't accept paypal, and you are being asked to use your credit/debit accounts. Is that correct?

Can you be more clear with the problem you are having? From your posts, it looks to me like you are frustrated that dealers don't accept paypal, and you are being asked to use your credit/debit accounts. Is that correct?

That's about right, but it's ok, I didn't do the purchase and have moved on.

I found a vendor that works for me, the trade off for the easy one click purchase I was looking for is I now have to take it in the ass with price gouging.

All good once I get some lube.

You guys chat amongst yourselves I have no further input on the topic.

Last edited:
From what I have seen in the custom knife groups Im in, Paypal is the only way to go, Venmo always raises questions, I have no idea why, I’ve seen people trying to sell and taking Venmo only and it raises flags in the group, unless someone can vouch for both parties, Paypal is the way

That's about right, but it's ok, I didn't do the purchase and have moved on.

I found a vendor that works for me, the trade off for the easy one click purchase I was looking for is I now have to take it in the ass with price gouging.

All good once I get some lube.

You guys chat amongst yourselves I have no further input on the topic.
Hmm...seems an odd thing to be upset about. I'm glad you found an acceptable solution?

Back