Ratweiler Vs Chopweiler

The Chopweiler has always held a special place in my heart. With that said, I’ve never owned or even held a Ratweiler but they are currently available.

Does anyone here have any experience with both. If you do, can you say which one you prefer for the roll of a camp knife ?

Will the Ratweiler “chop” like the Chopweiler ?

Any opinions on the deference’s in handle designs ?

IMO it comes down to comfort. Camp knives get used so if the Ratweiler handle is not comfortable to you the Chopweiler might be an alternative. The Mega Ratweiler can perform many different tasks making it a great camp knife. When I chop with my Mega Ratweiler I wear gloves and I take big bites so I would have to say I prefer my Mega Ratweiler. I prefer it for camping because I can use it with or without gloves equally as easily making food prep or other slicing tasks that go along with camping easier on the hand. At the end of the day it is your hand that it will be in so comfort is king.

Will the Ratweiler chop like the Chopweiler? I can’t say; don’t have a Chopweiler. I can say all THREE Rateeilers that I have chop marvelously. I can also say the grip shape of the Ratweiler does not fit me. Still chops like a byatch, though.

Thanks for the input guys.

I’ll prob just have to find out the hard way. And by hard way I’m mean buying another knife lol. My problems are good !!!

There is a lot more Ratweilers out in the world and with different flavours on top of that! And all those newer versions (past 2010) have more sculpted handles which makes them more comfortable than the early ones.

Because of lack of the ‘hump’ in the handle and drop point blade Chopweiler has balance point slightly forward.

Will Ratweiler chop as well... almost, and it most likely outchop other knives in that size bracket

If the Ratweiler is still available in the next few weeks (still waiting to get dinged for the Mega RMD’s and a Rucki) I’ll pull the trigger on one.

With that said, I’d love to see a return of the Chopweiler.

I had a chopweiler and just got a mega ratweiler the other day. Havent used it yet but...... aren't they almost exactly the same? The major difference being the finger groove and thumb ramp? I love the thumb ramp, with a choked up grip it feels great! The finger groove is perfectly out of the way when gripping back for chopping. It also feels great when you just have your index finger in the groove in a normal grip. My only issue is when I grip it with my finger in the choil(great band name? Ha) , it is awkward for me. It only fits a finger and a half for me and my glove size L hands. I love the grind and everything else about it. I plan on putting it to good use and worst case grind the trigger groove down to resemble a chopweiler but keep the thumb ramp. Time will tell how I like that one small issue or not.

Wish I could help, but the looks of the Choppy reeled me in and that was it. I've never handled a Ratweiler. The MEGA RW was tempting, but my thicc BG FSH helped me hold back.

Rockgolfer,

Thank you. Very insightful.
I had a chopweiler and just got a mega ratweiler the other day. Havent used it yet but...... aren't they almost exactly the same? The major difference being the finger groove and thumb ramp? I love the thumb ramp, with a choked up grip it feels great! The finger groove is perfectly out of the way when gripping back for chopping. It also feels great when you just have your index finger in the groove in a normal grip. My only issue is when I grip it with my finger in the choil(great band name? Ha) , it is awkward for me. It only fits a finger and a half for me and my glove size L hands. I love the grind and everything else about it. I plan on putting it to good use and worst case grind the trigger groove down to resemble a chopweiler but keep the thumb ramp. Time will tell how I like that one small issue or not.

Chopweiler's point is more dropped relative to midline:
Y7FkQ1h.jpg

Ratweiler's point higher with more sweep up to tip:
aFortAT.jpg

Seems to me there's not as many Choppy's out there. Could be there were fewer made <who knows?> or could be users hold onto them more dearly and they don't show up on the Exchange.

Either way, I'd like to see a re-issue of Chopweilers.

Speaking of re-issues...might wanna look for an R9...a truly UNDERRATED model, it is one tuff sumbitch and more ergonomic than it looks:

Wish I could help, but the looks of the Choppy reeled me in and that was it. I've never handled a Ratweiler. The MEGA RW was tempting, but my thicc BG FSH helped me hold back.

your missing out man I have a thick FSH as well and I can tell you that the Mega Ratweiler takes bigger bites.

your missing out man I have a thick FSH as well and I can tell you that the Mega Ratweiler takes bigger bites.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's sweet. Just have a lot of blades so the bar is really high for what else I neeeed.

Will keep it in mind though. :D

Love the visible differential heat treat on that Chopweiler !!!

I can’t remember any other dif HT’d blades as of late, that I know of at least.

The Chopweiler has always held a special place in my heart. With that said, I’ve never owned or even held a Ratweiler but they are currently available.

Does anyone here have any experience with both. If you do, can you say which one you prefer for the roll of a camp knife ?

Will the Ratweiler “chop” like the Chopweiler ?

Any opinions on the deference’s in handle designs ?

Depending on where you're located, we could work out a deal for you to try one of my ratweilers if you want. I've never owned a choppy but I want one. Having said that though, the reports I've read is that the biggest functional difference is the handle and a lot of people seem to love the removal of the finger groove. I like the groove personally but when chopping it doesn't really get used as the handle is long enough that a rear grip allows you to get your hand way off the back of the knife. The ratweiler is my favorite camp knife and I've cycled through a lot of them, including some of my own design. The handle is something special.

I don't have the thin cut SR101 ratweiler anymore but I used it for many different tasks. I traded it away after getting and infiweiler. I used it a ton for trail maintenance work on the local mountain bike trails which is where the added stain resistance of infi was very desirable. She's also photogenic.
aFEVhn2l.jpg

2KYJqjbl.jpg

5MCcFWVl.jpg

ebsghk7l.jpg

GVlnjvMl.jpg

aENfw4hl.jpg

9BWWSj9l.jpg

SaOvTYal.jpg

12v3Mh0l.jpg

7ToAzmGl.jpg

0SGco4Wl.jpg

Back