RAT-1 can't be beat.

SALTY

Gold Member
I'm passionate about knives and have a bunch - too many should truth be told. I've got a gaggle (way too many, honestly) Emersons and have owned a bunch of Sebenzas in various iterations though I like my current 25 a bunch. I like me my Cold Steel Voyagers and could not live without the Spyderco Salt Series knives.

All that being said, I have a few RAT-1s in tried and true AUS-8 or D2 and after breaking down a bunch of cardboard today with a garage cleaning I cannot help but to appreciate the ergos and value of the RAT-1. I was using one of my AUS-8 beaters and have to tell you, I was very pleased! The RAT-1 has comfortable and efficient ergos as well as performance that punches well above its price point weight. When you consider the cost, a RAT-1 is almost as good as folders costing ten times as a much and, IMHO, as good as those costing four or five times as much.

I agree 100%. For all the negative opinions on liner-locks, Jeff Randall (of RAT & ESEE fame) hit this design out of the park. Well designed ergos & really good construction; blade grind that's good for slicing and heavy-duty use - made of good steel that's easily sharpened; easily cleaned under running water if that's all you have; large enough to handle pretty much any outdoors task you're likely to run into.

The new D2/CF model is on my list. :thumbup:

~Chris

I love my RAT and use it all the time. It rides well in the pocket and is a good size for most all chores. What's not to like about it?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

My RAT 1 is one of my favorite blades, regardless of cost. It sees daily EDC duty along side my 0550. If I don't have one I have the other.

Never used one let alone handled one but I hear very nice things about them. Might have to pick one up :)

I finally picked up a Rat 1A and I agree the ergonomics are about perfect. I love the texture on the G10 scales, best I've felt. And the assisted opening is on par with the US made Kershaw knives. It I could get G10 scales with a D2 blade...that'd be just about perfection.

if they just made a slightly more upscale version without those slick plastic handles.... G10 would go a LONG way to making them beat out my other EDCs for pocket time...

I know you can get the g10 on the assisted model, but I prefer my knives without the assist =o(

I have had a RAT1 since they first came out. They are an awesome knife!! Simple, useable design that for a folder is just a large as I need in a folder but still capable of removing splinters :) The steel choice is not one of the new super steels but the AUS8 has held up well and never let me down. When I compare the RAT1 to some of my other EDC folders, I can't find anything it comes up short on.

I think the RealSteel H6 and H6-S1 give the RAT a solid run for the money and beat it on most fronts. If you're a RAT fan, you owe it to yourself to check one out.

Is an awesome knife, my favorite!.. perfect size, perfect weight, excellent grip, very good edge retention, perfect price! Definitely my favorite IDC. Yesterday just strip the paint off the pocket clip and mirror polished it...
1cfd42a96f57adea2dc756b4553c1d08.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We are all entitled to our opinion, and there will always be people who will agree. I don't, but again, that's just my opinion.

I have used the Rat-1 a lot, and it is just as good as it's price.

Nothing wrong with that, most knives are not even close to justifying their price tag (IMHO)

Question. Are all the Rats on ebay real or is it possible counterfeits? Are the real Rats made in Taiwan? Nothing wrong with Taiwan but the Ontario site gives the impression they are made in the USA. I may have had a senior moment and missed something. I really like the looks of them and would like to pick up a couple for the collection. Just paranoid in my old age. Mike in Missouri

Question. Are all the Rats on ebay real or is it possible counterfeits? Are the real Rats made in Taiwan? Nothing wrong with Taiwan but the Ontario site gives the impression they are made in the USA. I may have had a senior moment and missed something. I really like the looks of them and would like to pick up a couple for the collection. Just paranoid in my old age. Mike in Missouri

Rats are indeed made in Taiwan

Most of the Rats are clones on Ebay.

Try and click on USA sales only to show those sold in the US. But there are even US sellers selling the clones.

The clones are bigger but you cannot tell in pictures. One give away is they have silver screws.

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't know about the silver screws. Are the clones lousy quality?

Back