Really...

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

• Black

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Polished (Aka silver)

Votes: 111 83.5%

• Total voters
I can send you a SAK Pioneer if you would like, it would be this weekend before I could mail it though.

It’s not new, has a few swirl type marks on one side of the blade, other than that it’s in excellent shape.
PhoenixKZ, jump on this very generous offer, the Pioneer is a great SAK.

Very cool of you Boru13:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ok, glad I was notified that it was not a good steel.

What Spyderco knife has VG-10 steel? What other good EDC knife has VG-10 steel?
I would not say it is a bad steel but, there are knives with better steel in your price range.

Personally, if I was buying knives for you, I would start you with a SAK and then move on to a US made Buck Ranger. A decent multi-tool would be next. And then would be a Spyderco or Benchmade of some sort. Or maybe a fixed blade if it fit your lifestyle.

Here’s why...

Many of us have been where you are at. It is real easy to buy knives based upon what looks cool. We all have done it at some point. What we ended up with was a bunch of cool looking knives that did not meet our needs.

More to come...

I can send you a SAK Pioneer if you would like, it would be this weekend before I could mail it though.

It’s not new, has a few swirl type marks on one side of the blade, other than that it’s in excellent shape.
I will ask! However... I am not a golden member so I can’t trade? Or can I?

Ok, glad I was notified that it was not a good steel.

What Spyderco knife has VG-10 steel? What other good EDC knife has VG-10 steel?

Spyderco generally makes great knives. The main issue I have with Spyderco is price. There are competitive at some levels but a lot of their sub-$50 stuff seems very overpriced for what it is. It feels like you're paying a premium for the brand name in that price bracket. Like I said, I wouldn't pay more than $30 for 8Cr13Mov and even that can be hard to justify.

VG-10 is a good all-round EDC steel. The Delica has a nice thin blade that cuts very well. FRN is typically a less expensive handle material. It gets used on a lot of inexpensive knives and it can feel out of place at the price of a Delica. However, I've had a lot of different knives in FRN over the years. It works and it holds up fairly well. The main issue is if you like it. The only other consideration is that the Delica is a back lock. It's not known for its quick action.

Coming from the world of assisted opening, I'm surprised you didn't go with a good manual flipper. BTW, there are lots of other knives out there in VG-10. Along with N690, VG-10 is often considered a step up from 14C28N or 9Cr18Mov. (The individual heat treatment matters but I think all of those are good EDC steels.) Civivi makes a few "fancy" knives in VG-10 and they're currently on sale (see below). If you're putting in the work to save up, it makes sense to take your time, watch some reviews, and weigh all the different options. One benefit to some of the less expensive but still high quality options discussed in this thread is that trying them is more affordable. I think it's worth finding out exactly what qualities you like in an EDC knife before spending big on one.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--CIVIVI--3293#/filter:blade_material:VG-10

PheonixKingZ PheonixKingZ
If you haven’t already, check out the ABC thread in GKD
Lots of good looking knives in that thread, some $$$$, some $.
Fun thread, should give you some ideas on what’s out there.
Delica is a fine knife, back lock isn’t my favorite, but does eliminate the tactical flavor, making it palatable to ones parents.

All of the ones you mentioned were discontinued Chronovore Chronovore ?

PheonixKingZ PheonixKingZ
If you haven’t already, check out the ABC thread in GKD
Lots of good looking knives in that thread, some $$$$, some $.
Fun thread, should give you some ideas on what’s out there.
Delica is a fine knife, back lock isn’t my favorite, but does eliminate the tactical flavor, making it palatable to ones parents.
I will check that out.

The only reason why I wanted a Spyderco over a flipper, is because it is supposedly super smooth and is a one-handed opener.

CIVIVI seems like a nice brand, just all the ones you mentioned were discontinued, lol. Any more suggestions?

I would not say it is a bad steel but, there are knives with better steel in your price range.

Personally, if I was buying knives for you, I would start you with a SAK and then move on to a US made Buck Ranger. A decent multi-tool would be next. And then would be a Spyderco or Benchmade of some sort. Or maybe a fixed blade if it fit your lifestyle.

Here’s why...

Many of us have been where you are at. It is real easy to buy knives based upon what looks cool. We all have done it at some point. What we ended up with was a bunch of cool looking knives that did not meet our needs.

More to come...

I’m back. Sorry for the delay. Had to take my wife to work.

So, if I may continue... as much fun as a new cool knife can be, the “right” knife is even better.
It fits your hand, holds an edge, easy to sharpen, and is a joy to use.

The gear I mentioned above (SAK, Buck 112 Ranger, etc.)
has proven its worth over the years. It is practical, reasonably priced, and made by Yanks here in the US (not the SAK).

More importantly, nobody gives it a second thought. Sometimes not even a first one.

When I was your age, having knife was not a big deal. It was commonplace.

Now we have a large segment of the population that feels that a knife is not needed outside the kitchen. If you have a pocket knife, they consider it a danger.

Why do you need need to carry something dangerous? To cause someone harm of course. Crazy, I know. But, they do feel that way. Just the way times going. And, it is getting worse. (If your parents were like that, they would not even consider your desires.)

The knives I suggested are so common place that they just naturally seem to fit into everyday life. No one really bats an eye when they see a SAK and the basic Buck 110/112 knife has been around since 1964. (It too, caused some fear when first introduced. Cities and counties all over banned “Buck” knives. The reason we have the Ranger 112 is because of a ban on the 110 Folding Hunter on the USS Ranger.)

Many of the features that make a cool knife “cool” can trigger a fear response from these type of people. The black finish on a blade is common for this. An odd blade shape can do it too. Sorry, Spyderco, this means you. Most people have never seen a Spyderco knife, much less heard of one. But, they seem to know what they are afraid of. Nuts.

Also, many things that make a knife “cool” also make it “tactical”. If you want to have some fun and learn at the same time, look at the running threads about tactical knives.

So, if your parents and adults like me are not telling you what you want to hear, it’s because we are speaking with experience and wisdom. Not because we want to spoil your fun. Just saying.

Rant off.

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled program.

I still want to know what you end up with.

The only reason why I wanted a Spyderco over a flipper, is because it is supposedly super smooth and is a one-handed opener.

CIVIVI seems like a nice brand, just all the ones you mentioned were discontinued, lol. Any more suggestions?

A good manual flipper should be super smooth and open with the press of one finger. The Civivi knives I discussed are definitely like that. Their actions run on ball bearings for the specific purpose of being super smooth. The back-lock Spyderco knives run on regular washers and tend to be much stiffer. It is difficult to "Spidey Flick" them when new. They get better as they break in but they'll never be on the same level.

BTW, the Aquila, Courser, and Naja have all been officially discontinued but they are still in stock at BladeHQ. (Notice the "add to cart" button.) That's probably why those models are on sale. The Aquila is the only one I haven't personally experienced so I can't comment on it. The Baklash I mentioned earlier is also in stock. That's an excellent choice for EDC. https://www.bladehq.com/?search=civivi+baklash

I mentioned watching reviews and a big part of that is to see the knife from different angles and to see the action in motion. The discussion part of a review is only as good as the reviewer. Kevin Cleary is one of my favorite reviewers. He did a video on the Aquila if you are interested in that one:

No matter what you get, you will probably like and dislike some things about it. We can tell you what we love, but we aren't you, and can't know exactly what you'll love. Each new knife you try you will narrow down what you like by trial and error. Handle and steel flavors, methods of opening, sizes, blade shapes, etc. Tons of good advice here, but you will find something in every single thread that looks like "the one". But until you start buying some different knives and trying them for different things it will be hard to really know what the right one(s) is/are. That's one advantage of not spending a ton on individual knives when you are exploring and still on a tight budget. Perhaps aim for certain features that you think might improve it's function over what you have and use currently, rather than hoping you're nailing the grail on the first go. (This almost never happens.) If you don't like two handed opening for example, look at flippers. If your knife doesn't have the right blade shape, look for one that has better blade for your needs. If the clip sucks, look for one with the right clip. If it creates hotspots on your hand, look for better handle shapes. Each knife you buy will be a learning experience about what is right for you. Some you will be sure you'll love and then find out you don't. Some you might not be super in love with at first but the features are right and you end up using it all the time. Buy, try, experiment, learn, repeat.

I will check that out.

I recommend you go with the Kershaw Atmos or Kershaw Fraxion, whether you want a silver or black blade. The good thing about the fraxion is it is a black stonewashed blade which means it will hold up better than a regular black coated blade. Both knives also run on kvt bearings like the high end ZT knives so you will get a smooth manual flipping action like a ZT for only around $30.

I recommend the manual Kershaw flippers on kvt bearings because the spring assisted are known to break the torsion bars if you flip them open a lot. The Atmos and Fraxtion are 2 of the best knives you're gonna get for your money and they are like a ZT just made with cheaper steel and handle material. They are also at 3" or under which your parents shouldn't have a problem with. You can't go wrong with either and they are great knives for around $30.

I had a del8ca for years in the 90s and never felt the need for anything else . . . until I found this website in Oct. of 98. Hundreds of knives later I can still highly recommend the delica.

I had a del8ca for years in the 90s and never felt the need for anything else . . . until I found this website in Oct. of 98. Hundreds of knives later I can still highly recommend the delica.

The Delica is a nice knife. So is it’s big brother, the Endura.

I used to think they looked cheap and were garbage. Then I carried one for awhile. Ergonomics of the series is second to none. The steel in my wife’s Endura 4 is VG-10 and it seems to be pretty good.

I can see why so many members here think highly of the Delica/Endura series.

Back