(Re) Introduction, Random Thoughts

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Hi,

My name is Steven Garsson. Sign off my posts STeven Garsson....used to have key-stick, and it stuck.

Have been actively collecting custom knives for over 35 years. Honestly don't know how many there are....over 300, less than 1,000.

When started posting on this s/f many years ago, it was a Kumbaya fest, where everyone would gather in a massive c-j to heap praise, warranted or not. It didn't help anyone....but am sure it felt good. From my experience, that did not reflect the realities of the custom knife world as I saw it, so added some salt to the mix, and like it or lump it, things started to change....IMO for the better.

However there are some significant regrets on how I wrote, attacking, occasionally, those that just didn't deserve it. Not doing that any more. Sincere apologies to those who know who they are, because I apologized in person....It's a community that I belong to, always have as an adult, always will, and try to make amends whenever possible to those who have been wronged.

Last year brought me to my knees before God and family....not anything I did wrong, just how it worked out....living day to day has been an ongoing challenge.

Anyway, since I am back to some degree, it is my feeling that the reason for this s/f is to be a reflection of the Custom and Handmade Community, not just a "wow, your stuff is great" BS hero worship c/j Cult. If that is what the Community wants, you are welcome to it.

That said, there are probably 30+ makers and craftsmen that have reached out to me in the last two years asking me to bring some salt back to to the table....that the unvarnished truth (as I see it) helped them to jump to the next level and they didn't get it from other people. This has never been about "me"....this has always been about "us". My observations were honed on the backs of so many great knifemakers who were generous with their time and knowledge that I could not list them all properly, but suffice to say, my abilities to look at a knife now would be nothing if it were not for the greats of the '80's to today.

I DO think it is important to report the truth as it is seen, when it is observed. If someone sucks or is a thief or misrepresents themselves, that GB&U is not the only place for that kind of chicanery expose', that this is a much more specific and purpose driven s/f where the kids can learn something, but where the adults roll up their sleeves and gather 'round the table.

Thank you all and good night.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

welcome back to the forum. although i felt you went just a little too far sometimes, i have missed your spicy truthful comments.

STeven

good to see you back again!

Bill

Hi,

My name is Steven Garsson. Sign off my posts STeven Garsson....used to have key-stick, and it stuck.

Have been actively collecting custom knives for over 35 years. Honestly don't know how many there are....over 300, less than 1,000.

When started posting on this s/f many years ago, it was a Kumbaya fest, where everyone would gather in a massive c-j to heap praise, warranted or not. It didn't help anyone....but am sure it felt good. From my experience, that did not reflect the realities of the custom knife world as I saw it, so added some salt to the mix, and like it or lump it, things started to change....IMO for the better.

However there are some significant regrets on how I wrote, attacking, occasionally, those that just didn't deserve it. Not doing that any more. Sincere apologies to those who know who they are, because I apologized in person....It's a community that I belong to, always have as an adult, always will, and try to make amends whenever possible to those who have been wronged.

Last year brought me to my knees before God and family....not anything I did wrong, just how it worked out....living day to day has been an ongoing challenge.

Anyway, since I am back to some degree, it is my feeling that the reason for this s/f is to be a reflection of the Custom and Handmade Community, not just a "wow, your stuff is great" BS hero worship c/j Cult. If that is what the Community wants, you are welcome to it.

That said, there are probably 30+ makers and craftsmen that have reached out to me in the last two years asking me to bring some salt back to to the table....that the unvarnished truth (as I see it) helped them to jump to the next level and they didn't get it from other people. This has never been about "me"....this has always been about "us". My observations were honed on the backs of so many great knifemakers who were generous with their time and knowledge that I could not list them all properly, but suffice to say, my abilities to look at a knife now would be nothing if it were not for the greats of the '80's to today.

I DO think it is important to report the truth as it is seen, when it is observed. If someone sucks or is a thief or misrepresents themselves, that GB&U is not the only place for that kind of chicanery expose', that this is a much more specific and purpose driven s/f where the kids can learn something, but where the adults roll up their sleeves and gather 'round the table.

Thank you all and good night.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Steven,

You were one of the people I would never engage in posts, simply because the way I was going to speak to you I reserve for face to face conversations and if it escalates, let the chips fall where they may from there.

I don't believe we ever even spoke online/in threads, but I wouldn't talk to a dog the way you spoke to some people, and I knew if I addressed you where it would go, as my words are backed with actions, live and in-person.

That being said, it takes a lot of balls to make the post you just did (in my opinion), putting everything out there and opening yourself up. Much respect. I hope you keep your head up dealing with whatever you have going on.

Sam :thumbsup:

Steven,

I don't believe we ever even spoke online/in threads, but I wouldn't talk to a dog the way you spoke to some people, and I knew if I addressed you where it would go, as my words are backed with actions, live and in-person.

That being said, it takes a lot of balls to make the post you just did (in my opinion), putting everything out there and opening yourself up. Much respect. I hope you keep your head up dealing with whatever you have going on.

Sam :thumbsup:

Hi Sam,

You are right, simple as that and i have no excuse. Can't undo the past, just take responsibility for my words and actions and move forward.

As I posted elsewhere in this s/f, my wife died suddenly, I got surgery and disgnosed with bladder cancer last year. It was and is, a kick in the teeth. What I didn't post is that I lost two cats this year, including my most favorite in my life up to this point and that sucked so bad, words can't describe. He got me through the darkest days last year.

I have a beautiful girlfriend, she's a nurse and was crucial in my healing last year. just had a biopsy today (all these procedures are humbling and uncomfortable). results are good. Earlier this year, while getting my Immunotherapy treament was struck by how many young people were being treated for cancer much more damaging than mine. some are probably not alive anymore. it's sobering and gut-wrenching to witness, frankly.

I still have a temper, but don't have it in me to bring the swingin' dick out like before....Can get my point across with being a jerk about it....although i continue to see many stillborn knives on the internet, that is someone else's horse to ride.

Thanks for writing your thoughts...it's appreciated.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Hi Sam,

You are right, simple as that and i have no excuse. Can't undo the past, just take responsibility for my words and actions and move forward.

As I posted elsewhere in this s/f, my wife died suddenly, I got surgery and disgnosed with bladder cancer last year. It was and is, a kick in the teeth. What I didn't post is that I lost two cats this year, including my most favorite in my life up to this point and that sucked so bad, words can't describe. He got me through the darkest days last year.

I have a beautiful girlfriend, she's a nurse and was crucial in my healing last year. just had a biopsy today (all these procedures are humbling and uncomfortable). results are good. Earlier this year, while getting my Immunotherapy treament was struck by how many young people were being treated for cancer much more damaging than mine. some are probably not alive anymore. it's sobering and gut-wrenching to witness, frankly.

I still have a temper, but don't have it in me to bring the swingin' dick out like before....Can get my point across with being a jerk about it....although i continue to see many stillborn knives on the internet, that is someone else's horse to ride.

Thanks for writing your thoughts...it's appreciated.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Steven,

I am truly sorry to hear that, pal. That is beyond brutal. You have my sincerest condolences. I hope things continue on the upswing for you, verily. I certainly don't hold anything against you, how could I after you owned everything so humbly and thoroughly? Not easy to do.

As mentioned above, it takes mettle (in my opinion) to come on here and offer an unconditional statement and apology as you did, and let the chips fall where they may. I have great respect for that. You certainly have a keen eye, and every SOLID maker I have ever known appreciates perspicacity when it comes to their work. I am a huge fan of honesty/clarity myself, it's how we grow, in all areas of life. It sounds as though you have your approach dialed in now, "seasoned with salt," as they say.

Best of luck with all that you have going on, and again, much respect. Solid move. Thank you for all the honesty, it speaks to character.

Sam

Never heard of you.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D

Just kidding welcome back and hope things improve

Reactions: mb>
Hey Steven, thanks for reopening the door to this 'saloon', and opening your soul to clarify.

(Steven and I have shared MANY phone and personal conversations in the past two years. Life and community are essential to us.)

My SECOND forum I click on after I visit here is the Good Bad & Ugly. Human nature dictates we are compelled to WATCH a good train wreck. They are abundant in there. YIKES!

That 'salty' dialog morphs into cringe when critique is unwelcome (from the poster).

The dilemma is: Does the justifiable vision of what 'should' be improved (in a build sense) overrule the poster's sense of (blind) personal pride for their work? Is vocal improvement of this piece better for them and the craft, or is silence better for them and community?

There is NO right or easy answer. Case by case.

Ya know: What if there was an ONGOING 'Honest Talk' thread where a person/maker/collector might optionally link to a shown piece in their other display thread, yet the Honest Talk thread might contain and encourage the improvements as well as the 'attaboys'. One part Kumbaya, one part hard education, one part personal preference.

Who knows.

Steven, one of your gifts is clarity of speech. 'Man, he really got right to the point, and I would have never thought that until he said so." I've muttered that MANY times.

I look forward to more of that, with your new temperament. Your dialog does not need salt to improve. :thumbsup:

Rough roads build character and you my friend have run the Baja 1000 barefoot using your balls for a brake

I’ll be disappointed if you tone it down to much as Coop says people love train wrecks :)

Welcome back Steven I hope you are doing well. I know we haven’t always seen eye to eye on somethings but no big deal. Anyhow looking forward to hearing more from you.

Rough roads build character and you my friend have run the Baja 1000 barefoot using your balls for a brake

I’ll be disappointed if you tone it down to much as Coop says people love train wrecks :)

You know who rallied around me with all that happened, Joe?

You, David Mirabile, Coop, Matt Diskin, Paul Long, John Gray, John Young, Larry Fuegen, Harvey Dean, Bill Ruple, Bob and Suzi Terzuola, Kris Loomis, Gustavo Cecchini, RJ Martin, Jesse Harber, Art Washburn, Adam and Hailey DesRosiers, Bob Kramer, Phil Baldwin, Dave Lisch, Dave Ellis, Tim Wright (If I left your name out it isn't a slight, my brain is still mushy)......The Knife Community propped me up when all I wanted to do was drink myself to death and nobody was having any of that, fighting to keep me from falling into that horrible depression.

Coop came out and spent some time with me before Karen's Celebration of Life in september.

I'm not going all wussy, but if I'm going after a crappy knife, purveyor, collector......there HAS to be a reason for it, it has to make sense, have a purpose and benefit the community CLEARLY and without ambiguity.

Just don't have it in me anymore to randomly spew venom. It doesn't feel good or right, makes me look like an ass and doesn't benefit the Community that collectively wrapped their arms around me like a warm blanket on a very cold, black night.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
I’ll always be here buddy and I’m proud of you ........... well at least sometimes :)

Very happy to see you writing again

Humility is always becoming. Well done. Welcome back. My sincerest wishes for your continued improvement in all aspects of your life.

With respect to Coop, I don't think a separate s/f is necessary for honest opinion. That's what this place needs. Bring it.

Excellent post Steven. Sorry to hear of life's hardships. Glad you are here.

Key:

c/j = circle jerk
s/f = subforum

[snip]
Just don't have it in me anymore to randomly spew venom.
[snip]

Can you occasionally spew a little venom non-randomly, at least? o_O

...j/k :D

STeven since first stumbling into Bladeforums I've enjoyed and paid extra attention to your often blunt blade observations (no pun intended). So don't change too much, please.

Perhaps you'll find this quote interesting, from Aussie friend of mine who was hired as a bar doorman/bouncer, despite being normally-sized: "They were looking for someone with a bit more of a silver tongue, than an iron fist." I guess sometimes the former can have the same desired effect. We'll just ignore that the Aussie was replaced with a standard-issue bruiser rather quicky.

Thanks for all the time you've given me already, in attempt to somehow get some lessons about blades and the knife world beaten through my chewin' lead skull.

Good to see you back in the fold here STeven.... I know I don't rank in the "anybodies" of BF, but... I've been here a long time, and I've enjoyed your posts. Heck, you probably don't even remember, but you sent me a little bitty karda that I admired way back in the day... it still resides in my desk as my primary letter opener. I can't imagine all that you have gone through with recent events... but, I do deeply understand the loss of pets thing. That, is my job/calling/career/etc. You ever need any DVM advice.... I'm your huckleberry. Glad to see you back, and I wish you all the best in the future.

Good, Bad or Indifferent..We all have our opinions.
Me.....I love the guy and we should all be thrilled that he will grace these pages again.

Mediocraty.......F%&@ no!
Dave

Happy to see you back.

I'm pretty confident you have called me an idiot or something at least once....but I have learned from many of your posts.

Good to see you back.

I'm a nobody, but I learned a lot from your clear cut and clean comments on loads of people's knives. It also meant that when you commented on a knife of mine. And added a small compliment to it. That compliment meant THAT much more. Because I knew you wouldn't have said it unless you meant it.

It also meant that I knew I'd done plenty of things on it just "ok" good enough to not critique, but not good enough to be remarkable. It's driven me to do better.

I'm happy you're back in action here. Sorry to hear about the rough time you've been going through

Back