Rat II D2 Blade Tip Clearance

The tip clearance on this knife is a bit too close for comfort on my example. I barely have any finger nails and can fairly easily dig the tip out with one of my nubs. Just gently rubbing a finger across the end I can feel the tip digging in slightly.

Is this typical for this model, or did I receive one that is slightly out of spec?

Of course not the end of the world, but it's not too hard to imagine some bunched up pocket cloth getting caught up in there and deploying the blade during removal, or any number of other feasible scenarios.

There's a lot to like about this budget folder, but not sure if I can get past the tip being that exposed.

noUoE7I.jpg

F8Q5jMC.jpg

I just compared your pictures to my new Rat 2 D2. The tip on mine is more recessed, so it looks like yours is indeed a bit out of spec, maybe insufficiently ground off. I can't feel the tip when I rub my finger against the end of my Rat 2.

I will try to get a photo but I actually have a rat 1 aus8 that was in the tip up position when I bought. I recently reached into pocket that it was clipped to and sliced the outer edge of pinkie that rubbed the edge. Switched clip to tip down, it may also grind tip a bit. I compared to two Other rat 1s that I have and the offending one definitely has a more exposed blade tip

Mine has this problem too and got bit exactly the way you were describing today

cb1nW1W.jpg

vicORNtr.jpg
That's nasty. Hmmm, it certainly appears that Ontario does have issues with certain batches of their R2D2 blades being out of spec. It would be good if the Ontario rep here can chime in to address this.

Sorry to see anyone get cut like that. When the blade closes, there must be a stop pin somewhere. Maybe a little polish in the contact area on the blade might let it sit down a little further? That might affect the detent, so careful. A better idea might be to file the clip down a little. Shouldn’t have to do that on a new knife, but...

BTW, the Ontario rep hasn’t been on the forum in almost a year, so it looks like we’re on our own.

Hoping to revive an old post... Just recieved mine and noticed the same problem and was wondering if anyone has more information. Any luck fixing the issue or exchanging it for a blade that sits deeper in the handle?

Glad i saw this. Been wanting a O Rat for awhile now. Big Star Wars Fan back in the day so R2D2 is the one i would want. With Christmas and all but need to now make sure this isn’t a real problem?

Glad i saw this. Been wanting a O Rat for awhile now. Big Star Wars Fan back in the day so R2D2 is the one i would want. With Christmas and all but need to now make sure this isn’t a real problem?
Requested an exchange and the second one had the same problem. Returned them both for a refund.

Well ordered the Rat I on sale at BHQ and a
Rat II in D2 in the dark earth or desert whatever they call it. Guess we shall see. I’ll let you know after i get them.

I picked up the rat 2 d2 with tan scales and it had this same problem back in November. Got bit reaching to pull it out of my pocket. Sent Ontario a message about it along with pics and they said they hadn't really heard of this problem, so they didn't have a fix and I would have to just send it back for a refund. Kind of disappointing after hearing how everyone loved these. I've been tempted to try again now that it's been a couple months but not sure if it will happen again.

I ordered the RAT 2 in D2 and had the same problem with the exposed blade. After about a week of back and forth trying to get ahold of the warranty Dept. They finally told me to send it back to them and that they would grind the tip down and return it. I didn't want to bother and thankfully BladeHQ took it back. I made a video about it.

I took my Rat 2 apart and sanded down the kick ever so slightly. That took care of the problem. It didn't take much with my belt sander.

So the kick in the blade or the part inside where the blade rest? Im confused as if it’s the blade you wouldn’t have to take it apart?

So the kick in the blade or the part inside where the blade rest? Im confused as if it’s the blade you wouldn’t have to take it apart?
It was apart to clean it. The kick is part of the blade, just before the pivot. Having the blade separate made work a lot easier.

Back