RAT II in D2 ??

I've been looking at the Rat 2 for a long time now, just never could pull the trigger on it. With the news of the D2 coming out I went ahead I got one. I've carried it for a couple weeks now, It's a perfect carry size for me. :thumbsup:
Looks like I'll have two now, AUS 8 and a CF D2. :)

The rat 2 is such a nice knife for the money, really hoping a D2 version comes out, I think it would really be a great EDC knife for things like card board or plastic.

Hi guys,

So, the bad news is that the date is not as soon as I had hoped. The good news is that a D2 RAT II, including a version with carbon fiber scales, is officially coming and is on track for the end of this year.
Solid carbon fiber scales or a thin layer of carbon fiber covering G 10?

I'm in for this. I don't carry my rat 2 often anymore as it stays in my work jacket for the coolers but I always get surprised on how well the knife works for such a well priced item.

Pretty sure I'm going to get a D2 and get some custom scales for it worked up to make it a very nice EDC knife. The blade and handle shape begs to be in OD or burgundy micarta.

I picked the desert tan/almost white Rat 1 in d2 2 months ago and have carried it everyday doing pest control
It has been great, carried an aus8 for 7 years until I was doing bird spiking on a hoist under the sea bus terminal and it dropped into the water!
Always hated that it was partial serrations but now I have its fancy new replacement
Hard to find a folder in that price with distal and flat grind with tool steel
First folder for me in d2 and I like it

You know, I was initially all for a D2 version of the Rat 2, but now that I think about it, D2 would not be a good choice for the Rat 2. Given the overall size is smaller than the Rat 1 and the drop point shaped blade could potentially chip/break easily with a hard steel like D2, I would pass on this. Plus, D2 does absolutely zero for corrosion resistance. D2 works great on the Rat 1, and I know OKC may not want to hear this, but I have the D2 version of the Jeff Randall-designed Avispa and Zancudo. The modified shape and point on those two models, in my opinion, make better use of the D2 steel. With that said, you'd be hard pressed to find a better all around knife than the Rat 2 in AUS8. I own several and love them.

I'm pretty happy with my D2 Zancudo as well. It's thinner than the Rat 2, and I like the blade shape and stonewashed blade finish better.

The existence of the Zancudo has allowed me to care less any longer if OKC ever releases a D2 or better Rat-2.

The existence of the Zancudo has required me to continue caring if OKC ever releases a D2 or better Rat-2.

We may be only 10% of the population, but Lefties like to buy things that work well in our hands/pockets. Besides, what difference do a few extra holes make on the opposite side of the knife?

My apologies, thank you for the chance to clarify :)

I like the idea of the Zancudo. But without a pocket clip option on the other side of the knife, I won’t be buying one. Seems like all it would take is a few extra holes drilled and tapped. And then it’s at least configurable for a left pocket.

When I’m looking at new folders, I won’t consider anything that doesn’t have at least an option for a pocket clip on the other scale. That’s one of the reasons I like the RAT Model 1,2 lineup.

Alternatively, for those who are right handed, does the inclusion of an extra set of screw holes detract so much from a knife that a purchase would be skipped over? Honest question, as I’ve been left handed my whole life :)

Reactions: Mo2
I looked at the Zancudo and Aspiva just can't get past the fact they are both missing a handle scale. That's just doesn't look right in my opinion. They look broken and or unfinished. :rolleyes:

I'll happily wait for the Rat 2 in D2.

I looked at the Zancudo and Aspiva just can't get past the fact they are both missing a handle scale. That's just doesn't look right in my opinion. They look broken and or unfinished. :rolleyes:

I agree 100%, come on OKC!!!

I also want a Rat 2 in D2. I have 2 of the Rat 1s in D2. They are awesome.

I broke down and bought one to use it for a while. While it's not the same as the rat 2 it's still a really solid knife. I tried to swap the blades but no luck. I even bought one for one of my groomsman for my wedding.

That being said, I'll have a rat 2 in D2.

Yes i will take a rat 2 in d2 any day.

takemymoney.jpg

Back