Real Benchmade 940?

Real or fake?

• Total voters
Bought this one off of amazon.ca from a seller called Blades Canada. I messaged them and they claimed to be an authorized dealer. Some things seemed off about the package when it arrived though. The box arrived inside of a sealed plastic bag. Kinda like the stuff used to vacuum seal food. The box itself didn't have the seals on the bottom. Are the boxes supposed to have the clear sticker seals on the bottom? I swear the box is supposed to have those.

For the knife itself, it arrived out of the box kinda loose. Very different from the one I got from Cabelas before which was much tighter out of the box. When I removed the pocket clip, it seems like there's some glue or something stuck to the aluminum scales? Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? On top of this, the date code and other text on the box seems a bit blurry. Am I just worrying too much?

Pictures in the album here: https://imgur.com/a/Pwn84Ch

Last edited:
Forgot to add that I also noticed that the depth of the screw holes in the thumb studs are drastically different depths. The thumb stud on the side with the osborne logo is like twice as deep as the one on the other side.

The retailer is a bonafide Authorized Benchmade seller, however not sure if they are the BF payed retailer list. As far as the box looking like it was opened, yes it was. Benchmade cranks down the pivot of everything they send to canada and the aforementioned retailer backs off the pivot again upon delivery into our great nanny state.

Edit: I just checked my 940's and they all have uneven depth to the thumb studs, never noticed it before. Also, uneven grinds pretty well identify it as a real BM (all sharpening is done by hand). Don't worry, you have a real 940, now go and try to break it.

Last edited:
The retailer is a bonafide Authorized Benchmade seller, however not sure if they are the BF payed retailer list. As far as the box looking like it was opened, yes it was. Benchmade cranks down the pivot of everything they send to canada and the aforementioned retailer backs off the pivot again upon delivery into our great nanny state.

Edit: I just checked my 940's and they all have uneven depth to the thumb studs, never noticed it before. Also, uneven grinds pretty well identify it as a real BM (all sharpening is done by hand). Don't worry, you have a real 940, now go and try to break it.
How were you able to find out that they’re an official retailer? Is it on a website somewhere? Is the Blades Canada seller the same as warriorsandwonders.com which goes by the same name (and shows up on Benchmade’s website?)

Yes they are. Oh and if you are worried about buying anything from the "big river site", then I recommend buying from an authorized BM dealer, then no worries.

On an aside, I wonder why we seem to be getting a lot of "is this a fake 940" threads?

I
Yes they are. Oh and if you are worried about buying anything from the "big river site", then I recommend buying from an authorized BM dealer, then no worries.

On an aside, I wonder why we seem to be getting a lot of "is this a fake 940" threads?
I phoned up warriors and they confirmed that it’s the same company.
I think a lot of the worry comes from the fit and finish of Benchmade knives. I think people expect a perfect fit and finish and are suspect when it's even slightly off.
Personally, I was worried because I'm just that kind of person. I'm probably still reacting to things skeptically because of my recent trip to Asia. There are so many fake things to watch out for over there.

I just saw a fake 940 on Facebook and the Chinese really have it down.
That portion under the pocket clip on yours seems strange. Not something I’ve seen before.

I just saw a fake 940 on Facebook and the Chinese really have it down.
That portion under the pocket clip on yours seems strange. Not something I’ve seen before.
any link to the fake 940? would be interested in seeing how they look. Scary how fast they reiterate things

on another note, on your 940s, have you experienced the weird glue underneath the pocket clip?

any link to the fake 940? would be interested in seeing how they look. Scary how fast they reiterate things
There is a FB group that’s for Sanrenmu, Ganzo, and other Chinese knives... you’ll find it if you look. The guys on there are usually most interested in new Chinese designs but there has been an upswing in new members showing off clones. Just today there was a 940 and it’s pretty scary on point.
I asked and they said one of the telltale signs are that the clones have a smoother feel than he original and that it is getting very hard to tell the difference otherwise

on another note, on your 940s, have you experienced the weird glue underneath the pocket clip?
It's probably someone at BM put too much loctite on the clip screws. I have a 484 that I put too much on and when I went to swap the clip back, I noticed the same thing under it's clip.

Bought this one off of amazon.ca from a seller called Blades Canada. I messaged them and they claimed to be an authorized dealer. Some things seemed off about the package when it arrived though. The box arrived inside of a sealed plastic bag. Kinda like the stuff used to vacuum seal food. The box itself didn't have the seals on the bottom. Are the boxes supposed to have the clear sticker seals on the bottom? I swear the box is supposed to have those.

For the knife itself, it arrived out of the box kinda loose. Very different from the one I got from Cabelas before which was much tighter out of the box. When I removed the pocket clip, it seems like there's some glue or something stuck to the aluminum scales? Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? On top of this, the date code and other text on the box seems a bit blurry. Am I just worrying too much?

Pictures in the album here: https://imgur.com/a/Pwn84Ch
Bench made doesn't always have great QC so some of the problems shown in the photos could just be small variations between that exact Bench made and another one. The Osborne logo seems a bit faded which I would not expect from a knife of that price. If you are super worried return it if you can and spend a little extra at a dealer who you know is trust worthy to have the peace of mind that you know that you are getting a genuine Bench made.

The glue residue under the clip, loose action and the box missing the sticker point more to a knife that was bought and returned with little to no use. I wouldn’t worry about it.

I just got a 275 of for $190 after tax. My wife told me about it when she ordered it and I was worried it was a return. For the next couple days I was apprehensive about what I might find. Perhaps the fit and finish was atrocious and the previous owner (it had to be a knife knut, nobody else would put $200 down on a knife :p:D) returned it, or it wasn’t a bonafied Benchmade. Long story short, I looked the whole thing over and it turns out it was perfect! If the dealer is a certified Benchmade dealer, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Yours looks legit from the photos you've provided. But we could tell better if you provide images of the full blade on logo side and full shot of the knife closed from above it.

The clones have a different blade in some dimensions.theres a yt video showing them side by side but the guy behind the camera doesn't point out those differences cause he's a nob. But I digress . Looks legit to me.

Back