Raptor initial thoughts and few comparison pics...

rpn

Gold Member
To get straight to it...love it! :D

It's smaller than I thought and the pics are deceiving. Here are some in hand photos- but I'll tell ya- it's smaller than it looks!

While I have no photos of it at work- it's a terror in the kitchen with meats. The point is uber handy and that curve just slices and slices... :thumbsup:

Here's a comparison pic that may help folks...a Recluse

With a few other blades...Scrap Yard Wiener Dog...love my trailing points! And Winkler Belt Knife, Swamp Rat Bandicoot and Jim Bensinger Street Barong.

Which brings me to a last point for the moment. I remember it being mentioned that the design was both handy in the kitchen or small game and had self-defense application. I did martial arts for many years and love handling knives and thinking about them in this context. I'm also in the Army Guard and my Bandicoot and/or Winkler are may in-case-of-deployment fixed blades. That being said- this is an evil and fast knife in hand. The handle design is amazing and locks the knife in your hand. Bravo! If it was a bit beefier, I could see it as a combat utility knife, but the design is lighter than that IMO. I haven't done any cutting drills yet to compare it to the others. BTW- the Street Barong is an insane design that slices and thrusts to a degree the others can't match.

Anyhoo...something to read and look at. Photobucket doing a faceplant has slowed my posting up.

But, I wanted a Raptor since they came out and was very happy to grab one on the secondary market last month. Great design and I need a sheath for it now!

Last edited:
To get straight to it...love it! :D

It's smaller than I thought and the pics are deceiving. Here are some in hand photos- but I'll tell ya- it's smaller than it looks!

While I have no photos of it at work- it's a terror in the kitchen with meats. The point is uber handy and that curve just slices and slices... :thumbsup:

Here's a comparison pic that may help folks...a Recluse

With a few other blades...Scrap Yard Wiener Dog...love my trailing points! And Winkler Belt Knife, Swamp Rat Bandicoot and Jum Bensinger Street Barong.

Which brings me to a last point for the moment. I remember it being mentioned that the design was both handy in the kitchen or small game and had self-defense application. I did martial arts for many years and love handling knives and thinking about them in this context. I'm also in the Army Guard and my Bandicoot and/or Winkler are may in-case-of-deployment fixed blades. That being said- this is an evil and fast knife in hand. The handle design is amazing and locks the knife in your hand. Bravo! If it was a bit beefier, I could see it as a combat utility knife, but the design is lighter than that IMO. I haven't done any cutting drills yet to compare it to the others. BTW- the Street Barong is an insane design that slices and thrusts to a degree the others can't match.

Anyhoo...something to read and look at. Photobucket doing a faceplant has slowed my posting up.

But, I wanted a Raptor since they came out and was very happy to grab one on the secondary market last month. Great design and I need a sheath for it now!

That is an Awesome little write up! I really like your comparison photos with the other Blades as well as the pictures of you holding it! It is always a great pleasure for me when someone gets piece I made and likes it enough to share there thoughts on it, for that I thank you!

I do have one thing to add, when the design came into conception it was meant to be as you stated above a B&T as well as a small the medium games skinner with some offensive capabilities, the original design was in 1/8" which would be more than enough for deployment applications, but due to customer demand and feedback I started making them in 3/32" to satisfy the more domestic duties the knife is designed for.

Very nice write up, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Here is what I think about the Raptor.

The Raptor is an awesome blade. I have the K Variant model and mine is 1/8" thick and it slices like a dream. I used mine a lot this summer during salmon season. The curved blade with the fine tip made it easy to slide under the gill plates so I could cut the gills to bleed my salmon. The Raptor easily filleted out my fish and broke them down even more once I was home. To say that I love this knife would be an understatement and it has earned it's place as one of my favorite knives.

Very nice write up, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Here is what I think about the Raptor.

The Raptor is an awesome blade. I have the K Variant model and mine is 1/8" thick and it slices like a dream. I used mine a lot this summer during salmon season. The curved blade with the fine tip made it easy to slide under the gill plates so I could cut the gills to bleed my salmon. The Raptor easily filleted out my fish and broke them down even more once I was home. To say that I love this knife would be an understatement and it has earned it's place as one of my favorite knives.

Man, I love hearing this, and that the knife has become a regular in your rotation of knives. I remember you posting up some pictures awhile back on Facebook. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with this blade too!

I wish I was catching fish to clean...been skunked the last 2x out! :confused:

The more I use the knife, the more I like it and appreciate it. Last night I was noticing the texture of the scales...just rough enough for enhanced grip...perfect!

And I really think you are on to something with this handle design- it's something special. :thumbsup:

I wish I was catching fish to clean...been skunked the last 2x out! :confused:

The more I use the knife, the more I like it and appreciate it. Last night I was noticing the texture of the scales...just rough enough for enhanced grip...perfect!

And I really think you are on to something with this handle design- it's something special. :thumbsup:

I really dig the handle design too! I feel like it has become one of the hallmarks in alot of my designs!

I am glad you picked up on the scale finish, I sandblast the Micarta and G10 handles for a little extra grip, when the handle it wet it increases the grippyness ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: rpn
I got my charcoal grey K2 Raptor yesterday. I am not sure how else to put it, but this is one wicked blade! I mean that in the best way possible. Extremely comfortable in the hand and extremely sharp. I mean easily the sharpest knife that I have ever received straight from the maker.
I can't turn this into a full review yet, just my initial impression. More to follow later.
The plan is for it to live mostly in the knife block and get used in the kitchen. I need to find a sheath for it though because it will be going on some camping trips as well.
After talking to some sheath makers I think I may have to go with a nice kydex sheath.
I am glad I decided to get this knife. I have been looking and looking at the Raptor for a while. So far it has been worth it.

Back