re sharpening in the feild

ever since the blade show last year when I got my esee izula, it has been my number one go to knife for hunting and fishing, I dont head into the woods or the swamp without my izula and my leatherman wave on my belt, now normally, my izula stays hair poppin sharp, it does get used a lot and if the edge becomes dull, when i get home I touch up the edge on a series of stones and then a leather strop, but what about when staying out for a week or more at a time? what do you guys carry to keep a good using edge on your knives in the feild? any reccomendation on smaller lightweight sharpeners? I have never really liked those small pocket stones and i can always use something to strop it with

thanks
Ian

Even on my convexed edged knives I carry a flat diamond hone and simply do a micro-bevel when it gets dull in the field. Works great.

Falkniven DC4 stone is all I use. I dulled my RC-3 quite a bit playing around with a fire-steel. I had a shaving edge back in about 5 minutes with that little stone.

thanks jeff, I was thinkin one of those double sided smith diamond hones, I like esee knives a lot because of the coated 1095 blades, the 1095 is easy to sharpen and the coating on the blades keeps it from becomming a solid piece of rust down here in the swamps

I plan on doing a trip in your area of the swamp soon. A doctor friend of mine has got a place down there and we're gonna do some gator hutin and have some fun.

im so jealous, Ive always wanted to hunt gators but never knew the right people for tags, and they are everywhere around here! but when me and my buddies find time in between goin to college we head down in the swamp for bowfishin alligator gar, now thats fun

in fact me and my buddy want to do the randall jungle survival course really bad cause we are already kinda used to an enviroment where everything is wet, hot, humid, and everything wants to bite and eat you, but im sure the amazon is that on a much larger scale

Hang tight, Ian. We're thinking about doing a course in the swamps of Louisiana.

Hang tight, Ian. We're thinking about doing a course in the swamps of Louisiana.

If you guys did one in La I would jump on that for sure.

Ian-
I use a flat diamond hone as well. I have only had to use it once in the field since I got my Izula but it worked good for me.

mlrs

Ian,
I keep a couple of versions of the RediEdge in my backpacks.

retacticalitem.jpg

See the previous discussion here: Sharpeners Not much larger than a stick of gum, and work great for quick edges. Not the ultimate in sharpening, but they're lightweight, durable, don't take up much space and are VERY quick (two or three passes are all you need normally).

If you're only carrying one stone the DC4 is a good choice. Personally I like the eze-lap sportsman's diamond hone and a spyderco double stuff stone. If you're willing to snap one in half you can fit a spyderco UF rod in the sheath w/ the diamond hone.

I usually carry this Gatco ceramic (similar to the brown spyderco sharpmaker rod but only about 3" long)
G60016.jpg

And this tiny DMT folding mini sharpener (maybe 2" x less than 1" closed) in coarse

http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/other.htm

The combo weighs next to nothing, packs small, and cover darn near every sharpening you need in the "field" especially when you combine it with the diamond file on a leatherman tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anytime I know I'm going to be away for more than a couple of days, I carry this with me. I can get any knife back to a wicked edge within minutes with this sharpener. I recommend them.

546892_raw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small piece of leather with black compound on it and a piece of 600 and 800 grit sandpaper in a tin. I've never needed anything other than the leather to touch up an edge while field dressing.

+1 for the Gatco Triceps Rod. The ends have different angles so when you set it down , you can get close to the factory angles for most blades. Nice to keep in your pack.

Back