Rat 2, very impressed

I’m usually posting over in the Buck forum, but had to give Ontario props on the Rat 2 D2 I got as a Christmas present. It has quickly become my knife of choice for everyday carry. Wonderful product. I may have to grab a Rat 1 now!

I have one in regular EDC rotation. Great versatile knife, especially for the price. I’ve given a couple to coworkers who constantly asked to borrow my knife, “here, now you have your own.” :)

Reactions: sv4
Easily some of the best value in the knife world. One of the first i will recommend to anyone interested in getting a knife.

Reactions: sv4
I carry a model 1 for work every day. Mine is AUS-8 and due to the work it does I'm sharpening it very regularly. Would I notice a significant change in the durability of the blade in D2?

And...I picked up a Rat 1 for camping/hiking. Partially serrated in Aus-8. Lol. I got Rat fever. Another great knife for a great price.

The Rat 2 in D2 is among the best pocket knives under $40 that can be purchased as far as I'm concerned. They are fantastic knives with good steel, smooth action, and fantastic ergonomics. As I've gotten more and more in to knives, I've moved on to higher priced offerings with premium materials, but the Rat 2 still hangs out in my permanent collection to remind me that you don't have to spend a ton to get a phenomenal knife.

I also keep a Rat 2 D2 and Morakniv Basic 511 in my camping gear in case someone is in need. Those two can handle just about any job that comes up at the campsite and at $50 total for the two, it doesn't break the bank when I give them out. :)

I carry a model 1 for work every day. Mine is AUS-8 and due to the work it does I'm sharpening it very regularly. Would I notice a significant change in the durability of the blade in D2?

I've found better edge retention in D2 over my AUS8A knives.

Holds an edge better than my 1095 knives as well.

Just watched a video with a side by side rope cut with two Rat folders.... the D2 out cut the aus8a 2 to 1. 64 cuts to 120 before the D2 reached the same level of edge loss.

I just picked up a D2 "little Rat", and I have been impressed with everything about it... including it's price!

I have a 1 & 2 D2 versions. The keep a great edge and have to be the best value in folders.

Back