Really...

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

• Black

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Polished (Aka silver)

Votes: 111 83.5%

• Total voters
PheonixKingZ PheonixKingZ
There are many of us here that like the Utilitac series (myself included). They are well-designed knives at a great price point. You could do a lot worse.

The SAK combined with that Utilitac II offers you an extremely useful bit of kit. You could go for years not needing any other folders.

You are being offered better knives than I owned at age fifteen. Jump on both offers if your parents approve. Save your money for college.

Wow! Thanks man!

I’m not sure when I will get both of them together to talk, but it probably won’t be until the end of this week.

Would it be to greedy to still accept the SAK from Boru13 Boru13 ? Both seem like great knives. :)

Man I love this place, so friendly. :thumbsup:
Nothing greedy about that at all, let me know what your parents say.

Thanks to all you guys!

I really hope they say yes. They may be skeptical though... Example: “Why would someone just give you something, and not expect something in return?” Or something similar.

I can show them where you guys said it, so that will reinforce it. I’ll let you know when I will talk to them, and what they said. (Again, it may be a while, we are busy) :rolleyes:

Thanks to all you guys!

I really hope they say yes. They may be skeptical though... Example: “Why would someone just give you something, and not expect something in return?” Or something similar.

I can show them where you guys said it, so that will reinforce it. I’ll let you know when I will talk to them, and what they said. (Again, it may be a while, we are busy) :rolleyes:

They would be right to be skeptical...they are your parents and their job is to protect you. There are all sorts of "digital" threats to worry about these days, so as a parent myself I wouldn't blame them.

Show them around the site. It's been here for 20+ years, and has created a great community for knife lovers. And like any community where people get to know each other, they help each other out and generosity flourishes. We love to see young people express an interest in knives, as it keeps the community going. So when we gift someone a knife, we are getting something in return...

Thanks to all you guys!

I can show them where you guys said it, so that will reinforce it. I’ll let you know when I will talk to them, and what they said. (Again, it may be a while, we are busy) :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

We are a group of knife collectors and long time users, that are happy to help someone get started the right way in the hobby . Nothing will be asked in return other than you enjoy the knives and act responsibly. The 1st part of that being getting your parents permission. Many of us have knives just sitting around and while we don't always just give them all away, I believe those offering feel you have handled your end of the conversation well.
If you haven't already done so, look around the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge on knife ownership and care here

Thanks to all you guys!

There seems to be a good sense of community not just here on Blade Forums but across the EDC world in general. After all, EDC is about preparedness. Being the person who is prepared often means getting to help out those who aren't. For instance, how often has someone here been the one with a pen, a knife, a flashlight, etc. when somebody else needs one? Helpfulness and responsibility are part of the hobby so why not generosity?

I said it before but I'll say it again. Feel free to share anything I've written. Consider inviting your parents to the forum. They can read this thread for themselves. They can ask their own questions about any aspect of the hobby and get quick answers from people who have real experience. Our membership here includes a pretty wide range of ages including other parents and grandparents too.

There seems to be a good sense of community not just here on Blade Forums but across the EDC world in general. After all, EDC is about preparedness. Being the person who is prepared often means getting to help out those who aren't. For instance, how often has someone here been the one with a pen, a knife, a flashlight, etc. when somebody else needs one? Helpfulness and responsibility are part of the hobby so why not generosity?

I said it before but I'll say it again. Feel free to share anything I've written. Consider inviting your parents to the forum. They can read this thread for themselves. They can ask their own questions about any aspect of the hobby and get quick answers from people who have real experience. Our membership here includes a pretty wide range of ages including other parents and grandparents too.

Adding onto you excellent post...

Not to mention knife users from all aspects of life. Construction, EMT’s, Office workers, Police and Fire, list goes on and on. :)

I get what you mean Chronovore Chronovore .

I carry a NEBO Inspector around with me everywhere I go, and I have been asked many times, so I feel you. (The Inspector is one of the best EDC flashlights IMO. Super thin and light, also has a strong pocket clip) :)

I asked my mom today, and she said YES! (To both the SAK and the Ontario one)

Now the only thing that remains, is them deciding if I will get a clip or to. (Or wear it with a clip)

She was a little skeptical about you guys just giving me knives, but she agreed to it after I told her what you guys said, and how nice/generous you were. :)

I will talk to them both again about the clip on tomorrow! Hoping they say yes to that to. I will bring some of the points mentioned here. :)

Now the only thing that remains, is them deciding if I will get a clip or to. (Or wear it with a clip)

She was a little skeptical about you guys just giving me knives, but she agreed to it after I told her what you guys said, and how nice/generous you were. :)

I will talk to them both again about the clip on tomorrow! Hoping they say yes to that to. I will bring some of the points mentioned here. :)

That's good news!

I already took the time to write out the reasons for a clip in detail for you. You can show them here or just copy and paste that post to an email. If they still have questions, remind them that they can join the forum and ask the community directly.

I’m back. Sorry for the delay. Had to take my wife to work.

So, if I may continue... as much fun as a new cool knife can be, the “right” knife is even better.
It fits your hand, holds an edge, easy to sharpen, and is a joy to use.

The gear I mentioned above (SAK, Buck 112 Ranger, etc.)
has proven its worth over the years. It is practical, reasonably priced, and made by Yanks here in the US (not the SAK).

More importantly, nobody gives it a second thought. Sometimes not even a first one.

When I was your age, having knife was not a big deal. It was commonplace.

Now we have a large segment of the population that feels that a knife is not needed outside the kitchen. If you have a pocket knife, they consider it a danger.

Why do you need need to carry something dangerous? To cause someone harm of course. Crazy, I know. But, they do feel that way. Just the way times going. And, it is getting worse. (If your parents were like that, they would not even consider your desires.)

The knives I suggested are so common place that they just naturally seem to fit into everyday life. No one really bats an eye when they see a SAK and the basic Buck 110/112 knife has been around since 1964. (It too, caused some fear when first introduced. Cities and counties all over banned “Buck” knives. The reason we have the Ranger 112 is because of a ban on the 110 Folding Hunter on the USS Ranger.)

Many of the features that make a cool knife “cool” can trigger a fear response from these type of people. The black finish on a blade is common for this. An odd blade shape can do it too. Sorry, Spyderco, this means you. Most people have never seen a Spyderco knife, much less heard of one. But, they seem to know what they are afraid of. Nuts.

Also, many things that make a knife “cool” also make it “tactical”. If you want to have some fun and learn at the same time, look at the running threads about tactical knives.

So, if your parents and adults like me are not telling you what you want to hear, it’s because we are speaking with experience and wisdom. Not because we want to spoil your fun. Just saying.

Rant off.

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled program.

I still want to know what you end up with.

I agree with every single word of your post. However despite how much I have matured with age (one hopes!) I still can't see myself as a teenager following my own advice that I would give today, the realisation does serve to somewhat offset the guilt over just how stupid my mistakes of yesteryear were. :D

Our OP is of course already at a better level of maturity than I was. I didn't ask and kept my knives well hidden from my parents. My mother's uncle had been stabbed by a young thug who was robbing his store, the kid picked up a pocket knife from the counter, opened it and stabbed him in the stomach. She was very anti pocket knives as a result. Understandable if not altogether logical.

Last edited:
I agree with every single word of your post. However despite how much I have matured with age (one hopes!) I still can't see myself as a teenager following my own advice that I would give today, the realisation does serve to somewhat offset the guilt over just how stupid my mistakes of yesteryear were. :D

Our OP is of course already at a better level of maturity than I was. I didn't ask and kept my knives well hidden from my parents. My mother's uncle had been stabbed by a young thug who was robbing his store, the kid picked up a pocket knife from the counter, opened it and stabbed him in the stomach. She was very anti pocket knives as a result. Understandable if not altogether logical.
At age fifteen I would not have listened to most of the advice given above. Not sure I would have at twenty or maybe even twenty-five.

Wait on the other stuff for a while. Use the knives you are being given for at least six months. Then, evaluate if you really need the other knives.

There is a special kind of satisfaction from using the same few knives over and over. That is why most of us here just use a few even though we may own dozens or hundreds.

My main go to pocket knife is not my favorite but, it works better for me than any other knife I own (a Benchmade full size Griptilian).

If you find your money is burning a hole in your pocket, consider something to maintain your knives. I would suggest Spyderco’s Sharpmaker. A little pricey but worth every cent.

Last edited:
About the sharp maker, how exactly does that thing work? Up until this point, I have been using a cheap handheld knife sharper. (Like that old ones, not a wet sone, but the ones that have the V shape)

About the sharp maker, how exactly does that thing work? Up until this point, I have been using a cheap handheld knife sharper. (Like that old ones, not a wet sone, but the ones that have the V shape)

Go to you tube and search for the Sharpmaker. You will find a really cheesy video done by Spyderco.
It will explain everything. It is so simple that even a Bonehead like me can do it.

A DVD copy of the video comes as part of the Sharpmaker kit.

Back