Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

What knife designer/manufacturer would answer to design choices and pricing? Try asking Sal Glesser or Rick Hinderer the same questions about one of their knives.

Don't know about Rick but Sal answers these types of questions on three different Spyderco forums I'm aware of and he does it with style and class. I think I've seen him answer some in the General forum as well.

Cool, I appreciate those sentiments (buy American etc etc). Some though take it too far and get into trolling territory and get away with it for some reason.

When I said knifemaker sponsored, I was not being clear. I meant that the knifemaker (who has proper membership) opened a thread in good faith to discuss KNIVES. I am confident that you are smart enough to figure that out from here on out.

BTW, as I stated, it was just a small sampling from his post history. Sorry that I did one twice, it was a lot of work for what it is.

He opened a thread to announce a new knife in a higher price range, I assume to gauge knife users' opinions. Testing the waters so to speak. We are giving honest opinions about the knife, its materials, the price, and the country of origin. All are things he needs to know. You're welcome!

Don't know about Rick but Sal answers these types of questions on three different Spyderco forums I'm aware of and he does it with style and class. I think I've seen him answer some in the General forum as well.

Ok, valid point. Probably Sal was a bad example. He tends to be one of the more approachable manufacturers...but on the flip side, there is a lot of "suck up" love for Spyderco too. I'm not entirely sure that Sal himself wouldn't be a bit put off by the accusatory tone of some of the questions.

One other thing to consider with Reate, I think there is a bit of a language barrier at play. For the sake of clarity, we may need to appoint a Mandarin speaking BF representative to continue the questioning.:)

In terms of "faux" materials...I don't ever recall seeing the clip and pivot hardware passed off as Timascus, only as a finish. I don't understand the rage over a finish...

In short, there are two groups of people here, one group trying to talk about a knife and another group trying to shout them down for talking about it.

I'm going for popcorn.

Ok, valid point. Probably Sal was a bad example. He tends to be one of the more approachable manufacturers...but on the flip side, there is a lot of "suck up" love for Spyderco too. I'm not entirely sure that Sal himself wouldn't be a bit put off by the accusatory tone of some of the questions.

One other thing to consider with Reate, I think there is a bit of a language barrier at play. For the sake of clarity, we may need to appoint a Mandarin speaking BF representative to continue the questioning.:)

In terms of "faux" materials...I don't ever recall seeing the clip and pivot hardware passed off as Timascus, only as a finish. I don't understand the rage over a finish...

In short, there are two groups of people here, one group trying to talk about a knife and another group trying to shout them down for talking about it.

I'm going for popcorn.

Faux is faux. If he was pushing it as the real thing that would be a seperate issue entirely. The question is at what price point should faux materials cease being used, especially when marketing it as a high end knife. Kinda like would it be ok for bentley to start offering the continental with wood veneers if its a high end car and my audi has solid wood trim. Or if lamborghini said they were going to do carbon fiber vinyl stickers instead of carbon trim. It has nothing to do with them accurately representing it or not, but rather if its appropriate to do so in a knife costing that much. Would you buy a hinderer for the same price they currently go for if they switched to steel frames with a titanium coating as long as they told you?

Nothing confusing about it. Country of origin is part of the information that is used to make buying decisions.
Why? :confused: About the only non-political reason I can think of is how much it will cost me if I have to send the knife offshore for repair or replacement.

Last edited:

I'm going for popcorn.

No one is trying to shut anyone down. We all have an opinion and its clearly coming out here. Its the people who can'thelp but insult others that have no place here. I wont name people...... because they know who they are. Lots of valid points in this thread

Faux is faux. If he was pushing it as the real thing that would be a seperate issue entirely. The question is at what price point should faux materials cease being used, especially when marketing it as a high end knife. Kinda like would it be ok for bentley to start offering the continental with wood veneers if its a high end car and my audi has solid wood trim. Or if lamborghini said they were going to do carbon fiber vinyl stickers instead of carbon trim. It has nothing to do with them accurately representing it or not, but rather if its appropriate to do so in a knife costing that much. Would you buy a hinderer for the same price they currently go for if they switched to steel frames with a titanium coating as long as they told you?

Ding ding ding..... we have a winner!

A better question would be why are you asking a question that you know full well will get this thread locked due to political content?
So you're saying this thread is doomed to be locked now because I asked a simple question? Go back to my question and you'll see that I edited it to include at least one legitimate reason to be concerned about where a knife is manufactured that has absolutely nothing to do with politics. I'm just curious to know if there are any other non-political reasons besides that one.

Faux is faux.

Is ivory micarta faux ivory? Should it not be used because it looks like ivory? And whence this rule that you're not allowed to use swirl-anodized titanium because it looks like timascus, even when it explicitly isn't timascus?

Ding ding ding..... we have a winner!

And actually those may be bad examples as they represent an existing company cheapening a product. This is a case where they chose to make something new yet use that method of finishing. Still my point is its tacky. Didnt want to have to say it that way but it seems like it needs to be said for understandings sake. If it really is just a harmless finishing technique then why make it look like something its not when any other choice would have eliminated that issue. On a $100 knife id say neato. On a $400 knife its more like an ?. High end knives are just that, high end. Imagine the compliment from a fellow knife nut, "nice timascus!" And your reply having to be "oh its not real". "And how much was it?" ...........

Is ivory micarta faux ivory? Should it not be used because it looks like ivory? And whence this rule that you're not allowed to use swirl-anodized titanium because it looks like timascus, even when it explicitly isn't timascus?
Different strokes for different folks. But I, for one, never judged how well a woman could kiss based on the color of her lipstick. ;)

Last edited:
And actually those may be bad examples as they represent an existing company cheapening a product. This is a case where they chose to make something new yet use that method of finishing. Still my point is its tacky. Didnt want to have to say it that way but it seems like it needs to be said for understandings sake. If it really is just a harmless finishing technique then why make it look like something its not when any other choice would have eliminated that issue. On a $100 knife id say neato. On a $400 knife its more like an ?. High end knives are just that, high end. Imagine the compliment from a fellow knife nut, "nice timascus!" And your reply having to be "oh its not real". "And how much was it?" ...........
If it was real timascus I would have been in, but i agree that at the given proce point you shouldnt pass it off as faux

lol, are you really trying to justify the timascus anodizing by trying to draw parallels to a highly regulated natural resource limited in supply and legality? That is a matter of necessity. But still ivory is a color which is the color of that micarta. But micarta does not look or feel like genuine ivory. Now you take that ivory micarta and polish it and give it a cosmetic overhaul to look like genuine ivory and by adding dark lines like the striations in real ivory and then slap it on a high dollar knife yeah that is pretty weak. And no its NOT a swirl pattern. Nice try though.

Last edited:
If it was real timascus I would have been in, but i agree that at the given proce point you shouldnt pass it off as faux

Yeah im not even saying timascus should have been used at the price. Just that making it look like it was used at its price was a poor choice. If chris reeve did some damascus etching on their blade i doubt many would sell. Fauxmascus etches belong on cheap knives where they have been used for years.

So you're saying this thread is doomed to be locked now because I asked a simple question? Go back to my question and you'll see that I edited it to include at least one legitimate reason to be concerned about where a knife is manufactured that has absolutely nothing to do with politics. I'm just curious to know if there are any other non-political reasons besides that one.

Not at all. I think you know full well what you are asking, because I believe that you know the answer to why country of origin is important to many of us is one that will have the mods swooping down on this thread pronto and locking it for political discourse. Come on, now. There's a reason many of us prefer US made knives, or at the very least, imported knives, the profit from which goes to a US company.

Reate is neither of those.

Not at all. I think you know full well what you are asking, because I believe that you know the answer to why country of origin is important to many of us is one that will have the mods swooping down on this thread pronto and locking it for political discourse. Come on, now. There's a reason many of us prefer US made knives, or at the very least, imported knives, the profit from which goes to a US company.

Yes, I'm aware that Sinophobia exists. I'm just glad I don't suffer from it. :)

I think the point is these same issues dont come up in threads about shirogorov, lionsteel, or any number of brands that manufacture outside the usa so it sorta looks like china gets singled out. So i think the question is, is it really about buying american products or just NOT buying chinese ones.

Yes, I'm aware that Sinophobia exists. I'm just glad I don't suffer from it. :)

You can attempt to downplay or belittle those of us who still actually care about this country's wellbeing all you want. Your opinion is meaningless to me. :)

Back