Rat 1 and Rat 2 factory edges...

Okay I know this is kind of a silly issue to complain about for such an affordable knife, with such high quality in all other facets, but...

Holy moly are the bevel angles on these uneven! I'm not talk about, "Oh yeah they were a little off and I'm a knifenut so my OCD kicked in," I mean one side had to be about 10 degrees, while the other was the more typical 20ish. If I look down the blade against some light, it looks almost like a chisel grind.

I was thinking I just got unlucky, but I checked out the Limited Edition CG/G10 Rat 1 that I threw in a drawer and it too was just as uneven as the Rat 2 that I just ordered and received today. I EDC'd another one of the Limited Edition Rat 1 D2 models with the nylon handles for about a year and a half before losing it, but I had re-profiled it immediately so I'm not sure I ever examined the edge bevel on it.

Not knocking OKC... These are phenomenally high quality knives for super affordable prices, which I was kind of counting on in case I keep losing them haha Just wondered if I just got unlucky, and thought maybe it should be brought to OKC's attention. Maybe the the sharpening personnel need more coffee breaks :p

That’s unfortunate.

I have five of these and found all the edges to be quite good, even out to the tips.

I’ve bought 4 rats and all were fine out of the boxes. My SP5 on the other hand was dull as a butter knife and the grinds were awful. It took a but of work on the stones to get it right... but for the money, I’m not complaining. Just great deals on their products.

Got a Rat 1 & Rat 2, both in D2 steel. The bevel angles are even on both, for the entire cutting edge.

OP, I have bought a bunch of RAT 1’s and 2’s over the years and every single one of them was just like yours. The bevels were somewhat even but the angle was no where near the same. 8-10* on one side and like 20* on the other.

My rat 2 in d2 has a even edge. Better then expected given the price point.

I had a RAT 1 from Walmart (green covers, Aus 8 blade) that I lost while bicycling. (stupid I for trusting a pocket clip.)
Grinds were even and it was sharp out of the hangpack.

I am not so sure this is my first OKC ever, but it's the first bought in modern times, on purpose. No complaints about anything, ready to rock right out of the box. Glad I saw a post elsewhere about the D2 price, have wanted a D2 knife for a while now, just didn't want to pay the premium of other manufactures OR, what they had for pattern I was not interested in. Got it today...

best D2.jpg

Last edited:
I gave out 8 Rats for Christmas and all were fine. Chalk it up to bad luck.

All of them had a darn sharp working edge from the factory as well.

I have a 1 & 2, bought 3 years apart, both with perfect grinds. Just sharpened both today.

I only have two, bought about 1 to 1.5 years apart. A coyote brown in D-2, and a blaze orange AUS8. Both are pristine, zero complaints.

I am not so sure this is my first OKC ever, but it's the first bought in modern times, on purpose. No complaints about anything, ready to rock right out of the box. Glad I saw a post elsewhere about the D2 price, have wanted a D2 knife for a while now, just didn't want to pay the premium of other manufactures OR, what they had for pattern I was not interested in. Got it today...

View attachment 1228357

Same here. I got the same colour in D2. Handsome knife. I just got a black grip/blade in aus8. My third. This will sit in shirt or jacket chest pockets. Looks like I screwed up the quoting. Oh well, small phone/big fingers.

Back