1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reate running soft screws?

Discussion in 'Reate Knives' started by ScaryTerry, Oct 19, 2018.

1. ScaryTerry

ScaryTerry

Aug 12, 2017
    I had just purchased the reate Torrent. Super stoked about this knife, perfect size fit and finish. One of the first knives I have received with RWL34 and I was looking to put some good use into it. I noticed the action was a little slow compared to what I've seen in my reate knives. I went to take it apart and as soon as I put pressure on the screw of the pivot my driver went loose.....But the pivot wasn't loose. So I tried the other side and the same thing. I have owned several reates and although they are locktited more then I would prefer I have never had a screw strip on me before. Does reate run some of their knives with soft screws? And does anyone know who could get this pivot screw out so I can figure out how to replace it?

2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    You'll need heat or shock to loosen the locktite. Some use heat gun, hair drier, soldering iron or put it in boiling water. The spyderco shock method sometimes works too.

ScaryTerry likes this.
  3. ScaryTerry

ScaryTerry

Aug 12, 2017
    Thanks for the reply!
    I used heat with no luck and my drivers ended up stripping the screw completely :/. So, I drilled the pivot screw out and replaced it with a spare one i had lying around. Now I need to get a replacement from reate. Even after I drilled it out I tried to get the screw free from the pivot with some pliers and I couldn't get it to budge. I have no idea what was wrong with this pivot.

4. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I have a horizon d cf and the previous owner cross threaded the screws. Never got it resolved even though they took all my info on ig. Ill have to contact them again via the USa warranty guy.

This has happened to a few people on this model.

It even happenened on one of my we knives right from the factory which was disappointing.

5. Alsharif

Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    Has this been an issue with Reate knives?

6. ScaryTerry

ScaryTerry

Aug 12, 2017
    I don't think it's a normal issue. I've had a few reates which I had no problem with the pivots. I did end up getting the pivot that I drilled out apart and it had permanent or heavy thread locker on it. That explains why the screws stripped out on me, that pivot wasn't coming apart period lol. I took my Valhalla apart today and it came apart just fine, so I'm wondering if the older models or older stock was assembled with heavy locker.

7. Alsharif

Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    I wish we’d get a clarification from Reate themselves on when, or if, they switched from using red loctite (heavy locker)

8. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I also stripped one of the pivot screws on my reate D ti/cf. Tried all methods to take it out but could not. Finally sent it to Reate USA Warranty office and they took car of the issue.

Mo2 likes this.
  9. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I own a K2, a Valhalla, a Jack and a Crossroads. I took apart the K2 and the Valhalla (so far) and the Valhalla had some threadlocker on it but nothing permanent and came apart. I did partially disassembly the Jack and there was nothing either, I have yet to completely take it apart (IE remove the blade). I haven't tried the Crossroads yet since I am still breaking it in a bit more.

10. laurin

laurin Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2007
    I have has similar problem with their Future model. It was not able to unscrew pivot so I not tried it with full power, since knife is smooth.
    Anybody with Future and disassembling success?

11. Alsharif

Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    Auston (Epicsnugglebunny) stripped the screw on his Future. I think they used red loctite on the Future model :thumbsdown:

laurin likes this.
  12. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    @austonh , paging @austonh . Maybe he can chime in, but I believe you are right, he attempted to disassemble it but stripped the screw. If the screw won't turn, you can either give it a tap to mechanically break the seal or use focused heat with a soldering iron, red loctite is rated to about ~190°C (~385°F), above that it becomes more liquid and you can remove the screw in most cases.

13. austonh

austonh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Yep, I stripped my pivot screw on the Future model. It wasn't that the screw was soft, I simply became impatient and over-torqued the s*** out of it. Red loctite was the culprit along with my impatience.

As recommended, I need to buy a soldering iron to deal with red loctite, or very liberal applications of blue loctite.

b00n likes this.
  14. b00n

Dec 15, 2016

I hope you get it sorted out at some point. At least get some replacement screws and you can give it another go with some more patience. :thumbsup: