Rare !!!Plumb axe help dating and other information

Thank you!!! (Whats being a paid member have to do with the value of the axe ??? Please enlighten me , again Thank you

paid member have to do with the value of the axe ??? Please enlighten me , again Thank you

It is pre-permabond handle so before 1956. Post WWII most likely.

Somebody is gonna take a shine to this but it's unlikely you'll get beyond what a new Swede boutique jobbie costs today. No Boy Scout or any other distinctive stamps on this. As halfaxe says it's a pre-Permabond hang (ie before 1956) and post- steel take-up wedge (early to mid 1940s). Impressive that a tool, that somebody specifically bought, wound up remaining unused for 65-70 years.

paid member have to do with the value of the axe ??? Please enlighten me , again Thank you

Yarin, I like your axe, a lot in fact.

This is from the forum rules: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=699&a=98
Section 5 is what he is talking about (I only know this because I recently combed through site rules…)

SECTION 5 - Miscellaneous -
WHAT IS MY KNIFE / GADGET / SPATULA / TUNING FORK WORTH ?!?!?!?!
In order to curtail potential abuse of membership privileges associated with the forums, questions regarding valuation of knives and collections are limited to those with a membership level which permits selling on this site. Accordingly, registered and basic members may not start or post in threads with such requests whether with the intent to sell or for informational purposes only. This rule applies throughout the site.

It’s not that someone here couldn’t immediately tell you the value of your axe or wouldn’t enjoy sharing stories on yours or one like yours, or even buy it outright. The stories/facts/history add to the forums but once we cross over to evaluating stuff monetarily it changes what the forums are about. Seems like it makes sense.

That last part is just my interpretation of "why" the rules were worded like that so you can disregard it.

Seriously though, welcome to the forums. That Plumb was time capsuled. :thumbup:

Thanks guys i changed my post i didi not know I can't ask worth thanks again

To answer your question, it is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. If you are looking at selling it then get a paid membership here and someone can give you a ballpark and you can post it in the classifieds. Or you can go through eBay as I am sure a lot of collectors would like that piece for their collection. Personally if I found that axe it would get hung on a wall as a display piece, you don't find unused axes like that every day.

Yes, the multiple Plumb axes I have, that are post 56 that do not include Permabond.

And pray tell how would you know these are manufactured after 1956? I came across an obscure tool in the clearance bin at the local hardware store recently that had 'made in W. Germany' stamped on it.

Plumb dropped Perma-bond after the Cooper Tools buyout in the 80's. But this is older than that. The handle style is also from the time period that Halfaxe suggested.

And pray tell how would you know these are manufactured after 1956? I came across an obscure tool in the clearance bin at the local hardware store recently that had 'made in W. Germany' stamped on it.

Permabond was an option for axe/hatchet handles since its introduction in the early 50s and then wider use after 1955. Did this mean that every tool that came from Plumb used the permabond process? No.

Perhaps the better question is, how can you ascertain that every axe/hatchet post 56 was a Permabond, and you can use that as a reliable source to date an axe?

It also has a decal rather than a metallic foil sticking label which Plumb used starting in the 60's or 70's. The amount of finishing looks better than the 70's and 80's yet not up to pre-war standards. I was not there during this hatchets production but base the dating estimate on the visual indicators.

Mint condition on this bad boy, almost museum quality, but its way too "Young" for that.

Back