Rasp Knife

Did something a little different here. Usually I preach to use new/known steel, but I really wanted to forge out this blade... finished out the knife with a wrought iron collar from an old wagon tire and some stabilized curly oak.

Thanks for looking.

Tad Lynch
ABS MS

X8Zsdf8.jpg
2Z16RkX.jpg
ysy0loc.jpg
O5kGzkW.jpg
dc18t4n.jpg

What an amazing knife! Can you comment on the hamon? Not knowing the steel did you clay it in the chance of it taking a hamon?

Thanks, Josh.
It was an old rasp, and I've used similar in the past so I had an idea it would work. I clayed it low hoping to avoid hardening in any of the leftover rasp/file cuts. I tempered and tested it, then tested more after it was finished... then cleaned it up and re-etched. Held up good....still no idea, maybe W1, 1095?

Tad

Really awesome, let's see how it stands up to use. Pictures welcome, I like how one can reuse something old and turn it into something new. And beautiful.

How did I miss this?!!!

That’s awesome my friend, the Hamon is stunning on that file...;) :D

Rasp knives are always visually commanding.

Then you take it up three notches with your curves, hamon, and outstanding build.

Well done!

Outstanding Tad! I have a rasp I have had this type of plan for for a long while. I now think I will pass on the project as I am surely not capable of getting it done so well. Thanks for sharing

Chris

Beautiful work, IMO the only knife that looks good with unpolished flats.:thumbsup:

Back