Reate Knives-Users' opinion and collections

They want suggestions or is it only for the Chinese made fanboy club?:rolleyes:

No its a thread for users and collectors of the brand. Not USA Made fanboys who think that a CNC operated in china is any different than one in america. I think the point here though is that your comments go beyond constructive criticism and are simply rude. If you said "not for me" It would have went over a lot better than a puking emoticon. And the comment about them making them in america seems like an ignorant one. It implies that only way to get a good knife is to have it made in the USA. But you seem to forget that Spyderco makes most of its high end knives in Taiwan. And kershaw is a Japanese owned corporation that just happens to have a USA factory. And even they still make some of its products in China. I have no problem with American pride. But I do have a problem with foolish pride. Made in america doesnt mean anything in regards to quality. Hell anyone with a Bear MGC can tell you that. A good knife is a good knife no matter what country it was made in. And having seen the quality china is releasing lately my thoughts are you wouldnt be singing the praises of american manufacturing if you were to actually handle some of the high end releases coming from china.

Last edited:
Horizon -B

IMG_1295_zpsa89c86fb.jpg

IMG_1297_zpsa23faf93.jpg

IMG_1299_zps4ee359fc.jpg

For those who own a Reate knife how is the heat treat on the steels? I wish someone would do a test on Reate's m390 and s35vn and compare it to the same steels used by other manufacturers.

For those who own a Reate knife how is the heat treat on the steels? I wish someone would do a test on Reate's m390 and s35vn and compare it to the same steels used by other manufacturers.

I think the important thing here is that people arent reporting any issues with edge retention. Real world use is the only true way of testing the heat treat. Doing a rockwell hardness test will usually be done in an inconspicuous area as to avoid any indication this test was done and as such wont always be indicative of how hard the edge is. You could test near the pivot and get good test results but the thing wont hold an edge because its was scorched when sharpened. I guess for me when they list the specs and hardness I am willing to take their word on it all things considering and I would never ask them or its owners to do something I wouldnt ask any other maker to do. Reate has never given me a reason to doubt. So I wouldnt have a need to have the steel or its hardness tested just as I with most other companies.

I can say from experience that my horizon A with m390 seems to have a fantastic heat treat. Takes a absolutely hair popping sharp edge with little effort and holds it for a impressive time. I work in a warehouse and cut tons of cardboard, tough plastic strapping and paper as well as thin plastic sealing wrap. And my reate is one of the only knives I 've used that can cleanly slice the wrap after a day of work.

I now have the full family (at least one of each model) and they all have fantastic fit & finish plus terrific value.

54f1e6db-dd12-41cc-853b-5024a39d7172_zps66af79d9.jpg

a17bc73b-3ea4-4849-b1f0-09eb12fbc138_zps8742f0e2.jpg

8d277f8b-6706-4bc0-aefd-80bbdcc02cf5_zps2c8e6f20.jpg

94e55858-7c6d-4909-9ab5-beff0e3c6434_zps89f47593.jpg

ff9fbb72-f713-4963-8ed8-6d7042f719c2_zps6658f912.jpg

ecd1fb08-9d34-4e55-8d4a-79f587fcd237_zpsca76cc9f.jpg

Great collection. Which is your favorite model?

Hills! It's much lighter, narrower and thinner than the other two. Like the flat grind on it as well. It's clean, simple and elegant. Now, if only it came in M390!

Good looking family of Reate Knives you got there, RamZar. Congratulations.

Thank you. I forgot to take a picture showing the nice blade centering!

A Hills Junior with a 3" blade and M390 would be fantastic. Best to keep its weight at about 4 ounces.

Here are the weights on the current ones:

Horizon-A = 6.60 oz.
District 9-A = 7.39 oz.
Hills = 5.50 oz.

^ can you take a picture of the horizon in the pocket ? I was wondering how much it sticks out...

^ can you take a picture of the horizon in the pocket ? I was wondering how much it sticks out...

It won't be until the weekend so perhaps the ever-reliable Austonh can beat me to it.

Back