Rat 2 D2 for a newb

I am new to the knife scene and as I have looked around for “the” knife the Rat is frequently recommended as a great value. And a great knife. I put it on the list of knives to try one day. When a rat 2 in d2 popped up on the for sale forum I hesitated, but pulled the trigger on it.
Wow do I like this knife! It’s going to be in my pocket today, and probably many days in the future.

You done good. That model is probably the best knife buy I have made in a few years. The quality is amazing -- exceeds many knives costing 2-3x as much.

I love the rat1 in d2, haven’t found the need to go smaller but if I do, going to the rat2 in d2 is a no brainer really.

I had been planning to get the Rat 1,(and still may one day),but the 2 showed up and so far I have no regrets. I have smallish hands and it fits me well.
When I first looked at them I was a little put off by the way the spine doesn’t line up with the handle. Again I’m new to this stuff so if my terminology is suspect I apologize. Having used it a few days now I can say that I’ve found it to be a very ergonomic, safe, and effective set up.
I’m still squarely in the honeymoon period, but really pleased with it.

Anyone know what happened to these? They are all out of stock from what I can tell.

Blade hq has them, I think. This my most carried knife right now and
I am wearing the black off my clip and might look into a replacement clip. I like subtlety and wear black pants for work. Having the black clip is a big draw for me. By no means a deal breaker but in the interest of full disclosure it’s the only complaint I have.

I just picked this up the Rat 2 in D2 from BladeHQ and it should arrive in a day or two. It has been a while since I purchased a new knife. Looking forward to the R2D2. My current EDC knife is an Kershaw/Emerson CQC-6K. Love that knife, especially the wave, but felt it was time for a change. Something with a higher grade steel.

I honestly don’t feel it is in my best interest to purchase a higher end knife with all the beating my current knife has received. I see them as tools that when they have served their purpose and need to be retired why spend a small fortune for a knife you will be afraid to use or even lend to a friend you are working with for a quick task. Change my mind... ;). With that said I do have my eye on a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. It I ever see one for a steal of a price I will pick it up. But haven’t seen any I would spend the money on yet.

I really like my Rat 2 in D2. Currently it's my work knife, but seems to find its way into my home edc sometimes. Very good knife.

I stopped carrying this for a few weeks because my thumbnail was wearing away. It pops open so nicely with a thumb flick that I fiddle with it more than I should.
I showed it to a sales guy while handling an atmos and he thought it was assisted.

Back