Ratmandu - upgraded w/Ironwood!

knifeleather

Knife/Sheath maker
I put a nice satin finish on the naked blade, then added some Ironwood handles. The 2 handle sides were scrap so they're different, but wanted to see how it turned out...I'll be doing same to my Nuked FM. I still have some cleanup to do, but I was so excited with how it came out I had to post some pics before I finished it!
To strip the rmd I removed the handles, sandblasted the old finish off, then hit the blade with a belt sander using 220/400 grit followed by red/blue/grey scotchbrite belts. I likey!!

upload_2018-12-30_15-23-1.jpeg
upload_2018-12-30_15-23-27.jpeg

Last edited:
That handle makes the RMD look like a whole different animal. Very well done.

Really nice job !!!!!! That came out great !

Looks great! I've done this too but have kept it to myself. I had a lot of fun with it and learned tons making my own- I haven't satisfied myself perfectly yet and started doing some kits to learn with. I just have this "perfection" gene that leaves me torn and has also caused me to do-over some stuff. When I feel I've reached a certain level then I'll have something to share- but that looks really nice! and a beautiful piece of wood!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I keep coming back to ogle this beautiful knife and have been looking at all of my knives thinking "Which one of you will be my guinea pig?". Lol!

Love it. Great job. Ironwood is some tough stuff. Heavy as well.

Thanks guys! Ironwood is my favorite, if I can find some nice burly walnut might try that too.

That looks brilliant. Well done

Couldn't have said it better. That is just so amazing. Really like how this one turned out. You really can't beat Ironwood for its look and beautiful characteristics.
Great job,
Surfsidemel

Back