Rare HI knives

What kind of lock is on the bura folder (or on the proposed bowie folder)? With a folder that large you'd need a strong and secure lock or else its just a safety liability. I know the kamis are talented, but any kind of reliable locking mechanism requires precision machining.

How does the blade lock up, steve?

I would think a straight lockback system should be secure enough. Like the one for a Buck 110 folder. It's been used for decades and should be sufficient.

so we can actually look forward to an attempt at this next year sometime.

Last edited:
What kind of lock is on the bura folder (or on the proposed bowie folder)? With a folder that large you'd need a strong and secure lock or else its just a safety liability. I know the kamis are talented, but any kind of reliable locking mechanism requires precision machining.

How does the blade lock up, steve?

The Bura Folder was a slipjoint, no lock.

The lock on the micro bowie folder (just a concept at this point) is one of those aforementioned details that still need to be worked out.

I would think a straight lockback system should be secure enough. Like the one for a Buck 110 folder. It's been used for decades and should be sufficient.
Thats what I was thinking cul. As long as the tolerances were tight and the spring was properly tempered and mounted it would probably work fine with that blade being so thick. I dont know how the distal taper might work out. You would probably have to mill out the taper to flat at the hinge. I wouldnt want to have to mill the makers mark off though. If you did a liner lock it would have to have a pretty thick liner for that blade but it could work. I can just imagine that handle outlined and checkered inside the outlline:thumbup: This is starting to sound like a project!

I almost brought my Boomerang AK to the shop for a clean up and touch up today. I have no reason why I thought about it other than it has been my kindling splitting khuk for the last year.

I need to post a pic of that beauty. I got it for my birthday...man, I dunno, 6 or 7 years ago? I would love to see more of those made again some time.

I'm not sure how rare it is, but I've only ever seen two dui chirra with this special guard. First time I saw it was the March 2nd, 2010 DOTD. It was 18", horn, chiruwa, by Tirtha and $225. So beautiful. It spoke to me.
20100302_TirthaDuiChirra.jpg

Asked Auntie to have a 16" version made to fit my smaller hands and KMFR sheath. Due to all the happenings in Nepal, it took over a year, and they were out of antler for the handle, but it was still well worth the wait.
20140914_DuiChirraCustom_Left.jpg
20140914_DuiChirraCustom_Right.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, thats something special. I'd have to hang it on my wall and install a spot light on it.

QUOTE=Steve Tall;13955868]This is another "make what you want to" knife from Bura:

The Bura Bowie

attachment.php

"14 inches and 15 ounces of perfection. Bura does it again. What more can I say except this is an original 10/10 effort by the old master. What a kami!...It's a work of art besides being a hell of a knife...it's about 5/16 thick right out of the bolster with an even steady taper going forward."

-- Bill Martino, 01-18-02, from http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/186060-The-Bura-Bowie-another-make-what-you-want-Pix-Make-me-an-offer-I-can-t-refuse[/QUOTE]

I think the traditional lockback system is the way to go. Liner and frame locks are really frustrating with the typical smith's tools, in my experience. A lockback can be built with files.

durba_dagger.jpg

"Durba dagger, a little like the kanchi."

A few of the knives shown in this thread came about because someone, Probably Uncle Bill or Kami Sherpa had the Kami's build what they wanted. The Durba Dagger is one such knife, and I was lucky enough to snag it. It's sitting on my monitor stand waiting for me to remove the old handle and put a new one on. Will probably use Antler or an exotic wood. I love the blade, but the dowel round handle and square guard don't do it for me.

Great thread! If people have more pictures of rare blades, please post them. Also, I hope the Kami's get to do more of those "Make/design what you want" opportunities.

Here's a similar thread that philllll started last year, with 4 more pages of photos:
Lets see your special HI blades!

I had forgotten about that thread when I started this one. After seeing an old reference to the Bura Folder, I finally found a surviving photo, which led to the first post on the new thread.

Steve,
Just saw this,brings back some old memories of close friends.That folder in your pic I gave to THAT NDN!!I know he loved it....don't think he ever posted....didn't give it to him too post....it was something one friend does for another!
THE DUCK!

Steve,
Just saw this,brings back some old memories of close friends.That folder in your pic I gave to THAT NDN!!I know he loved it....don't think he ever posted....didn't give it to him too post....it was something one friend does for another!
THE DUCK!

That's evidently the only surviving photo of the Bura folder on the whole internet. As for "that NDN" (Yvsa), I'm lucky to have made his acquaintance while he was still here.

Hm. The Movie Model and Ultimate Fighter come to mind ... speaking of Yvsa, I've got the first UF; he found it heavy (as do I) and sold it- don't know about fighting but that is a tree-cutter.

Mike

Back