Reate and Sharp By Design - Evo Typhoon Collaboration

Here is a quick video review I did of the 3 prototypes of the new Evo Typhoon due out in April. I only had time for one take, so I failed to mention that it will have ceramic bearings. I did add some slides showing the full-length sizing and blade length/knife weight.

Overall, all three were top notch and met every expectation I had. I have ordered 2 of these and now cannot wait until they come in April.

Last edited:
Thank you for that! I look forward to seeing it tonight. Great cover photo as well. I did not know how to make my video cover go to a particular frame, so it was pot luck for me. But I do have to say that I am extremely excited about the Evo's arriving in April.

I wish I could speak like Anthony Hopkins when I say "the Evo has never been your strength...you are your own strength". BladeHQ sold out of these immediately yesterday. I have a tanto milled handle coming. I am pretty certain that its going to be a keeper. If it is not, I'll pm ya. Keep watching the secondary as well. I should have waited in selling mine. I expect they will go for the BladeHQ price now.

I initially ordered it with Brian directly for the fantastic $299 price during thanksgiving, tried to ask Brian some questions on instagram and he was being rude and was making fun of people. I decided to cancel the order and Brian was kind enough to refund me.
I know im missing out on a fantastic knife of the year at a great deal, but I decided to not support a maker who doesn’t respect his customer. It’s no big deal for him since his product is so popular and is in a privileged position to be able to choose his own customers.

I initially ordered it with Brian directly for the fantastic $299 price during thanksgiving, tried to ask Brian some questions on instagram and he was being rude and was making fun of people. I decided to cancel the order and Brian was kind enough to refund me.
I know im missing out on a fantastic knife of the year at a great deal, but I decided to not support a maker who doesn’t respect his customer. It’s no big deal for him since his product is so popular and is in a privileged position to be able to choose his own customers.

I don't blame you. That's no way to treat customers.

I go by this old saying for my business - "It can take years to get a customer - but only a second to lose them"

Of course some people will always be impossible to satisfy and you can't deal with them. I had one guy who purchased three Reate knives over about 6 months (a JACK was one) and claimed there was rust on the blades every time. I've never seen rust on a Reate knife and I've examined hundreds of them (guys asking for centered blades etc is common) and I own quite a few myself. He couldn't produce any photos of the rust. He returned the JACK to me and there was no evidence of rust and we examined it under magnification and in the sunlight. We held onto it for several weeks to see if rust developed - still no rust. I never heard from him again but he sent a message to Reate saying "he will never buy their knives again".

Listen to the knife nuts podcast. You will learn more about who Brian is. He's actually pretty nice and I've talked to him a few times. But some people get put off by him. Same like Greg Medford. Etc. He's exceptionally great maker regardless.

https://knifenutspodcast.com/podcast?offset=1495587454133

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=a...vZGNhc3Q_Zm9ybWF0PVJTUw&ep=5&at=1557672819151

I'd like to hear the details of what he was making fun of.

Of course some people will always be impossible to satisfy and you can't deal with them. I had one guy who purchased three Reate knives over about 6 months (a JACK was one) and claimed there was rust on the blades every time. I've never seen rust on a Reate knife and I've examined hundreds of them (guys asking for centered blades etc is common) and I own quite a few myself. He couldn't produce any photos of the rust. He returned the JACK to me and there was no evidence of rust and we examined it under magnification and in the sunlight. We held onto it for several weeks to see if rust developed - still no rust. I never heard from him again but he sent a message to Reate saying "he will never buy their knives again".
that's insane.

A lot of the people he was making fun about were other knife enthusiasts that were his friends or close acquaintances. You missed a phenomenal knife for a complete misunderstanding.

My impression from reading the various IG posts and banter was that it was friendly banter with a heavy dose of sarcasm. I never thought it to be ill-willed.

Regardless, I got in on the Black Friday deal, selected the drop point with CF inlays and have been amazed at the quality and attention to detail on these. It quickly became one of my favorite folders to carry and use.

I have the upmost respect for Brian — my 17-month old’s foot caught onto the clip from my Micro-Typhoon and lifted it out of my pocket. It fell on tile and chipped the tip of the blade pretty badly. I emailed Brian to seek his advisement and he said he’d take a look at it. Took less than two weeks — he re-sharpened the blade (looks like new) and gave me an extra clip (one that was polished) that had rounded edges (the stock clip was a bit sharp around the edges) at no charge. I really wasn’t expecting much, but was surprised at how well Brian took care of his customer. Just wanted to share this.

The internet doesn’t forget. This is another example of Brian’s character. Not a smart move threatening people via text.

The internet doesn’t forget. This is another example of Brian’s character. Not a smart move threatening people via text.

That’s an extremely bad move for a retailer. If David at Reate sees this he may possibly refuse to deal with him again. It’s a business damaging issue threatening customers....

That’s an extremely bad move for a retailer. If David at Reate sees this he may possibly refuse to deal with him again. It’s a business damaging issue threatening customers....

David and the rest of the internet knows about this incident. "The internet never forgets" -- but you all have apparently forgotten that this blew over years ago.

David and the rest of the internet knows about this incident. "The internet never forgets" -- but you all have apparently forgotten that this blew over years ago.

Jesus - No one on the planet can keep up with every single thing on the internet or continues to follow it. I’d never heard of this issue before.

Plus even if every one involved is now hugging and kissing - threatening your customers - even just once - doesn’t make a good business image.

Jesus - No one on the planet can keep up with every single thing on the internet or continues to follow it. I’d never heard of this issue before.

Plus even if every one involved is now hugging and kissing - threatening your customers - even just once - doesn’t make a good business image.
you're right, not everyone follows this stuff. because conflicts between makers and social media influencers happen all the time. it's a non-story that blows over before people even hear about it. so why does this have to get brought up now when everyone's moved on?

the knife industry is full of crooks on both sides. brian may not have the best bedside manner but he'll never screw you over.

Back