Reate Knives-Users' opinion and collections

Hmmm...
So am I the only one that finds this odd?

88F73A06-E624-478A-8B03-120BABC2E889_zpselciowfg.jpg

8B4E4DC6-D83E-4F00-9EA6-E460BDCCC9D4_zps75dnr2q1.jpg

Hmmm...
So am I the only one that finds this odd?

88F73A06-E624-478A-8B03-120BABC2E889_zpselciowfg.jpg

8B4E4DC6-D83E-4F00-9EA6-E460BDCCC9D4_zps75dnr2q1.jpg

No. It was mentioned many times the first time reate started posting on this forum about their knives. Its been speculated that Reate is Adai. Adai is responsible for many of the higher end ZT clones as well as clones of custom knives. One thing is for sure, they either Adai and Reate are the same company, or reate simply designs knives and uses adai as its manufacturer. Either way the latest Reate knives have changed to a solid pivot with out the ZT influence. It was though along with the handle pattern one of the first clues that hinted to the connection with Adai. Its not known if they did this on purpose since Adai has an underground following and people familiar with them would have an understanding of what kind of quality Reate is building knives at or if it was a complete and total misstep. My feelings are how could they NOT know people would catch on.

No. It was mentioned many times the first time reate started posting on this forum about their knives. Its been speculated that Reate is Adai. Adai is responsible for many of the higher end ZT clones as well as clones of custom knives. One thing is for sure, they either Adai and Reate are the same company, or reate simply designs knives and uses adai as its manufacturer. Either way the latest Reate knives have changed to a solid pivot with out the ZT influence. It was though along with the handle pattern one of the first clues that hinted to the connection with Adai. Its not known if they did this on purpose since Adai has an underground following and people familiar with them would have an understanding of what kind of quality Reate is building knives at or if it was a complete and total misstep. My feelings are how could they NOT know people would catch on.

:eek:

Red flags all over the place!
I'm glad to know that...

An interesting thing about the d9 is that every edge corner of the blade including the flipper trigger is slightly radiused,so it looks slightly thinner than it really is. its a pretty cool feature that im sure takes extra work .it shows an attention to detail that they didn't have to do if they wanted to save time and labor...

:eek:

Red flags all over the place!
I'm glad to know that...

Well truth be told I fully support Reate. Even if they have a past or even current connection to Adai. The fact that they are only offering original designs in the USA and that they are willing to make the pivot change IMHO says they are making an effort to distance themselves from the clone image. Or at the very least they are honoring US law by only selling products in the USA that comply with those laws. Truth be told there are many many very large companies that make replica products in japan, china, korea all parts of asia really. I dont know if the laws are quite the same in Asia as they are here. Either way they arent selling the clones in the USA. USA residents are going to chinese sites to buy them which I think is a bit different. If I were to sit and judge reate for any connection to clones I also would have to sit in judgment of myself for my past. I dont actively promote clone knives on the forums but I dont have a vendetta or hatred for them and thats all i will say to that effect. With that said I simply believe in the truth and feel that the public deserves that and is free to make up their own minds as to who they will buy from. Whether its the truth about a reate/adai connection to being truthful as to the level of quality they product product which some dont want to admit is amazingly high. Its simply the truth, which is all I am interested in.

Last edited:
Well truth be told I fully support Reate. Even if they have a past or even current connection to Adai. The fact that they are only offering original designs in the USA and that they are willing to make the pivot change IMHO says they are making an effort to distance themselves from the clone image. If I were to sit and judge reate for any connection to clones I also would have to sit in judgment of myself for my past. I dont actively promote clone knives on the forums but I dont have a vendetta or hatred for them and thats all i will say to that effect. With that said I simply believe in the truth and feel that the public deserves that and is free to make up their own minds as to who they will buy from. Whether its the truth about a reate/adai connection to being truthful as to the level of quality they product product which some dont want to admit is amazingly high. Its simply the truth, which is all I am interested in.

Idk, all I see are many "brand names" under the same roof.
Ever heard about the whole luxottica thing?

Look at this adai on "that china website"; that milling pattern looks awfully familiar.. and that anodizing? Well, that looks reminiscent of another "certain Chinese maker"...

DC065165-BBF9-4D67-A995-6D3C28A6D0CC_zps3joohawv.jpg

By the time I discovered Reate knives, and having read everything I could, I searched high and low and couldn't find the Horizon A. Then yesterday, BladeHQ listed it, and as of this moment, it's still available. I love the shape and size of the blade, and the price is unbelievable for what your getting. I would not want a clone or anything that wasn't legit. I would think this Forum would not permit this. David, just keep doing what you're doing.

By the time I discovered Reate knives, and having read everything I could, I searched high and low and couldn't find the Horizon A. Then yesterday, BladeHQ listed it, and as of this moment, it's still available. I love the shape and size of the blade, and the price is unbelievable for what your getting. I would not want a clone or anything that wasn't legit. I would think this Forum would not permit this. David, just keep doing what you're doing.

Just checked and they list the Horizon B but not the A in stock.

Thank you for your support.

Thanks for speaking up for Reate. We don't want to explain this more here because we already had explained it at the beginning. We can't stop people having different opinions, but we can do our best on our side.

Thank you for noticing this detail. We did tries to make the knife the best as we could.
An interesting thing about the d9 is that every edge corner of the blade including the flipper trigger is slightly radiused,so it looks slightly thinner than it really is. its a pretty cool feature that im sure takes extra work .it shows an attention to detail that they didn't have to do if they wanted to save time and labor...

Thanks for speaking up for Reate. We don't want to explain this more here because we already had explained it at the beginning. We can't stop people having different opinions, but we can do our best on our side.

So what is your side? Is some other Chinese company ripping off your milling patterns and pivot designs? I'm pretty confused...:confused:

The writing is on the wall, and my opinion is pretty clear that you are a very "behind the scenes" company. Why don't you show us some pictures of your shop? Let's see a tour of what goes on there... If I setup a conference with Crucible Industries would they vouch for you that your blade materials are authentic?

I'd love to hear more about the history of "Reate" and how you setup your company...
Nobody just pops up out of nowhere with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of machinery and materials...

www.reateknives.com

So what is your side? Is some other Chinese company ripping off your milling patterns and pivot designs? I'm pretty confused...:confused:

The writing is on the wall, and my opinion is pretty clear that you are a very "behind the scenes" company. Why don't you show us some pictures of your shop? Let's see a tour of what goes on there... If I setup a conference with Crucible Industries would they vouch for you that your blade materials are authentic?

I'd love to hear more about the history of "Reate" and how you setup your company...
Nobody just pops up out of nowhere with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of machinery and materials...

I find it amusing how Chinese companies are continuously held to such a discriminatory standard as was with Japanese companies in the not too distant past. Get over it people and stop stereotyping. It's a global economy and knifemaking is not rocket science. Competition from China will only enhance available quality knives from everywhere. History is long term...

[video=youtube_share;Q_vJfIy1wpw]http://youtu.be/Q_vJfIy1wpw[/video]

I find it amusing how Chinese companies are continuously held to such a discriminatory standard as was with Japanese companies in the not too distant past. Get over it people and stop stereotyping. It's a global economy and knifemaking is not rocket science. Competition from China will only enhance available quality knives from everywhere. History is long term...

I guess we'll just sweep the obvious under the rug then...

Let me ask you, how am I being discriminatory or stereotypical? All I want to know is why all these Chinese company's have similar designs, milling, annodizing, etc... I'm seeing a pattern that traces back to a bigger picture of fraudulent knife making. I've seen this pattern before with counterfeit guitars...

China is known for making counterfeit everything, from knives, to purses, shoes, guitars, you name it...
People in the guitar community take counterfeits very seriously, as we see the same trends; it doesn't seem so here. It seems as if there are a few "die hards" that won't take the spoon feeding, while the rest are blinded by a veil of ignorance and just accept what the maker claims.

Ignorance is bliss, true. I'm not saying that reate makes low-quality knives, they are obviously very well made. But what about good old ethics people? It's saddening to see a community supporting what they claim to be against...

Your website shows me little more than a single CNC machine...big deal...

It has no statement on who the owner is, and what his inspiration/vision is for his own knives. Who is the owner? Please give us a full name! Is David from reate the same David from kizer? I'd imagine there aren't too many people with the name "David" in china...

Every knife I've owned, I was able to find a single person behind the scenes of production oversight. Example, Chris Reeves, Sal Glesser, Mick Strider, Ernest Emerson, etc... Why can't we know who the head honcho is over at reate and kizer?

You didn't answer any of my questions yet...

The title of the thread is "Reate Knives-Users' opinion and collections".

This is all nonsense already.How many auto makers are doing the led lights surrounding the headlights that Audi seems to have started,along with the Audi center grill,ive seen lexus copy other designs,and so many other car makers follow a similar trend. this is just one example.how come no one blasts curtiss for the spanto on the f3? or any assisted opening knife that isn't lisenced from ken onion ? we can go on and on and nit pick.who cares about this trivial nonsense,if the design is good and the knife is well made, who cares what styling cues might come out of it,borrowed or not. I have no problem carrying my district 9 and am proud to own it,it rivals many knives at more than its price.

Back