Reate Forum Knife...Style Poll

Discussion in 'Reate Knives' started by Hackenslash, Sep 16, 2015.

Which style for the Reate BF Knife?

1. District 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hills

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Horizon

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Hey everyone, there's been some discussion in another thread about commissioning Reate to make a Blade Forums edition knife. There's been a fair amount of interest, and Reate has confirmed they can work on an order of 120 units so I thought I'd take this to the next step; brainstorming the forum knife! I don't think we have a knife designer in our pockets and in the interest of simplicity it's been generally decided to work around an existing in-house Reate design (i'm assuming the Mah, Yamin, etc. designs will be off the table). That being the case, there are three basic current Reate designs that we could consider. Cast your vote and lets see if we have one style that takes precedence. Please discuss and add comments. We'll follow up with other design choices as we move along. Thanks!

2. OmarShablotnik

OmarShablotnik

Apr 21, 2015
    Whatever the handle and blade shapes work out to be in terms of "style" - I'd like to see it have both a flipper and secondary deployment (dual thumb studs or whatever.) That's why I voted District 9 above, but it's based on multiple deployment rather than shape or feel otherwise.

3. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    I wouldn't mind some version of the Horizon. I like bigger knives. I would keep the materials on the lower end of the spectrum rather than too exotic, so that more people can afford it.

4. mcg4248

mcg4248

Nov 21, 2012
    I also voted district 9. I went that way because the horizons have already seen some sprucing up, and the hills doesn't really appeal to me. I know that Reate just did a re-release of the district 9, but I would like to see something a little different in terms of materials an appearance. Perhaps a wharncliffe blade. That's my two cents.

5. korn_2956

korn_2956

Aug 19, 2014
    what about a hills with a wharncliffe or insingo type blade shape in m390. I was typing this and looked up at your post mcg4248 and saw the wharncliffe comment. 2 votes for wharncliffes.

6. JungleJim65

JungleJim65 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    How about the new model that David was working on? [​IMG]

7. SadSappySucker

SadSappySucker

Jul 20, 2014
    I really like that new blade except for the choil. They get in the way more then they help me. I REALLY hope we see a wharncliffe blade though.
    I'll go really far out and suggest that they make a horizon with a wharncliffe front flipper.

8. mcg4248

mcg4248

Nov 21, 2012
    Looks a little too bland to me, but again, that's IMO. The handle reminds me of the horizon series and the blade shape/blade stops don't appeal to me either. I'd really like to see a wharny to be honest, I think that would be wicked cool and definitely different seeing how Reate hasn't done a wharncliffe yet and no better foray into that shape than for a BF custom blade!

9. loonybin

loonybin Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 1999
    I would be happy with any of them as long as they make the pocket clip ambidextrous!!!

10. DesertPyr

DesertPyr

Aug 11, 2015
    How about a blade like the horizon b but with more of a sheep's foot profile maybe hollow grind. I like the ambidextrous pocket clip idea too. I'm a righty but my son is a lefty and it would be a bonus to be able to 'share' the knife with him. Really, whatever we come up with, David's skill will get it to another level.

11. Hackenslash

Jul 25, 2014
    Well, it looks like the support for a Horizon style is fairly overwhelming. I'm a little concerned that only 20 people have voted in the poll; that indicates there may not be enough interest to sell 120 units.

12. Redhills

Redhills

Aug 30, 2015
    Visibility of this poll is low. Even though I expressed interest long ago I only recently discovered this poll. I think it is a problem with the site as much as anything. With this many sub- and (sub-sub-...) forums it is hard to stay on top of everything. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for improvement.

13. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Sure it is, one person just has to buy 101 of them ;)

14. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Plus how many of the 24 would actually prepay for the knife. There's a big gap between even a solid 24 and a commitment of 120. I'm sure that 120 MOQ requires funding of about $20,000 depending on the model.

15. Hackenslash

Jul 25, 2014
    Yeah, I don't really have 20 Big laying around to fund a knife project right now, lol. Maybe our best chance would be to try and find a Reate retailer to work with?

16. SadSappySucker

SadSappySucker

Jul 20, 2014
    You could always try spreading the word in general. This doesn't seem to be a very "high traffic" area of bladeforums.
    Going with the dealer idea, I'd try GPknives. I know they have stocked Reate for quite a while now. I'm sure there are others, but GP was just the first to come to mind.

17. noblesse

noblesse

Apr 1, 2014
    You should contact AJ Singh of tacticalelements.com, I'm sure he'll be down for a project. He stocks and sells Reates.

18. OmarShablotnik

OmarShablotnik

Apr 21, 2015
    I like that *a lot.*