Rare Gems

Like all of you, I'm eagerly anticipating Cold Steel's new releases for this year. Cold Steel never seems to lack for fresh ideas, and each year's catalog offers a new set of designs (and sometimes whole new categories of products) to entice. But some recent posts have also called to mind a few items from The Old Days.

I'd like this thread to be a repository for some of the scarcer items, old and new, from Cold Steel's history. I'm hoping that it will be sort of a collector's resource/show-and-tell. But unlike Mr. Lauffer's excellent histories of specific models, I want this to be a catch-all. To get the ball rolling, I'll start with two that I own and have had for a long time and two that are recent special runs.

This first one is the Kiridashi (not to be confused with the Mini Tac Kiridashi). This knife was a regular catalog offering (so not particularly special), but it didn't last long and I rarely see it even referred to. While a typically representative Japanese utility knife, it's got Cold Steel's unique tactical flair. The sheath makes it quite wearable/pocketable, and the handle is constructed for tactile orientation, with a flat side corresponding to the unground side of the blade.

IMG-4841.jpg

IMG-4842.jpg

IMG-4843.jpg

Next up is a first-generation, Parkerized SRK that I purchased from Cutlery Shoppe around 1989. Other than the blade finish, there's little to distinguish it from the SRK models that would follow. The SRK is one of those designs that was pretty flawless from the start.

IMG-4844.jpg

IMG-4845.jpg

IMG-4846.jpg

IMG-4847.jpg

The next knife (photo isn't mine) is the Rajah II Blackout, an exclusive run that Cold Steel had made for Chattanooga Shooting Supplies in 2014. Not much was ever written about this model, and I have no idea how the collaboration came to pass. The basics are here in the announcement:

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/07/cha...d-to-announce-the-new-rajah-ii/#axzz4Uu2Yg8RQ

IMG-4848.jpg

The blade coating is Tuff-Ex, so it isn't quite as interesting as a DLC-coated blade might have been. But it still makes for a rare beauty. The Peacent shares photos of his every once in a while (in case any of you saw his and were wondering about its origins).

I recently discovered the existence of this knife purely by chance, as I'd never heard about it. It's a special-edition run of the G.I. Tanto that Cold Steel had made for the members of a metal band called Whitechapel in 2016. [Photo isn't mine.]

IMG-1513.gif

Everything that I know about the knife is contained within this article:
http://www.tactical-life.com/news/cold-steel-knives-whitechapel/

OK, the gauntlet has been laid down. And I realize that my meagre start isn't even going to come close to some of the rarities that I'm sure you guys have. Please post with knives of your own, or with more information about those I've included.

-Steve

P.S. - If any of you posts an actual picture of this knife (from page 162 of Knives '84), you automatically win the thread!

IMG-4849.jpg

Last edited:
Lets see...along the lines of the SRK, I have an SRX, which is an uncoated SRK. Not sure when they were made, but wasn't very long...think I've only seen one other.
f8jrQBx.jpg

gyG2ZQg.jpg

Also have a AUS10 Tanto that they only made 40 of...also only seen one other. Mine is #24. Kind of hard to read, but says "AUS10A STEEL NO. 24"
XdBVilM.jpg

8eSGPkfl.jpg

On the old side, I have an Urban Shiv and Urban Pal, from Cold Steel's very beginings in the early 80s:
vD8Z2VG.jpg

My other rarities include a Flight of the Intruder Trail Master, Emperor Collection Tantos, original Recon Tanto with beadblasted blade and brass fittings, and an original military-only Recon Scout with slight recurve. Here is the original Recon Scout (top) along with a "sterile" Recon Scout (bottom)...can see the subtle recurve, as well as the difference in finish...more like parkerized instead of epoxy coated. So there were 3 versions of the Carbon V Recon Scout...1st was sterile, recurved, and issued to military only...2nd was also sterile but no recurve...3rd was the full-blown production version with markings.
LNY0RZC.jpg

0Nq5F8R.jpg

I also have an oddball push dagger. It is identical to the Terminator, but the box is labeled Magnum Skinner. I believe they were originally going to call it the Magnum Skinner (which makes sense since they also had the single edge Urban Skinner at the time), and even had some boxes made up, but then decided to rename it Terminator. I actually had another Terminator where the Terminator label was applied over a Magnum Skinner label.
IoU61Bk.jpg

Last edited:
I recently scored an early LNIB Carbon V SRK on "the bay" for a great price. Looks just like that one. The first things I noticed were how low the grind was and how correspondingly thick the edge was compared to newer models. Given how insanely durable the newer ones are, I have little doubt that you could hack your way through tank armor with the older one without issue. :D I'll see about posting up a comparison pic between old and new. Stand by.

AUS-8 model above:

DSC00167_zpsquhuj4ar.jpg

Old Carbon V tip on left (not the best pic due to shadows and photobombing cat, but you get the idea :D)

DSC00168_zpsgm1khdba.jpg

And no, the CV isn't longer. The cat knocked them over and they shifted a bit when I set them back up.

A somewhat closer and better tip comparison, CV on right this time.

DSC00170_zpsvdau5rfg.jpg

Last edited:
Well I've sure long searched and hunted for older models, the best of Cold Steel IMO were between 1995-2005 and those I've loved and cared for the most.

20160220_174757_zpsdn82fuut.jpg

I have my share of those, but here are some favorites I love and will comment on, paired with others I'm still looking for:
Rajah I and Blackout Rajah II, the beasties and beauties that I display while I beat on the Bead Blast Rajahs, I also got a Rajah III but still want a serrated Rajah III to complete the set

20160225_171429_zpskpmejrgl.jpg

I own the SE and PE XL Tantos and both X2 Voyagers, plus the SE XL Voyager (the 5 incher), only one missing is the 5" PE XL Voyager.

20160220_174012_zpsrfupmttu.jpg

20160211_163859_zpsvbmba2x9.jpg

love the slim and thin profile, never found an XL PE to buy for a reasonable price or in good condition, I drool over pics of it even today!

CAM03268_zps2kfwrsne.jpg

In my collection there's a true favorite, the 5" Gunsite, but I am searching for a nice deal on the 4" one, they pop up often but $ is tight and collectibles are expensive...:mad:

20151209_160526_zpsyehnh7ls.jpg

My love for SE oldies is infinite. My Vaquero Grande just needs a Lobo and XL Vaquero to make the perfect recurve Trifecta,

CAM02689_zpso5lqzbhk.jpg

To compliment my TiLites I'd sure like to own a Paradox and both the Hatamoto and ArcAngel tanto would be sweet tantos for the Tanto set (can't have enough CS Tantos can you? :rolleyes:)
that makes it for folders, I guess I'm only leaving the old Black Talon behind (beauty folder) but that's a dream too big, too expensive and almost too far away I'd say. As for fixed blades, my favorite oldies I ain't got yet are the Long Hunter, Braveheart, Para Edge, on top of those the Terminator (Safe Maker is fine, but I'd love to upgrade mine)

20151209_160139_zpsvextq7go.jpg

and the real serrated beast I'm lusting after, the Serrated Kobun. It's my perfect "straight blade" version of my truly favorite Cold Steel fixed knife, one also discontinued, the Desperado

20151209_160009_zpsntteruiv.jpg

last but not least I'd love putting my hands on a Pro Guard as I liked the CRKT Dragon, SPEW and similar designs.
New ones are cool but I always prefer the old ones, and now that the Talwars and Hold Outs are disappearing from the catalog (those were my favorite XLs of current production) I guess the rule applies even more. I'm all for the ones that get to the chopping block sooner or later! :eek:

Nice thread and comments, thanks to you all CS fans! Keep 'em coming! :thumbup:

How about some old CS ads/catalogs? Here is a mag ad from 1982...notice how the Tanto and Mini Tanto don't look like what we're used to...wonder if they actually ever sold any of those?
V2yx8kbh.jpg

And here is a catalog from 1984-ish. An interesting thing is that some of the stuff on the cover is not in the catalog. What is that wickedly curved thing in the middle?
SBLoGvFl.jpg

9vFAhEdh.jpg

Notice that the Urban Skinner has a smooth handle instead of checkered, and it is Neoprene instead of Kraton...I actually had one of these for a while, but sold it.
sKI3UEbh.jpg

The Whip...here's your Shaft!
3CuHHFkh.jpg

mI7wb2Sl.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I could go back in time those urban Shivs are pretty sweet as well as their price back then. Thanks for all the pics. :thumbup:

I have been reading everyone's submissions here with great interest throughout the week, but I didn't want to post until I was able to contribute again myself. First, a couple of comments.

Scott, great catch on the change in the SRK's point! I also noticed the rise of the primary bevel grind in the later versions, but until I saw your comparison photos I never caught the radical difference in the point configuration. Well done, sir!

Mr. Lauffer, you did not disappoint with your amazing contributions thus far! I'm blown away by the SRX, the "Magnum Skinner," and the Japanese Carbon V Trail Master--never knew any of these existed! I guess we can deduce from the Trail Master that there's a factory in Japan that possesses the knowledge and the means to produce Carbon V knives, should Cold Steel ever choose to go down that path again.

Also, your old catalog photos are great! I'd seen them over on the Cold Steel Forums and wondered the very same things you did about those mysterious, unnamed, unidentified models shown on the cover of that 1984 brochure, as well as the guardless tantos from the 1982 ad. Thank you for re-posting those incredibly informative pictures here!

Peacent, your photos are always excellent! As I said in my first post, my stock was immediately outstripped by the rarities possessed by the other members here. But I still have a couple of oldies to share.

This first one is for you, Peacent. First-generation clipless Vaquero Grande with the Kydex pocket/inside-the-waistband sheath.

IMG-4850.jpg

IMG-4851.jpg

IMG-4852.jpg

Far and away my favorite version of this knife, though the later renditions were much more pocketable and the Tri-Ad model is significantly easier to open. [I think this year's Lynn Thompson signature edition is going to be very cool!] As an aside: Back when this model was new, I saw a combat veteran at a gun show wearing one around his neck, with a breakaway chain strung through the eyelets of the sheath. It seemed like an extremely heavy neck knife to me, but apparently he didn't agree!

Here is the original, fixed-blade version of the Finn Wolf.

IMG-4853.jpg

IMG-4854.jpg

It's a practical, great-looking, comfortable knife. I have no idea why it vanished from the product line so quickly.

This is the original Mini Tac. The newer version appears below it in the last two pictures, for comparison purposes.

IMG-4855.jpg

IMG-4856.jpg

IMG-4857.jpg

IMG-4858.jpg

The last photo explains, in my view, why the first attempt at the Mini Tac didn't succeed. Despite being much lighter weight and more comfortable in the hand than the later model (not to mention better looking), it was simply too thin a blade to perform a true tactical mission. It was a wicked slicer, but it lacked lateral strength.

Please keep the great posts coming!

-Steve

Last edited:
The original Urban Pal is still my favorite and the original Ultraloc with the adjustable liner lock.

I have been reading everyone's submissions here with great interest throughout the week, but I didn't want to post until I was able to contribute again myself. First, a couple of comments.

Scott, great catch on the change in the SRK's point! I also noticed the rise of the primary bevel grind in the later versions, but until I saw your comparison photos I never caught the radical difference in the point configuration. Well done, sir!

Mr. Lauffer, you did not disappoint with your amazing contributions thus far! I'm blown away by the SRX, the "Magnum Skinner," and the Japanese Carbon V Trail Master--never knew any of these existed! I guess we can deduce from the Trail Master that there's a factory in Japan that possesses the knowledge and the means to produce Carbon V knives, should Cold Steel ever choose to go down that path again.

Also, your old catalog photos are great! I'd seen them over on the Cold Steel Forums and wondered the very same things you did about those mysterious, unnamed, unidentified models shown on the cover of that 1984 brochure, as well as the guardless tantos from the 1982 ad. Thank you for re-posting those incredibly informative pictures here!

Peacent, your photos are always excellent! As I said in my first post, my stock was immediately outstripped by the rarities possessed by the other members here. But I still have a couple of oldies to share.

This first one is for you, Peacent. First-generation clipless Vaquero Grande with the Kydex pocket/inside-the-waistband sheath.

image.jpg1_zps91ryxqw5.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsaqp664aq.jpg

image.jpg1_zpslcacu3bt.jpg

Far and away my favorite version of this knife, though the later renditions were much more pocketable and the Tri-Ad model is significantly easier to open. [I think this year's Lynn Thompson signature edition is going to be very cool!] As an aside: Back when this model was new, I saw a combat veteran at a gun show wearing one around his neck, with a breakaway chain strung through the eyelets of the sheath. It seemed like an extremely heavy neck knife to me, but apparently he didn't agree!

Here is the original, fixed-blade version of the Finn Wolf.

image.jpg1_zpssrhzypyx.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsdpp4rxf8.jpg

It's a practical, great-looking, comfortable knife. I have no idea why it vanished from the product line so quickly.

This is the original Mini Tac. The newer version appears below it in the last two pictures, for comparison purposes.

image.jpg3_zpsc1wyr5pg.jpg

image_zpsy7cgeg00.jpg

image.jpg1_zps84rawmnh.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsz1e9szaz.jpg

The last photo explains, in my view, why the first attempt at the Mini Tac didn't succeed. Despite being much lighter weight and more comfortable in the hand than the later model (not to mention better looking), it was simply too thin a blade to perform a true tactical mission. It was a wicked slicer, but it lacked lateral strength.

Please keep the great posts coming!

-Steve

Hi, Steve! Nice post again, I also like your pics and comments on Cold Steel, it's nice to see such interest and history on the company and users.
I love the Vaquero, I had both the sheath (did your Vaquero also fit both ways into the hard plastic sheath just fine? Mine could be put point first or pivot side first and both fit perfectly and tight) one and the latter iterations, and I loved how long and big it was for the weight.

CAM01453_zpsmcvcyf2n.jpg

One of those excellently designs (ergos are like a glove to me) of curves, low weight and high performance blade. A true classic. The steel got wicked sharp so quick, too.
I never had Mini Tacs as I have so many fixed blades in that size range but I want a k4 since it seems better built and I dig the looks a lot, so sad I never got one when on production. One of those old gems we're always looking for ;)

Great thread ! Those blacked out Rajahs came and went like a fart in the wind. Always liked them.

Reactions: new
T. Erdelyi;16854462 said:
The original Urban Pal is still my favorite and the original Ultraloc with the adjustable liner lock.

Ah, you mean this UltraLock

IMG-4859.jpg

which is not to be confused with the Ultra Lock lock on this Recon 1

IMG-4860.jpg

which has very little in common with hkyew's Recon 1 shown above.

Name originality is NOT Cold Steel's strong suit!

Anyway...I purchased this UltraLock used at a knife show many years ago, though I had handled them back when they were state-of-the-art. And ahead of their time they were: Zytel handles, pocket clip, one-hand opening, and liner lock--back when those features were still new and not commonly found all on a single knife. The thumb-operated grooves on the base of the blade for opening the knife one-handed (think: activating a cigarette lighter) were not new, but to my knowledge only Tekna had tried them previously on a folding knife. You also see the forerunner of the Ti-Lite's unique leaf-spring liner lock, long before there was a Ti-Lite.

IMG-4861.jpg

IMG-4862.jpg

IMG-4863.jpg

IMG-4864.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, that's the puppy right there, mine is a drop point and looks like it was used hard and put away wet but the lock up is still solid and it still rakes a decent edge, I just wish they held it longer.

I loved the UltraLock folder. I had the clip point version in the early 90's and used it hard. I must have set it down on the bumper of our truck and forgot about it. It was lost for good. I replaced it with another one that was sitting in the display at a local gun store. There was a spear point, tanto and clip point version. I never saw a tanto version in person. The Bic lighter opening action was a lot of fun!

As I am trying to research the remaining knives in my collection, it sure isn't easy to find much info on the UltraLock folders. And reuseing the name ultra lock sure doesn't help things. I also got one of the Clip point ones in the early 90s and do remember chooseing it over the spear point. But I didn't know about the tanto in that model. Great thread, very helpfull.

Last edited:
I nominate you, jlauffer
for the Official Cold Steel Museum, really nice collection.

Back