RBO DIY Heat Treating Oven / Furnace Build

Hey guys, I was finally able to finish editing this video of my heat treating oven build. First and foremost I wanted to thank everyone here for their work on the legacy build threads, and for your recently help directly to me via the two threads I'm liking below.

Thermocouple troubleshooting - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/heat-treat-oven-issue-low-max-temp-auber-2352p.1786367/
New Oven Owner - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-questions-learn-me-up.1786933/#post-20482342

Some Stats:
245 Volts (measured)
3372 watts
17.8 Ohm coils (2 in series)
13.76 Amps
16 gauge Kanthal coils on each wall
Chamber = 6.5'' x 5'' x 18''
Watt/ft3 = 9,962

The video below is a full guide on how to build one like mine along with a parts list and wiring diagram in the description of the video.

https://youtu.be/7FalYyVASyw

Cheers,
RBO

Attachments

• RBO_HeatTreatOven_Wire.jpg
    RBO_HeatTreatOven_Wire.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 6
Keeton, you did a GREAT job on the video. One of the few 43 minute long videos I took the time to watch all the way thru. I like your oven.

edit 4-1-23 to provide YouTube link for video rather than facebook:

Last edited:
Keeton, you did a GREAT job on the video. One of the few 43 minute long videos I took the time to watch all the way thru. I like your oven.
Thank you greatly sir! This was a super fun project, and I felt that there weren't many detailed tutorials on how to build one.... Sometimes I find I like building the tools for knife making almost as much as making the knives themselves...

Well done, easy to follow and understand and answered all my questions.
As much as I hate making knifemaking equipment, I may give this one a try.
Thank you for your effort and time!

Looking forward to the video. I built your etcher a couple months ago, very nice video to follow along with.

What’s the total cost on your oven ?

Well done, easy to follow and understand and answered all my questions.
As much as I hate making knifemaking equipment, I may give this one a try.
Thank you for your effort and time!

Thank you sir!

Looking forward to the video. I built your etcher a couple months ago, very nice video to follow along with.

What’s the total cost on your oven ?

Heck yeah man. Here is the ballpark cost for me. It could of been done cheaper... but I decided to pay more for some items (PID, terminals, etc).

I decided to pay more for some items (PID,
Which model Auber PID did you get? Does it have memories and ramp modes? I've got a couple of the Auber SYL-2342 which are good PIDs, but are only single stage and no ramp modes. There are several points I really like on your design - makes me almost wish to build one. The EvenHeat 18" model I've got works ok, but do wish it was the newer model without coils across the back.

Good job.

Which model Auber PID did you get? Does it have memories and ramp modes? I've got a couple of the Auber SYL-2342 which are good PIDs, but are only single stage and no ramp modes. There are several points I really like on your design - makes me almost wish to build one. The EvenHeat 18" model I've got works ok, but do wish it was the newer model without coils across the back.

Good job.

Hey Ken, the Auber PID I got is the SYL - 2352P. It has the ability to set up some programs for sure. You have 30 temp/time set points. I bet you could set up 4-6 programs in there depending on how many steps they had. |

Attachments

• SYL-2352P Manual.pdf
    405.2 KB · Views: 0
Back