Really...

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

• Black

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Polished (Aka silver)

Votes: 111 83.5%

• Total voters
The more the merrier! I always carry 3 knives minimum, plus my money clip has a small blade and my vehicle has a few as well! Two is one and one is none! Glad to see you are enjoying the blades and am happy that your parents agreed.and.trust you with them! Stay safe.and keep em sharp!

James

I have to ask, what made you decide to carry both knives?

Don’t get me wrong, I am not criticizing you for it. Considering the knives themselves, it seems to be a good idea. You have the SAK with all of its tools for light duty task and the Utilitac for everything else.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Just a lot of people on here carry both a SAK and folder, for the reasons mentioned above, and in this thread. It just seems like a perfect combo. :)

(Also, all the tools on the SAK have really come in handy so far. :D)

As to knife lube there is one money saving option that will get you a bottle big enough to last a lifetime. I was researching what to use for pivot lube a while back and mineral oil kept being recommended. It's food safe and doesn't go rancid like other food safe oils can. Go to the pharmacy department and look for mineral oil enemas, you can get 4.5 ounces for about $3.50 ish most places. You will need a smaller bottle of some kind with a fine tip to put it into to more easily lube pivots but in a pinch just use a toothpick dipped in mineral oil as a way to get a drop where you need it. One word of caution when you get it home and start to put it in a smaller container dont squeeze it through the long tube already attached to the bottle as it is filled with wax to prevent spillage when used for it's original purpose, just unscrew the applicator tip and pour it into a dropper bottle etc.

As to knife lube there is one money saving option that will get you a bottle big enough to last a lifetime. I was researching what to use for pivot lube a while back and mineral oil kept being recommended. It's food safe and doesn't go rancid like other food safe oils can. Go to the pharmacy department and look for mineral oil enemas, you can get 4.5 ounces for about $3.50 ish most places. You will need a smaller bottle of some kind with a fine tip to put it into to more easily lube pivots but in a pinch just use a toothpick dipped in mineral oil as a way to get a drop where you need it. One word of caution when you get it home and start to put it in a smaller container dont squeeze it through the long tube already attached to the bottle as it is filled with wax to prevent spillage when used for it's original purpose, just unscrew the applicator tip and pour it into a dropper bottle etc.
Ok good, so mineral oil is safe? I was contemplating that, because my parents said I could have the big bottle of oil, because they weren’t using it for anything else.

I used a syringe (without the needle) to lube my OldTimer, when I was clearing that up. :thumbsup:

I ordered an oil applicator with needle and cap off the bay for about a buck and a half. It works very well

I ordered an oil applicator with needle and cap off the bay for about a buck and a half. It works very well

I have some too. But be careful! Always put the cap on the needle before you put the bottle back down on your bench or table or you can get yourself hurt!

Does the needle produce enough liquid? I would imagine that would be a lot more accurate.

(P.S. What is the other little tool for on my SAK? Not the bottle opener, the other one)

Does the needle produce enough liquid? I would imagine that would be a lot more accurate.

(P.S. What is the other little tool for on my SAK? Not the bottle opener, the other one)
It’ll work fine, you don’t need much more than a drop of oil.

Your Pioneer tools are a cap lifter, can opener (both obviously with screw drivers), and the awl.

I have some too. But be careful! Always put the cap on the needle before you put the bottle back down on your bench or table or you can get yourself hurt!
Yours must be sharper than mine.

I have a total of four.
One for Tuf-Glide from Sentry Solutions. Another for Benchmade’s Blue Lube.
Two more came filled with Tek-Lube lubricants. One of those has an oil and silicone mix.

Blue Lube is what I use most often.

Last edited:
...(P.S. What is the other little tool for on my SAK? Not the bottle opener, the other one)

There is a guy on you tube that does videos about SAKs and their features. He also does maintenance, tricks and tips.

WARNING!: If you watch him, you will want more SAKs.

The guy’s name is Felix Immler.
Check it out.

You can find it outside Kentucky. Some Kroger stores carry it, actually found it in little Corinth, MS of all places, so I bet it would be in bigger cities.

They may not stock a ton of it, but it's possible to find! It is pretty tasty (I've only had original though!)

There’s some good local restaurants in the little town of Corinth

There’s some good local restaurants in the little town of Corinth

Anyone going to Corinth needs to stop at the white trolley and get a hamburger (slug burger). Even if you don't like it, at least you tried it!

And Abe's has good breakfast, or the Pit Stop if you want a good cats eye biscuit.

Local restaurants in Booneville usually aren't that great though... Ha!

Anyone going to Corinth needs to stop at the white trolley and get a hamburger (slug burger). Even if you don't like it, at least you tried it!

And Abe's has good breakfast, or the Pit Stop if you want a good cats eye biscuit.

Local restaurants in Booneville usually aren't that great though... Ha!
I wanna say we ate at Crossroads and Russels Beefhouse. Those are the two I remember

I wanna say we ate at Crossroads and Russels Beefhouse. Those are the two I remember

Good old Russell's! Russell opened up a new place downtown called Smith's. It's a little more upscale but not outrageously so. Has a bar upstairs.

I need to go eat there again one of these days. I'll have to check and see if they're take out only. Haven't talked to Russell in a while, would be nice to catch up.

Ok good, so mineral oil is safe? I was contemplating that, because my parents said I could have the big bottle of oil, because they weren’t using it for anything else.

I used a syringe (without the needle) to lube my OldTimer, when I was clearing that up. :thumbsup:

The mineral oil sold in the laxative section of the drug store is a mainstay for EDC maintenance. It's cheap, non-toxic, and works. I mostly use it as a surface protectant. Whenever I clean a blade or internal metal surfaces with alcohol, I always follow up by wiping them down with a very light coat of this mineral oil. It can also be applied sparingly to G10 or Micarta after cleaning.

If you've ever cleaned G10 with isopropyl alcohol, you may notice the surface looking dry. Use a Q-tip to dab little spots of that mineral oil here and there across the dry surface. Then vigorously rub it in with a cotton ball or cleaning patch. Get those little dabs spread out uniformly across the surface. Let the heat of friction help you to work it in. With a little practice, you can get your G10 looking fantastic without any tacky residual oil feel.

That mineral oil is okay as a lubricant. However, I do prefer Lubriplate FMO 350-AW for this purpose. It works very well and is one of the least expensive non-toxic specialty oils. (It costs like 90% less than KPL by volume.) The best way to buy it is from Lubrikit.com. Just know that they primarily sell it is a gun lube so there is a little gun in the logo. I always transfer it to an oil bottle with a needle applicator. Empty oil bottles with needle applicators are cheap on America's largest online retailer.

If you buy your mineral oil without the enema kit, three or four bucks will buy you a pint, which might last the rest of your life. I filled a little 2 oz. bottle with the needle about two years ago. It is half gone.

Whet stone (speller correctly?) arrived today Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery ! Thanks a lot!

I need to do research on how to properly sharpen, I don’t want to ruin any of my knives.

That was quick! Glad it made it, hopefully in one piece. Its more of a “pocket whetstone” for field touchups. The longer than normal length is good tho. :)

Back