RD Tanto thoughts on.

Well I went Ranger RD crazy again...

I got/bought/aquired/madeitmineminemine! an RD Tanto.

Well it looked like it had a nice thicker blade part than the RD and a full spine almost the length of the blade. It all was correct as I looked at it.

I got it before I saw this, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...y-s-Ranger-RD-Tanto?highlight=Ranger+RD+Tanto that has a good review on it. I guess its more popular than I thought.

Comparing to my various RD knives, it seems pretty chunky (even for an RD knife) but well it was built for over kilt jobs in the review and others I saw and read. Heh yeah I got by just watching one U-Tube Vid.

The RD Tanto is strong, stout and spiffy! The 5160 steel seems to make a good tanto blade and point it seems.

Now seeing a tanto blade seems to have less general purpose applications than I'm use to with my other more traditional type blades. If I got any thing other than a 5160 OKC RD type knife I would of been kicking myself. But as I surmised AFTER watching videos and reading reviews on it, this is a heavy work blade. It seems it will work good on the general camp and field stuff but just not as general purpose as my other RD knives including my RD9. I'll just put smaller Buck 110 or other folder in its sheath pouch for finer work. Its probably going to used as a general purpose heavy blade in case I forget one of the others I left some other place. Hence my need for a number of Great Blades that don't break the bank like OKC produces! Or my little brother might steal it and proves he has more uses for it than I do...again...

I have to say it again like in that review, its seems its going to be moderately good at most things and excel at a few things. For me moderately good at most things is good enough where it can over lap to do other duties.

But as I said again earlier in another form, if you are going to have a tanto blade to do the usual stabbing and such with, one made out of 5160 steel and a good thickness seems a super one to get! Its going to take some time, but I got a moderately good feeling for this knife. I wish I could take it and use it at work, I have a feeling it would do well there.

Now for the nice thick almost all the down the spine 1/4 blade makes it look like its good for batoning.

Now for my usual Rant, I think a good 1/4" Ranger RD type blade or RTAC II with a saber grind and a heavy hilt like the RD series has would make a GREAT blade! Most my use of OKC knvies are my SP-51s, the SABER Grind is great for the the knife and much more energy saving than my full flat grind RD-9, which some times ends up getting used to teach me why I don't need an RTAC II. That hilt on the RD-9 makes it the camp knife for thumping and wumping. Yes I know an SP-53 is better I got my two finally coming for Warranty Replacement. Yes it took longer than what some would consider normal, but they were making new SP-53 production Run, so they offered me a knife from their web site for free for the inconvenience!

Any one have any advice or uses what a Tanto is better at than traditional blades? I'd like to hear it.

If you are going to get a heavy Tanto, this is the one to get!

Yes I know an SP-53 is better I got my two finally coming for Warranty Replacement. Yes it took longer than what some would consider normal, but they were making new SP-53 production Run, so they offered me a knife from their web site for free for the inconvenience!

I heard about that but didn't realize it was you. Sorry for the extra time, but we want to get that sort of thing right.

Nice review on the Tanto. I remember the first time I picked one of those up. I literally said "holy crap" out loud.

I know you people wanted to get them right. :D That's why I didn't mind waiting, since my SP-51s have been doing out standing work I knew it was worth the wait as I know you have to do production cycles and know the SP-53 will do the bushwhacking a bit better. That free knife sure was a bonus for my inconvenience. Heh for me that was a Bonus, I knew OKC would come through, and knew they wanted to get proper warranty replacement blades to me, as usual I found a glitch in their production cycle that would have to make me wait for a good and proper replacement blades. With my other SP-51s and RD-9 that do such a great job I intend for them to do, I know they will do it a bit better. I still love my SP-51s but with summer they become the main camp knives and one becomes the bail out kit stand by blade. Them fires in canada made me rethink what I need in the grab and go bag.

Plus I know my sister who vents...er bushwhack trail clearing that is, probably will be "Borrowing" an SP-53 when she comes up to vent on nature. Er muderate it...er meditate on it.

The RD Tanto i think will fit in the heavy abuse slash and bash knife class type, it probably will see more camp use with its RD hilt, as my only complaint about the SP-51 and SP-53 is they need a good hilt for smashing and bashing and thumping and whumping like the RD knives have. As above rant says a 5160 full 1/4" RTACII (or SP-51 sized :D ) type saber grind knife with a good thumping and wumping hilt would be perfect. :D I got the RD-9 because of the hilt over the RTACII for a large flat grind large blade I got. I find saber grinds better for what I do with them. The Woodsman knife looks good (SP-50 with a real full tang), but its flat ground with no thumping and whumping hilt has me waiting to see what others say about it.

Last edited:
This is a great short thick tantlizing Tanto, its great for when a shorter heavy chopper/cleaver is needed! I keep it around with lock back folder in its sheath for ultra finer stuff, other wise it out does the RD6 for the heavier duty stuff. Oh yeah the RD6 and RD Tanto use the same sheath. Really Ontario needs to make thicker saber grind versions of their RD Series! Yes its heavier, but man it sure literally cuts work down!

Grrr...this knife is just to dang useful as a utility blade and general HEAVY use knife where a shorter blade than my bigger knives aren't needed or as effective. I'm going to have to get another one. Love the Thumpin and whumpin hilt! I'm a wimp and tape my hilt.

Yeah usual Ontario needs to make a saber grind RD maybe with a spear point...

Love these affordable high quality working blades, and their warranty makes them worry free!

Yeah I did it again and ordered another one...my current one is to useful not to have two. Some one said I should spear point Mod my Tanto...but then I'd have to get another one to have two again....hmmm...

After looking the Tanto's blade over it looks like spear pointing it would only be a good idea of the point got broken off badly.

Well got the other Tanto today! Met the UPS guy in the town over heading to an appointment! Well...great blade! So nice to have two now. The short small chopper whopper really fills several needs!

Hilarious that I stumbled across this discontinued? knife from a four year old thread. Oh well such is life. I saw this thing as a winter rough user to replace my long gone but semi missed Becker BK2. Quarter inch thick 5160 should easily stand up to me battoning and prying moderate sized cold weather fire wood apart. And I get two slicing tips with a Tanto edge, for peeling/prying birch bark or sap encrusted bark. Should work really well for winter fires. Ordered, and I'll take it out with a new boiler that I got for my old Ti Emberlit. It's always fun to play with new toys ;)

My Brother loves the one I got him and its his go to tool making/using/assembling knife. If we some how do break off the tip we can make a nifty spear point out of it. Its a great mid sized multi tool. Not perfect for some tasks but its workable.

It don't seem discontinued. I went Tanto crazy and got 5 of them and gave one to my brother. The one my brother has he uses for making things like traps, even dang arrow/projectile traps for fun and other things I forgot how to do/make stuff. One stays at the old farm stead, one stays in my car, one stays in the in case to to run for life pack. And others swap and flip around when I want/need only a smaller multi-tool blade. Not as often as I like but one is going in the hunting pack. The RD Tanto is the reason why I never got a BK-7 as I got enough other BK knives and the TANTO seems pretty hard to break. Mind you I use it on Steel Vs Wood jobs, if I have to use it as a short prybar/windowbreaking/beltcutting/petcarrierbreakopener job again, like one accident I came across, I know it can do some work pretty good. RAK would probably of been better but a 1/4" slab of 5160 is a pretty good dang prybar.

My Brother loves the one I got him and its his go to tool making/using/assembling knife. If we some how do break off the tip we can make a nifty spear point out of it. Its a great mid sized multi tool. Not perfect for some tasks but its workable.

It don't seem discontinued. I went Tanto crazy and got 5 of them and gave one to my brother. The one my brother has he uses for making things like traps, even dang arrow/projectile traps for fun and other things I forgot how to do/make stuff. One stays at the old farm stead, one stays in my car, one stays in the in case to to run for life pack. And others swap and flip around when I want/need only a smaller multi-tool blade. Not as often as I like but one is going in the hunting pack. The RD Tanto is the reason why I never got a BK-7 as I got enough other BK knives and the TANTO seems pretty hard to break. Mind you I use it on Steel Vs Wood jobs, if I have to use it as a short prybar/windowbreaking/beltcutting/petcarrierbreakopener job again, like one accident I came across, I know it can do some work pretty good. RAK would probably of been better but a 1/4" slab of 5160 is a pretty good dang prybar.

I don't know if this is funny or embarrassing, but I forgot that I had an RD Tanto. I remember taking the scales off and sanding down the rough edges on corners, then popping it back together with some medium thread lock, months ago. I truly meant to take it out but forgot about it and got busy. I really like the knife actually. Funny that you mentioned the BK knives, as what flashed through my mind when I first saw the Tanto was "Now this is the perfect replacement for my long gone BK-2". And no tang cut outs like the BK.

Hi Guys!
I am new to this forum & just wanted to thank you guys for the reviews/comments on the RD Tanto. I will be adding one soon! BU tthe US/Cdn exchange rate, ugh...

Back