Re-covered Sheffield made Senator.

I do not normally have time or inclination to re-cover the vintage knives but this one was a bit of a different story.

This link takes you to the post that Brad (Ptradeco) posted in the great thread "Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...830-1930-A-golden-age?p=13650338#post13650338

large.jpg

I took the job of recovering this for a few reasons, one of which is the owner. The other important reason is the knife itself. A great piece of early English cutlery that was abused. This knife deserved another shot at a good life! :)

My challenge ,in my mind at least, was to retain as much of the original flavor. I did not want to make Brad a new knife, nor did I want the knife to look like an overly cleaned, repaired knife. While I cleaned a few areas, I did leave a lot of the original patina.

Well done Ken, for taking this on, you've made this old knife beautiful again, and, I'm sure, made Brad a very happy man :) :thumbup:

What a superb job of resurrecting that old Senator, Ken. Congrats to you and Brad!

Ken, you are a true artist. You did indeed keep the original flavor of the knife, and someplace far above, some old master cutlers from Sheffield are smiling down on you with great approval. :thumbup:

Excellent result in every way !!!

The condition of the blades begged for the re-cover, IMO. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::)

Nothing taken away, only enhanced and brought back to new life. True restoration work, an art:thumbup:

.....and someplace far above, some old master cutlers from Sheffield are smiling down on you with great approval. :thumbup:

I believe this to be truth!!!

If you read the post I made in the Sheffield thread I said I had finally made my mind up to go ahead with the restoration project. Ken and I are basically opposed to these types of, to quote BRL, "Destored and Restroyed" projects, but due to several circumstances I made an exception and Ken agreed. This is intended to be an anniversary present for my wife, and if you read the post, done in pink pearl. Really beautiful stuff but apparently has never been available in sizes adequate for this job. Rather than scrap the decision I opted for the use of antique shell again. No regrets, fabulous stuff, especially on a knife like this.

I own a number of pieces of work from Ken and have carried the same one everyday for a long while. My wife also likes sharp pointy things and I intend and hope she carries this one regularly as well. If you ever see this one again the shield will be engraved with the dates of our marriage.

Thank you sincerely Ken for working your craft on this special knife. You are the best my friend!

Great work Ken! Thanks for bringing this old treasure back to life. Brad is a very lucky man. :thumbup:

Very very neat Brad!!! what an fabulous restore and with your wedding date to be inscribed in the future, very nice touch;)

Marvelous job Ken:cool::thumbup:

What a beauty! ! Now I have one more grail knife to look for. I have one like it with stag covers. I have since been searching for one in MOP that I can afford when I find one. Now this?:eek: This is more than this poor fellow can take.:eek:

Wonderful work Ken. This knife deserved the loving care you gave it.

Great decision to go with the restore. Congratulations to you and you wife Brad.

Chris

As we know - especially Brad and Ken that once you restore a knife you diminish its value significantly, I would love someone to stand before us and even try to explain how in any way the absolutely superb job that was executed on this knife has made this knife any less collectable.

I believe ANY collector would now dive on this knife if ever it becomes available for purchase.
Well done Gentleman - this is truly a work of art!

I believe this to be truth!!!

I certainly believe those old Sheffield cutlers would approve :) You took a thoughtful decision Brad, and Ken's careful restoration has made this badly abused old knife beautiful again, and undoubtedly very close to how it would have looked had it not been mistreated. I think Ken is a true artist with a great respect for old cutlery and cutlery traditions. Great work all-round fellers :thumbup:

Back