Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

Todd Begg Steel Craft series is being produced by Reate. First one is the Kwaiken. Posted on Instagram @toddbegg_knives

The Todd Begg Reate Kwaiken looks great! Pricey at $445 but a lot less than a real Begg!

11251793_842194399202201_253184318_n.jpg

Hmm, I have seen that knife but I didnt see anything mentioned about reate. Cool stuff. Price? not so cool. But compared to actual beggs #bargain

Hmm, I have seen that knife but I didnt see anything mentioned about reate. Cool stuff. Price? not so cool. But compared to actual beggs #bargain

You can see the post from yesterday on Instagram @toddbegg_knives : "We just received the first prototype production Kwaiken from our buddy David Deng of @reateknives we are happy announce the new Todd Begg Steel Craft series produced for us by @reateknives These will retail for $445 start emailing your favorite dealer to find out about availability."

You can see the post from yesterday on Instagram @toddbegg_knives : "We just received the first prototype production Kwaiken from our buddy David Deng of @reateknives we are happy announce the new Todd Begg Steel Craft series produced for us by @reateknives These will retail for $445 start emailing your favorite dealer to find out about availability."

My friend,thank you for your reply all the time.:)

I also agree that with the addition of the fuller and the fake anodized stamped clip and pivot covers I just don't see $400 in this knife. For me, if you had added a nice back spacer with attractive filework or Timascus, and a real milled Timascus clip and pivot covers, then I'm seeing $400 as a reasonable price on the CF model. Do the same and add some nice color choices to the pattern Ti version and its in the ballpark too. :thumbup:

I'll be interested to see what you come up with after Blade.

Have a good show!

Thank you and really appreciate for your advice.

Yeah I wasnt doubtin you. I saw that knife somewhere via an official begg post somewhere but they didnt make mention of that. Hoping for a bodega variant or even a field marshall.

I am welcome to voice my opinion as I wish. Frankly, I find your lack of understanding of where my opinion comes from ignorant and shortsighted. So, please feel free to put me on ignore.

You didn't answer any of my questions and then you basically tell me to go away....
How can I have any "understanding of where your opinion comes from" if you refuse to explain your opinion??

I understand if you want to try and "buy American" whenever you get the chance, that's a noble effort, but I find it borderline insulting the way you dismissed David and Reate out of hand.
As if a knife made in China can't possibly be as good as a knife made in America....:rolleyes:
If you truly believe that nonsense, you should put yourself on ignore.

I like what Reate is doing and there knives are cool looking . my only issue with China made knives is there resale value . If I buy a sebenza , strider , limited ZT , sprint Spyderco , XM 18 i know the resale value is there . 400 plus for a Reate is hard to do especially with no track record to go on . Collector will buy them and be happy but I'm not a collected I buy use them trade them or keep them new then trade them . So for me buying a Reate will have to wait . Unless that 3.2 blade is under 200 :D

Todd Begg Steel Craft series is being produced by Reate. First one is the Kwaiken. Posted on Instagram @toddbegg_knives

The Todd Begg Reate Kwaiken looks great! Pricey at $445 but a lot less than a real Begg!

11251793_842194399202201_253184318_n.jpg

So a Reate with the Begg name on it, and his OK to build a knife he designed for $445.00?!

Why do these two fit so well together?

It's all getting rather strange.
The whole thing about 'Chinese knives' is that they are cheap, because they are cheap to make.

Labor is the main factor in the price, not materials, so I really don't get how this works anymore....

If it's about 'prominence' I am not sure anything 'Reate' could yet be considered to have any of that, regardless of who's name they buy.

A reputation is earned over a long period of time, hype is almost instant.

Not for a non-American-made product, sorry. I think you're going to find that out sooner or later that most Americans will pass on your products when there are plenty of others (which are better) at that price range. Good luck.

If I read between the lines, I get your point, and I agree 100% as written, face value.

There is nothing wrong with supporting American made, and saying that a knife made in America at the same price point as one made somewhere else is better, because it is, if only for the fact that 'made in America' means a ton more then what most people seem to realize or understand....

Pretty simple for me, I love Reate knives, but after the 200 to 300 hundred dollar point there just not worth it any longer to me. That said the horizon C is one of my favorite knives and I would have been in line for the new horizon carbon if the price were under 300.

Mike

This is the "high-end" series, guys.

Keep that in mind.

Kinda obviously going to be more expensive.

I believe the Horizon-D should've been priced at $325 not $400. The price jump from Horizon-B to Horizon-A was 25% ($200 to $250). Let's add the anodized hardware of Horizon-D and instead go with a price increase of 30% from Horizon-C to Horizon-D and we end up with $325. That's a fair price in my estimation.

Nope nope nope.....

They came out with an m390 model at much less than these and for then discontinued it. Ill stick to my 0562cf in 204p for FAR less and looking forward to the spyderco GB2 at sub 200.

That Begg design looks nice, although the handle looks like it might lack a bit of purchase and versatility in terms of different grips. I would spend that amount for a production knife, but only if it is offering something really special.

Generally, I would like Reate to focus on simple, practical designs, with highest quality materials / build, that it can produce in volume and at the lowest price point possible. I'd love a Horizon model with a straight-edge M390 blade and a half CF handle that would compete with high-end general release ZTs and Spydercos in terms of street price. I'm not so interested in very limited runs with faux trimascus accents and Chris Reeve prices.

Not for a non-American-made product, sorry. I think you're going to find that out sooner or later that most Americans will pass on your products when there are plenty of others (which are better) at that price range. Good luck.

Is this some objective fact that "most Americans" agree on? Or are you just making stuff up again?

Nope nope nope.....

They came out with an m390 model at much less than these and for then discontinued it. Ill stick to my 0562cf in 204p for FAR less and looking forward to the spyderco GB2 at sub 200.

+1 Makers name or collab doesn't justify a huge hike when the others with the same steels and extras are still under $250. Other Reates with the same amount of milling or work sell for $250 or less. That was the beauty of Reate which got me hooked. They are made as well as any folder or mid from $200 to $500. Doesn't mean because a makers design and collab is made or new model requires an almost 50% price hike. (Even if said makers folders direct can cost over $1k and up)

This is the "high-end" series, guys.

Keep that in mind.

Kinda obviously going to be more expensive.

Let me ask you this. I make two knives. same materials. Same fit and finish. Just a slightly different build method. I label one "high end" Is that knife worth more now because I called it "high end"?

Back