Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

Yeah, these have seemed to move a little sluggishly. They've been basically open stock at most places...although Knifecenter and Knifeworks still show them as pre-order. At this point I'm guessing there have been more than 100 but way less than 500 made of each model? Of course, that's not to say there won't be more stock available in the future. I don't think these have ever been pitched as a limited run, just a high-end run. Maybe the price will come down as time goes on. They're priced at MSRP because it appears to be what you can get for them. If that turns out to not be the case, the retailers may choose to discount off MSRP. They really set the price.

I picked up a LNIB Horizon A for $225 not long ago...these feel like less of a knife for almost twice as much.

Maybe I'll just watch secondary market because I can't see these actually going up in value. If the secondary market for a ZT 0392 is flat, these should cheapen a little.

i'd probably be willing to pay 300$ for the cf one, which isn't likely to be available at that price. oh well

i'd probably be willing to pay 300$ for the cf one, which isn't likely to be available at that price. oh well

Im with you. Hopefully the lack of sales drives the price down. Wait Skelton recently did a promo vid for this knife. Coincidence?

Im with you. Hopefully the lack of sales drives the price down. Wait Skelton recently did a promo vid for this knife. Coincidence?

Thats what happens when you get free samples "you may have notice my channel change focus from production to custom and mid tech knives. This is just the evolution of my collecting. And I am sorry but no I will not be doing any guest blade or reviews on production knives anymore. If you want that there are plenty of other channels to check out....." blah blah blah. That is until he gets $800 worth of knives as payment for a glowing presentation.

Something you need to realize about Mr. skelton. He is a salesman. Its what he does. He is notorious in the watch, cigar and gun world for using his connections and his promotional skills to further his hobbies. I have no problem with people accepting free gear for review. But he sets rules for himself and for his channel and then breaks them. That I dont agree with. He would review limited edition ZT's and Spydercos if they were given to him. The problem is those companies dont need his voice to move product. ZT limited's break the internet every time they are released. They dont need Jim skelton and so you wont find them on his channel and he wont have a very high opinion of them. Pay really close attention to his channel. Ever notice most of the makers he openly supports have a bit of stigma attached to them? Brous, will moon, ADV, ddr, etc. He deals with a lot of unknowns and or makers who need a bit of decent PR to help boost their careers. And its all because he can work out a deal to boost their sales in return for comped goods.

Thats what happens when you get free samples "you may have notice my channel change focus from production to custom and mid tech knives. This is just the evolution of my collecting. And I am sorry but no I will not be doing any guest blade or reviews on production knives anymore. If you want that there are plenty of other channels to check out....." blah blah blah. That is until he gets $800 worth of knives as payment for a glowing presentation.

Something you need to realize about Mr. skelton. He is a salesman. Its what he does. He is notorious in the watch, cigar and gun world for using his connections and his promotional skills to further his hobbies. I have no problem with people accepting free gear for review. But he sets rules for himself and for his channel and then breaks them. That I dont agree with. He would review limited edition ZT's and Spydercos if they were given to him. The problem is those companies dont need his voice to move product. ZT limited's break the internet every time they are released. They dont need Jim skelton and so you wont find them on his channel and he wont have a very high opinion of them. Pay really close attention to his channel. Ever notice most of the makers he openly supports have a bit of stigma attached to them? Brous, will moon, ADV, ddr, etc. He deals with a lot of unknowns and or makers who need a bit of decent PR to help boost their careers. And its all because he can work out a deal to boost their sales in return for comped goods.

completely agree. That's why I called it a promo video, not a review. I was offered product to review by Schrade last year. They didn't seem to like my honesty and didn't offer me one for 2015 products. lol

Well,since Horizon-D series released,many people think that the price is too high.However it is the most resonable price that decide after our company meeting.We use the top material and special heat treatment technology with fine workmanship as well as strict quality.Maybe you guys think the price is too high,however,it is really the most resonable price.

wow I remember when reate first came out 90-110.00 now we are at 400.00? I'll pass

Well,since Horizon-D series released,many people think that the price is too high.However it is the most resonable price that decide after our company meeting.We use the top material and special heat treatment technology with fine workmanship as well as strict quality.Maybe you guys think the price is too high,however,it is really the most resonable price.

Appreciate you weighing in on this. I just have a hard time swallowing it due to what the horizon A with similar appointments was selling for via bladehq. If $400 was a list price with the option for dealers to sell at a discount I wouldnt bat an eyelash. But when I see the horizon A sell for $250 and then this knife with all the same materials sells for $400 flat out its hard to see where the extra money went. To me the recurve and hollow grind m390 blade of the "A" seems like a pretty fair swap for a flat ground non recurve M390 blade with a blood groove milled into it. Then the handle on both is titanium and the horizon a may even seem a little more intricate IMHO but you would know better than I which takes more time. The ONLY thing I see that is really different on these is the faux timascus. And that is certainly something I would not pay a premium for. Even if it was an artistic etch fine but making it look like a material it is not seems cheap. If you compare the list prices of both knives they seem a little more comparable. But when you compare actual street prices I just cant get behind this new knife. As for special heat treatments its kinda hard to see if there is any value in that at all. Anyone can say they have a special heat treat process. No one here can verify that. And without going into detail of why that process is special no one can say for sure if it means anything. If that is the lowest possible price it is what it is. I will have to spend my money in ways I think makes better sense.

Like PurpleDC and my posts in your threads the comparison between Horizon-A and Horizon-D is suitable.

I think initially you had Horizon-A at $300 but then lowered it to $250 once it hit the market. Horizon-D has some cost increases due ceramic bearings and detent plus the anodized timascus hardware. I don't think those extra costs amount to $150. Then again, perhaps Horizon-A was sold too low at $250 knowing that now Horizon-C is also priced at $250!

Not for a non-American-made product, sorry. I think you're going to find that out sooner or later that most Americans will pass on your products when there are plenty of others (which are better) at that price range. Good luck.

Not for a non-American-made product, sorry. I think you're going to find that out sooner or later that most Americans will pass on your products when there are plenty of others (which are better) at that price range. Good luck.

I don't get this mentality.
It's like you're saying that, no matter what the product, American citizens can make a better one than citizens from any other nation. That's just ignorant man.
Do you think any watches, guns or cars not made in America are also crap??:confused:

Do you suppose an American maker like Todd Begg would be working with David on his new line if David produced inferior quality products??

Thank you for all you guys support .We will deal with the problem after the Blade Show.Now we are jioning the Blade Show at booth #306 and busy with that for some time.Really appreciate for all your attention and kindly advices.:)

It's like you're saying that, no matter what the product, American citizens can make a better one than citizens from any other nation. That's just ignorant man.
Do you think any watches, guns or cars not made in America are also crap??:confused:

Do you suppose an American maker like Todd Begg would be working with David on his new line if David produced inferior quality products??

I am welcome to voice my opinion as I wish. Frankly, I find your lack of understanding of where my opinion comes from ignorant and shortsighted. So, please feel free to put me on ignore.

These look beautiful!

If I can ask a slightly off-topic question: do you guys have any plans on introducing a folder with a sub-3.5" blade at some point in the future? The reason I ask is that I recently purchased a Reate-built Liong Mah-designed Warrior One, and love the smaller size. I think something like a mini Horizon or a mini District 9 would be in huge demand if it were made.

Thanks for making great knives.

I totally agree! I would love to see some smaller folders from Reate.

Thank you for all you guys support .We will deal with the problem after the Blade Show.Now we are jioning the Blade Show at booth #306 and busy with that for some time.Really appreciate for all your attention and kindly advices.:)

Thanks for taking the time to respond to us knife enthusiasts and enjoy Blade Show! I wish I was going to be there.

I also agree that with the addition of the fuller and the fake anodized stamped clip and pivot covers I just don't see $400 in this knife. For me, if you had added a nice back spacer with attractive filework or Timascus, and a real milled Timascus clip and pivot covers, then I'm seeing $400 as a reasonable price on the CF model. Do the same and add some nice color choices to the pattern Ti version and its in the ballpark too. :thumbup:

I'll be interested to see what you come up with after Blade.

Have a good show!

I cant speak for him but how I took that was kinda like most americans given a choice will choose to buy American if all other things are equal. Lets say two knives are made in the identical way from identical materials. One in the USA and one in China. If they both cost the same amount of money I think most americans by default would buy the american knife. I know I personally started buying knives from china because they were not only good but represented a genuine sense of value. You feel like you paid less than you should. You felt like you got more than the competition for a lower cost. If that value is gone and now its just comparable products at comparable prices that main selling point for me (value) is no longer a part of my decision making. I also didnt see him refer to anything as crap. IMHO its not about the quality of the work. Reate has shown it produces excellent quality.

EDITED TO ASK: And where did you get the Todd Begg info?

EDITED TO ASK: And where did you get the Todd Begg info?

Todd Begg Steel Craft series is being produced by Reate. First one is the Kwaiken. Posted on Instagram @toddbegg_knives

The Todd Begg Reate Kwaiken looks great! Pricey at $445 but a lot less than a real Begg!

11251793_842194399202201_253184318_n.jpg

Back