Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

The original price was $350. That was discounted to $320. Once it hit US distributors it was further discounted to around $280 or so.

It's no wonder ZT implemented map pricing, as price discrepencies do cause a lot of contention.

if these come down that low, then I may have to give one a try. Seems a certain HQ has these for 399, so not sure how much of a reality that will be

I send my sincere apology that I can not reply everyone these days.Thank you all of you guys' attention and suggestions as well. Then go back to the price problem.We repeat that the price it is our most resonable price. Nothing we can cut down the price with this high-end series products.Also it is not the same as Horizon-A. It is really our most resonable price. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Update the pictures of high-end series Horizon-D (TI&CF)

DSC_5795_zpsw0ag3hga.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_5759_zps2ys6mtkk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_5785_zpsivrfk0a0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I send my sincere apology that I can not reply everyone these days.Thank you all of you guys' attention and suggestions as well. Then go back to the price problem.We repeat that the price it is our most resonable price. Nothing we can cut down the price with this high-end series products.Also it is not the same as Horizon-A. It is really our most resonable price. Thank you very much.

PURPLEDC
PURPLEDC is offline Registered User

I like both of them. But i have to make one criticism and others may or may not disagree. I love the fact that you have added Titanium hardware but I really dont care for the "timascus" like pattern. To me materials that are made to only look like other materials is something you would expect to see i lower end knives. Like plastic made to look like carbon fiber or etched patterns on blades to make them look like damascus when they really arent. These are obviously meant to be a higher tier version of existing models but If I were to buy one I would much rather see the hardware available in a range of colors to suit the individuals tastes rather than a pattern that is used to make the material look like something its not. Hell you could even sell the knives with standard steel hardware but sell all the titanium stuff as a way to personalize your knife and order a "dress up" kit. But if the only option for these is to have titanium parts made to look like timascus I would have to pass on them. Apologies, it to me just doesnt jive with high end knives.

Sticking to the topic and not attacking anyone for grammar, or for simply sharing their views, I again ask the following. Why can the OP not address the FACT that faux timascus was used on the "high end" $400 knife ? And address several comments that the Pivot clearly shows the use of faux timascus to have been a poor choice, it does not match up with the clip and again is faux. My comments are based on several points, the OP has not responded to.
First the use of faux materials, second telling everyone that the cost is the best they can do, and lastly charging $400 for the knife.
The only reason to produce these or any knife in China is to reduce cost, without any question major cost saving occur when producing products in ANY country that does not have to follow labor laws of any sort. Unlike almost all non-Chinese Mfg., the physical plant and the process are never shown, thus no one except MAYBE the OP knows of the working conditions or the quality control standards. With that as fact, cost should be lower than any non-Chinese competitor. Combine this with using faux parts and the overall cost of production should be far below the $400 mark. I can not see an extra $200 in cost being associated with this knife. I am not saying that craftsmanship is lacking, I am saying that based on production cost and materials used, price gouging is taking place. Also unlike other MFG., the OP uses Bladeforums General discussion to release products and run press conferences. I see no other MFG. IMO abusing the forum in this manner. Even as questions remain unanswered regarding cost and materials used, the OP post more photos and another round of press releases. With faux parts, cheaper labor, free advertising, and press, $400 is a reach at best. That is here I have an issue. The price is simply too high based on all the points above. Clearly the knives are liked by their owners, and that must mean they are of quality, it's the price point that I question. Thanks

Perhaps Blade Forums should sponsor a workshop on pronoun reference.

Perhaps some need a reminder on how to behave in the General forum. These types of comments serve one purpose which has nothing to do with the thread topic.

My kershaw launch 1 with the US flag on it is riding in my pocket. High quality auto, cpm 154, and EXCEPTIONAL fit and finish for sub 100.

The Launches are fine knives, so is the new Kershaw Link. I applaud what Kershaw has been able to do to keep the price down on US manufactured blades...but...I hope you don't think that the profits from your purchase of a US made Kershaw doesn't help support their manufacture of more knives overseas?

The problem with moral stands is that you think you're drawing a line but unless you chose to live in a box, that's no longer possible in the world.

Back to Reate, the knife has taken so much unreasonable flak in this thread, I think I might just go out and buy one :cool:

Knifemaker sponsored? This is the General forum, not sponsored by any brand. Reate needs to follow Kizer and get their own forum here. Objectively, As long as I still can buy American made knives I won't buy any knife made overseas. This includes really good knives imported by Spyderco, Buck or Kershaw as well as the recent offerings from Reate and Kizer. That is my prerogative and I don't mind doing it and talking about it. I'm not xenophobic or sinophobic, just tired of sending business off shore.

BTW, you listed, "The only Sarenmu I held felt like junk. I won't support a knife company from China regardless of the value or quality which is very much a crap shoot anyway." twice.

Cool, I appreciate those sentiments (buy American etc etc). Some though take it too far and get into trolling territory and get away with it for some reason.

When I said knifemaker sponsored, I was not being clear. I meant that the knifemaker (who has proper membership) opened a thread in good faith to discuss KNIVES. I am confident that you are smart enough to figure that out from here on out.

BTW, as I stated, it was just a small sampling from his post history. Sorry that I did one twice, it was a lot of work for what it is.

Last edited:
Why can the OP not address the FACT that faux timascus was used on the "high end" $400 knife ? And address several comments that the Pivot clearly shows the use of faux timascus to have been a poor choice, it does not match up with the clip and again is faux. My comments are based on several points, the OP has not responded to.

What knife designer/manufacturer would answer to design choices and pricing? Try asking Sal Glesser or Rick Hinderer the same questions about one of their knives. The cross-examination of Reate has gotten a little ridiculous. I hate the timascus-look too, but rather than hold David's feet to the fire to justify a design choice, just re-anodize to suit yourself.

I can understand your concerns about the conditions of the Reate manufacturing facility, and I honestly don't know what to do about it. There must be some way to investigate to insure the knives aren't produced in a sweat shop environment? Does anyone have any insight into how this might be done?

As I said in another thread, the only things that matter to me in considering a knife purchase are quality and price. (Obviously I need to add suitability to that list as well.) So how do Reate knives stack up in those areas? Seems to me the quality is there. I've pretty much read through this entire thread and so far, I haven't heard anyone say that Reate knives are garbage. And as the only thing I consider when I buy a knife is the knife itself, I'd have no problem buying a Reate if the other factors were there. To me, however, a knife REALLY has to be special for me to be willing to pony up more than, say, $150 to $200. When I get up into the $400 range, I'm looking at knives that win industry awards for manufacturing quality . . . knives like, you know, the Sebenza for example. Then there's the issue of suitability. So far, Reate hasn't made a knife I'd be willing to EDC. Now if they get to the point of producing a lightweight EDC with roughly a 3" blade, a 4" handle, a weight of under 4 ounces and a price south of $200, I'd definitely be in the market for one. Until then, I'll remain an interested bystander.

The only reason to produce these or any knife in China is to reduce cost, without any question major cost saving occur when producing products in ANY country that does not have to follow labor laws of any sort. Unlike almost all non-Chinese Mfg., the physical plant and the process are never shown, thus no one except MAYBE the OP knows of the working conditions or the quality control standards. With that as fact...

The only reason to produce in China is to reduce cost? What happens if you're Chinese and live in China and want to start a Chinese knife company?

What do you know about Reate, about how many employees it has, about what it pays its employees, about what the standards are, about what their material costs are, about what their manufacturing costs are, etc. etc. etc.?

And why is it ok for people like you to just make such insulting, uninformed comments about an entire country?

What knife designer/manufacturer would answer to design choices and pricing? Try asking Sal Glesser or Rick Hinderer the same questions about one of their knives. The cross-examination of Reate has gotten a little ridiculous. I hate the timascus-look too, but rather than hold David's feet to the fire to justify a design choice, just re-anodize to suit yourself.

I can understand your concerns about the conditions of the Reate manufacturing facility, and I honestly don't know what to do about it. There must be some way to investigate to insure the knives aren't produced in a sweat shop environment? Does anyone have any insight into how this might be done?

no one should have to "re-anodize" ANY knife, certainly not a $400 one. Fake is fake and that is what the materials used are. As for other MFG'ers., they have all been asked questions on this site if you have read enough threads. CRK was floored with comments regarding the 25 and Emerson on several of his knives with Kai. It is very common. I would bet money that Sal, Rick, and many others would directly answer questions and concerns. BUT more importantly they would not post threads of new knives, and be insulted when proper questions are asked. If David wishes to post products and only answer the fan mail, IMO that is not a discussion, but more a sales ad. I have zero problem with knife origin, I have a problem with the price charged for a knife made of Faux materials, and David telling me that the price point is justified. China clearly has cost advantages, and this is not reflected in the end cost of these knives.

And why are we discussing countries at all? I thought that this was a knife discussion forum. Shouldn't we be talking about knives? And isn't there a political forum here if people want to talk about countries?

I'm so confused! :confused:

The only reason to produce in China is to reduce cost? What happens if you're Chinese and live in China and want to start a Chinese knife company?

What do you know about Reate, about how many employees it has, about what it pays its employees, about what the standards are, about what their material costs are, about what their manufacturing costs are, etc. etc. etc.?

And why is it ok for people like you to just make such insulting, uninformed comments about an entire country?

May I ask how much free product you've received from Reate in order for you to defend them so vehemently?

And why are we discussing countries at all? I thought that this was a knife discussion forum. Shouldn't we be talking about knives? :confused:

I am talking directly about the knife, please read the post. The knife is made with faux materials, it's produced off shore to minimize cost, knife is listed for $400, not of the quality because of the fake materials of Say a CRK, Wilson Combat, Spartan etc. Fake materials DO NOT add up. If anyone is suggesting that fake timascus is as good as the real material in CRK, Wilson, Spartan, etc., etc. then I can not educate that person. China or any off shore market only comes into the conversation because with the cost saving of production there, together with the cheaper fake materials being used, the knife is not IMO worth $400. That is what we are discussing, a MFG. attempt to sell a knife of less quality materials for the same price of knives that contain real material. You are 100% correct. The knives DO NOT match up.

I agree that Reate comes under more scrutiny than nearly any other maker. And often they are asked to verify certain things none of us would dare throw out there to anyone else. I think thought that stems from this being very new for everyone involved. Not knives in general mind you but high end knives out of china is still in its infancy. And anytime we break new ground in this hobby it naturally will be met with some amount of skepticism. I think people are just trying to feel out if their money is well spent and I think all things considering some of the concerns are valid. I still feel we should be a little more mindful of how we ask and even I felt the need to reel myself in as I started to feel my emotions making judgement calls my brain should have been making. As for the simplicity of changing the color of the hardware yeah it can be done but I also understand the hesitation many may have about dropping $400 on knife only to invest more on changing the color.

For every pro-Reate comment I make they send me a free ball bearing.

You need to re-negotiate that deal. They send me two bearings for each negative comment to whip the true believers into a buying frenzy. :cool:

And why are we discussing countries at all? I thought that this was a knife discussion forum. Shouldn't we be talking about knives? And isn't there a political forum here if people want to talk about countries?

I'm so confused! :confused:

Nothing confusing about it. Country of origin is part of the information that is used to make buying decisions.

Back