Rat Cutlery RC-3

Any Cal.

BANNED
Hi all. Here is some info on the RC-3. I have been EDC'ing this knife for about 6 days now, and have gotten the chance to use it quite a bit. Here is my initial report.

First, a couple pics. Any marks you see are due to the bit of carrying, it came in mint condition. Sorry for the poor color balance. Couldn't seem to get it out. Click on the image for a larger picture.

The first shot shows the outline of the knife, includeing the usable choil. I own very few knives with this feature, but really like it on this knife. Using the choil, I can use the knife up close to the point and the belly of the blade. It also makes a couple more grip options possible that complement the belly on the blade. You can also see the green liners peeking out the front.:D

I included a spine shot because it shows some of the strong points of this knife. First, a nice blade thickness, strong enough to count on, but thin enough to cut well. Second, it shows the nicely contoured handle slabs. These are thin enough for the knife to be unobtrusive when carried, but feel good in the hand. They are not slick when wet, and support a variety of holds. Third is the jimping on the spine, which is a nice addition and works well with the traction of the handle slabs.

Here are a couple of the knife w/ the sheath attached to the jump-proof molle back instead of the boot clip. This is a well made sheath, and a very nice option. Triple retention means that the knife will ALWAYS be there. Coupled with the slim design, it can be a backup, or simply carried when others would not be. It could be worn under a snow suit without fear of falling out, no matter what the activity. It can be worn with other gear, without taking up too much air space around it, which matters when you are walking through doors, or in tight brush. The people I have shown it to were very impressed by the jump proof sheath. It really complements the design.

Well, on to my review. I really did not understand how well thought out the design was before I had this knife in hand. The choil, I think, is probably the most controversial item on this knife. Once you have spent a couple minutes w/ it, you see why it is there. Because of the choil, and the extra grips it offers, it gives you two knives in one. Choking up on the choil, the knife seems much like the coyote skinner pattern. You have the belly of the knife right above your hand, with all the control that gives.

When you grip the knife by the handle, you have much more blade length ahead of you. This means that you have a little more length when it is needed. All in all, I think the choil cuts out about 1/4" of the blade edge possible in the design, while adding some very versatile grips.

I have used the knife for quite a few varied tasks. While I won't elaborate, the most exotic so far was taking the place of a swivel knife for a bit of leatherwork, and making thin slices off a tomato, both with the factory edge.

I have been carrying the knife w/ the included boot clip on the sheath, and it disappears under a t-shirt. Like I mentioned, it is nice and thin. I slip the knife behind my belt, and the clip goes to the outside. Makes for a high ride setup. Still very secure this way.

Well, there you go, my initial, almost a week review. A nice sized knife, designed to do everything a knife is supposed and then some, packaged with a sheath to ensure that it will always be there when you need it.

After I have had some more time to use this knife, I will give a more thorough review.

Edited to add: Fit and finish on mine were excellent, especially the handles to the tang. Coating was very even, and grind was very good. The knife came nice and sharp as well.

If you have any questions, or would like any pictures in particular, let me know. I am trying to think of a nice reference knife to show the size properly. If I did, it would be w/ a Leatherman wave or an older model Benchmade.

I sharpened it once, last night, just because. I hate to say it because I don't want people to think it won't hold an edge. The knife was still sharp, but I personally prefer my knives sticky sharp. That sticky sharp goes away quickly when you work the knife, so I do a lot of touch-up on all my knives.
Sharpening this was not too bad. I don't have a good answer however, because my usual routine did not work well with this knife. I ended up polishing the bevels, and then adding a microbevel to take the small burr off, with a soft arkansas stone. It was interesting that you could feel the stone take the burr away, and you knew you had a nice edge. It took a very keen edge without too much effort.

All I can sat about this knife is I love it. As to a more serious review I never used to like choils but it really works on this.

Appreciate the good review. As to the edge, we're running the 1095 steel at 57 Rc. While we could probably push it a tad and get a little longer "hair popping" edge holding capability, the flex we're getting with this particular hardness makes the knife pretty tough to be 1/8" thick. Glad you like the blade! We're proud of this line.

Jeff

I did'nt realize so many companies use the 'Rat' name! I got confused with this knife review because I thought this was an Ontario Knife company 'Rat 3'!? Then there's Swamp Rat, and this Rat RC3.....

1Tracker,

The Ontario Knife "RAT 3" was designed by two guys who put out several very nice knives, from the RTAC to the RAT 3/5/7. About a year ago they decided to start their own knife making company instead of going through Ontario, creating RAT Cultery Knives. Their knives are designated "RC-3," but there is a bit of confusion. Hit their web site (shortcut in the post above yours), or visit their manufacturers forum here in Blade Forums. I have one of their RC-3s as well as an old RAT-5 and RTAC II, all great knives. Very excited to see them start their own stuff, they work great with their customers and are putting out some great knives.

I have heard they are very open to input and feedback, they are on a mission to make some of the best blades in the world and are well on their way. And so my to buy list lengthens.

Thank you very much for the remarks. Jeff and I are out to produce a dependable, quality product that folks can afford with customer service second to none in the industry. With our maker , Rowen Manufacturing we believe we will achieve that goal. Again thanks, Mike

I plan on buying a RAT 3 some time but the F-1 is next on my list.

I would put the RAT above it but it is only 1/8" thick. I think and all around outdoors should be 3/16th.

PSY-OPS,
Jeff and I designed both the RAT 3 (made by Ontario) and the RC-3 (made by Rowen). Both are 1/8" thick. But the RC-3 has a heat treat that makes it very flexible without breaking and it is slightly longer. If breakage is the worry then I'll replace it if you break it. But I would agree that it is not as effective for chopping as something a little heavier at 3/16" thick and that is one of the reasons we designed the RC-4 due out in early Feb which is 3/16" thick. Mike

Mike, Just to clarify, I am not complaining about your design. The RAT3 is an awesome knife. I think its main purpose is as a companion knife. When I go out for a day hike, I want something that could be my only knife but not be too heavy. The F-1 accomplishes this.

I will get a RAT-3 as a companion to a larger knife for backpacking. I have a Ranger RD4 it is too heavy for a day hike but would serve well as a long trip solo knife. Lots of niches to fill. Keeping the knife market busy!

Thanks

You had to do it..huh? Now thanks to you I'm going to end up buying another blade.:D Thanks for the nice review.

Mike, those pics on your website of the RC-4 and RC-6 make them mighty tempting. I'm anxious for the RC-6 to hit the distribution channels. Along with the Molle sheath, I'm guessing that's my next purchase. I don't buy a lot of knives anymore, but I sure keep up with what's current. You and Jeff are doing a great job.

Would it be too much to solicit a comment about the Rat-3 in D-2, and how that steel compares to the 1095? I like both steels and would appreciate another perspective. Thank you..

Back