Reate Bushido?

Does anybody have the Reate Bushido? I just ordered one and it looks like it could be one of the best front flippers to this point if not the best. I say this because of the front flipper design along with the overall design. This may be the only front flipper that I've seen available in a black M390 blade with carbon fiber handles with a black Titanium pocket clip. I've had my eye on the We Black Void Opus and never heard of this knife until now. After seeing this it made me lose all interest in the Black Void Opus and that is saying a lot with We's quality reputation.

By the way, this will be my first Reate and I've heard nothing but good things about the company. This also seems to be priced a lot more competitively than most other Reate models.

yep great knife and selling like hot cakes. The front -top flipper design is so easy a three toed sloth could flip this knife.

Reate made a slight screw up with their production on two of the carbon fiber models -
Only 47 Carbon Fiber with stonewashed blades were made by Reate.
Only 34 Carbon Fiber with hand rubbed satin blades were made by Reate.

Almost rarer than hens teeth - if you get one of those you're lucky.

yep great knife and selling like hot cakes. The front -top flipper design is so easy a three toed sloth could flip this knife.

Reate made a slight screw up with their production on two of the carbon fiber models -
Only 47 Carbon Fiber with stonewashed blades were made by Reate.
Only 34 Carbon Fiber with hand rubbed satin blades were made by Reate.

Almost rarer than hens teeth - if you get one of those you're lucky.

So the only 47 stonewashed's and 34 satin's are screwed up? or the first batch is mostly screwed up and only 47 and 34 ones are available? If it's the former, then it's only appealing to collectors, not average users, imo.

only 47 and 34 of those were available. The whole run - of all models - is pretty well sold out now anyway.

And why not the original instead of the copy ?

sanjowootz06022015.jpg

Guy Poggetti's Sanjo
http://www.sparus.fr/pageweb/pagecp.htm

It is indeed always difficult not to see similarities between two products inspired by the traditional spirit but in this case we can have serious doubts, especially when we know that Reate had access to the prototype of the Sanjo Edition G and surely had the opportunity to see the custom version of the Sanjo with counter-edged blade.
They seem to have found an agreement that is the main thing.
Wait & see... ;)

And why not the original instead of the copy ?

sanjowootz06022015.jpg

Guy Poggetti's Sanjo
http://www.sparus.fr/pageweb/pagecp.htm

For someone trying to defend that argument you're not doing a good job.
First you posted the wrong knife. That's not the Sanjo. Blade shape is wrong.
Next the first modern folder to use this configuration blade and handle is the Boker Kwaiken and neither Boker nor the designer Lucas Burnley kicked up up a fuss about the Reate knife and I'm betting that Guy Poggetti and Gudy van Poppel are not paying royalties to them. And that is because the design as David Deng rightly points out, is taken from a traditional Japanese fighting knife.

The traditional Japanese fighting knife all these knives are based on.

Boker Kwaiken

Reate Bushido

Sanjo

Last edited:
I am not trying to defend anything unlike you. And the fact that Reate has a prototype in his possession, that he justifies himself and comes to an agreement implies de facto that he is not frank about the necklace and is not comfortable with the situation.
Then free to you to support cheaters.
Have a good end of day :)

I am not trying to defend anything unlike you. And the fact that Reate has a prototype in his possession, that he justifies himself and comes to an agreement implies de facto that he is not frank about the necklace and is not comfortable with the situation.
Then free to you to support cheaters.
Have a good end of day :)

Of course David is not comfortable with the situation, even when you're right and someone comes up and point fingers at your face, you're certainly going to have some sort of response. So saying that someone is acting strangely or uncomfortable under their skin is not an a valid argument to accuse them. Now, I'm not saying that he is right, or wrong, we simply have to little info on what is happening, people are still jabbing and making one sided claims, so imo, what we should do is demand answers, not accusing people.
I'm not an American, I'm guessing that most members of BF is Americans, I believe the phrase is "innocent until proven guilty".

Agreed. I also had a customer ask if Reate paid hush money for this to go away and David Deng said definitely not and that he did not steal the design.

FFS - if the makers and designers have settled this between themselves that’s the end of it. No further discussion needed.

It's disappointing to see that there's controversy over this knife. When I ordered it I had no idea about the Sanjo or the designer. By the name and looks it just reminded me of a Japanese inspired knife with a front/top flipper. I understand why Guy Poggetti would be upset if he planned on making a deal with Reate and submitted a prototype just for them to release this and get nothing out of it.

However, nobody seems to know all the details and the design is clearly a Japanese inspired design more than anything. I'm really curious to see what Guy Poggetti has to say about this. If he's come to an agreement and/or don't have a problem with the Reate Bushido I really don't see why anybody else should have a problem.

I just received my knife and I'm very impressed. Fit and finish are spot on, blade is centered, lock up is tight, action is smooth and snappy, detent seems right on and it came sharp out of the box. This has to be one of the easiest if not the easiest front flipper to deploy. This honestly puts my Kizer Feist CF and small Artisan Centauri CF to shame and is much better in every aspect. I had thought they seemed like great front flippers for around $175 but this Bushido seems like a much better value for only about $65-$75 more.

Last edited:
I just received my knife and I'm very impressed. Fit and finish are spot on, blade is centered, lock up is tight, action is smooth and snappy, detent seems right on and it came sharp out of the box. This has to be one of the easiest if not the easiest front flipper to deploy. This honestly puts my Kizer Feist CF and small Artisan Centauri CF to shame and is much better in every aspect. I had thought they seemed like great front flippers for around $175 but this Bushido seems like a much better value for only about $65-$75 more.

I am impressed too.
The Bushido is more of a top flipper and should appeal to a much wider audience since it is vastly easier to open. I gave up on the Feist (although I have one in my collection from 2017) as it takes some mastering. However, many newer front flipper designs have since come along, like the CIVIVI Mckenna, which are also easy to open. The Bushido is in a high end class like all Reate knives and nothing less should be expected from them. If you want a small, light and easy to open top/front flipper with a top quality build and M390 blade, this is one to get.

Last edited:
My latest small manual flipper is another front flipper: Reate Bushido with a near 3" blade of Stonewashed M390, titanium liners and CF weighing 2.6 ounces. One of the best front flipper opening mechanisms. Love it. Very smooth and easy opening. Better than my Pena X Series Trapper also made by Reate because the tab protrudes out further but is still low profile. The reason front flippers are my favorite opening mechanism now is that very little protrudes from the side or top like traditional flipper tabs and thus takes less space in the pocket. Also, there’s nothing on the blade like a hole or thumb studs getting in the way of cutting or anything else. The Reate Bushido comes in 5 varieties: SW/CF, Satin/CF, SW/Burlap Micarta, Satin/Burlap Micarta and Black Blade & Hardware/CF going for $235-$242. I’m hoping we’ll see more such small front flippers from Reate with different blade shapes like Sheepsfoot, Reverse Tanto, etc.

XTFiQPl.jpg

iOYU5Xa.jpg

ECeXprM.jpg

V2emxyf.jpg

9Dn6TpF.jpg

lMfoIvu.jpg

FYbNdn1.jpg

Last edited:
I like the black one....

AC7136-AC-8-DB9-49-D1-BE16-D41-F5-DE275-F6.jpg
That's the exact one I have too. I normally don't care too much for black coated blades but with this knife it looked too nice to pass up, especially with the black hardware and pocket clip. It actually looks like the coating on the blade should hold up pretty well but this knife won't be getting any hard use anyway.

This has instantly became one of my favorite knives in my collection. It's on the higher end for what I'm usually willing to spend but I really feel it's worth every penny. I really can't say that for some of the other purchases I've made in this price range.

That's the exact one I have too. I normally don't care too much for black coated blades but with this knife it looked too nice to pass up, especially with the black hardware and pocket clip. It actually looks like the coating on the blade should hold up pretty well but this knife won't be getting any hard use anyway.

This has instantly became one of my favorite knives in my collection. It's on the higher end for what I'm usually willing to spend but I really feel it's worth every penny. I really can't say that for some of the other purchases I've made in this price range.

The top flipper makes it for me. I haven't cut much with the black one yet to see how the coating holds up.
You mentioned the Black Void Opus in your opening post. It will be interesting to see if that will top the Bushido. I know a number of my customers have said they already don't like the chisel grind on the BVO blade - and some said they love it. I wish Justin had chosen a shorter name for it though......

The Chisel Grind on the WE Black Void Opus kills it for me.

Hopefully, we’ll see more front flippers from Reate like the Bushido but with different blade shapes. It’ll be like the Pena X Series front flippers Trapper, Zulu and Swayback expertly made by Reate.

The top flipper makes it for me. I haven't cut much with the black one yet to see how the coating holds up.
You mentioned the Black Void Opus in your opening post. It will be interesting to see if that will top the Bushido. I know a number of my customers have said they already don't like the chisel grind on the BVO blade - and some said they love it. I wish Justin had chosen a shorter name for it though......
I mentioned the Black Void Opus because it was the next high quality front flipper that I knew was coming out sometime this year. I planned on checking it out and probably still will but the Bushido has made me lose interest in it for now. I had no idea about the Bushido and it caught me by complete surprise.

I don't know if I can justify buying another high quality front flipper this year especially when I like the design of the Bushido much more. I've also realized that Reate is a step above We in overall quality. It's not a knock on We either. We makes great quality knives. I just feel like Reate takes quality to another level but then again the pricing is typically higher.

I'm really curious to know what the pricing is going to be on the Black Void Opus. If it's its under or around $200 I'll be interested but if it's closer to $300 I'll probably pass.

My latest small manual flipper is another front flipper: Reate Bushido with a near 3" blade of Stonewashed M390, titanium liners and CF weighing 2.6 ounces. One of the best front flipper opening mechanisms. Love it. Very smooth and easy opening. Better than my Pena X Series Trapper also made by Reate because the tab protrudes out further but is still low profile. The reason front flippers are my favorite opening mechanism now is that very little protrudes from the side or top like traditional flipper tabs and thus takes less space in the pocket. Also, there’s nothing on the blade like a hole or thumb studs getting in the way of cutting or anything else. The Reate Bushido comes in 5 varieties: SW/CF, Satin/CF, SW/Burlap Micarta, Satin/Burlap Micarta and Black Blade & Hardware/CF going for $235-$242. I’m hoping we’ll see more such small front flippers from Reate with different blade shapes like Sheepsfoot, Reverse Tanto, etc.

XTFiQPl.jpg

I forgot to say nice pics Ramzar :thumbsup:

Back