Re-Did Falcon Wing Again and Added Improvements

I posted some pictures the other day of the (Ferrum Forge Massdrop) Falcon Wing I re-did (from the Massdrop original formulation), but there were certain elements that I still didn't like, so I re-did a lot of my work and did some extra work on top of that, today. What follows are pictures and some explanations of some less-obvious work that went into the finished knife.

Show Side

6TGiHm3.jpg

Show Side (Again)

3G28KKJ.jpg

Lock Side

WF4LHqV.jpg

Chamfered Clip, Which Had Been a Hot Spot.

uwcmcUH.jpg

Dremeled Previously Over-Aggressive Flipper Tab

ry0ZcT5.jpg

You're gonna stand out for Mardi Gras! :p

Jokes aside, great job. Do we have the next Joe Bananas here?

You're gonna stand out for Mardi Gras! :p

Jokes aside, great job. Do we have the next Joe Bananas here?
It was meant to just be blue and gold, but a little purple seems to have snuck in, and it took a long time to get it the way that it is, so it's a little Mardi Gras. :) Thanks for the compliment, too! Who is Joe Bananas?

It was meant to just be blue and gold, but a little purple seems to have snuck in, and it took a long time to get it the way that it is, so it's a little Mardi Gras. :) Thanks for the compliment, too! Who is Joe Bananas?
He's a custom anodizer...been around for years...heard he was at Blade this year.
Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 2.51.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 2.53.02 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 2.52.09 PM.png

Ahhhhh. Now I see. I googled him and he is also a clothes designer who seems to have disappeared. Anyway, I'm finding that the electric blue color is very fragile. When I rub it with my finger, it turns purple, so the blue is decaying on the front scale. I will probably just make that scale all gold. I tried many, many, many different iterations that didn't really work, before settling on this one (and the previous one). I really wanted a two-tone show scale, but maybe it's just not in the cards. Neither Flitz nor rock tumbler could get this one done. :-/

It's not fragile or decaying, just dull from your finger oils...windex is your friend;)

No, I'm afraid I know all about Windex (though I use alcohol pads, which does the same thing). The blue ano is rubbing off and turning to purple.
If you say so, but I've never seen anything like that. Titanium oxide is incredibly hard on a surface level:confused:

If you say so, but I've never seen anything like that. Titanium oxide is incredibly hard on a surface level:confused:
I haven't seen it, either, but blue is right past purple on the spectrum. Normally, purple starts turning to blue as I go above 80V, so if I were to remove a bit of the oxide layer, the first color to appear would be purple. Keep removing the oxide layer bit by bit, and the colors will appear in reverse order, with bronze being just about the last color to appear.

I totally get that, and have watched it happen in Multi-etch...just never from rubbing with my finger.

I totally get that, and have watched it happen in Multi-etch...just never from rubbing with my finger.
I know. Me either. It's a bit of a mystery to me. This color just doesn't seem that durable -- maybe because it's right on the edge of purple, so a very slight reduction in oxide thickness turns it purple. Shrug.

Back