Reate running soft screws?

I had just purchased the reate Torrent. Super stoked about this knife, perfect size fit and finish. One of the first knives I have received with RWL34 and I was looking to put some good use into it. I noticed the action was a little slow compared to what I've seen in my reate knives. I went to take it apart and as soon as I put pressure on the screw of the pivot my driver went loose.....But the pivot wasn't loose. So I tried the other side and the same thing. I have owned several reates and although they are locktited more then I would prefer I have never had a screw strip on me before. Does reate run some of their knives with soft screws? And does anyone know who could get this pivot screw out so I can figure out how to replace it?

You'll need heat or shock to loosen the locktite. Some use heat gun, hair drier, soldering iron or put it in boiling water. The spyderco shock method sometimes works too.

Thanks for the reply!
I used heat with no luck and my drivers ended up stripping the screw completely :/. So, I drilled the pivot screw out and replaced it with a spare one i had lying around. Now I need to get a replacement from reate. Even after I drilled it out I tried to get the screw free from the pivot with some pliers and I couldn't get it to budge. I have no idea what was wrong with this pivot.

I have a horizon d cf and the previous owner cross threaded the screws. Never got it resolved even though they took all my info on ig. Ill have to contact them again via the USa warranty guy.

This has happened to a few people on this model.

It even happenened on one of my we knives right from the factory which was disappointing.

Has this been an issue with Reate knives?
I don't think it's a normal issue. I've had a few reates which I had no problem with the pivots. I did end up getting the pivot that I drilled out apart and it had permanent or heavy thread locker on it. That explains why the screws stripped out on me, that pivot wasn't coming apart period lol. I took my Valhalla apart today and it came apart just fine, so I'm wondering if the older models or older stock was assembled with heavy locker.

I wish we’d get a clarification from Reate themselves on when, or if, they switched from using red loctite (heavy locker)

I have a horizon d cf and the previous owner cross threaded the screws. Never got it resolved even though they took all my info on ig. Ill have to contact them again via the USa warranty guy.

This has happened to a few people on this model.

It even happenened on one of my we knives right from the factory which was disappointing.

I also stripped one of the pivot screws on my reate D ti/cf. Tried all methods to take it out but could not. Finally sent it to Reate USA Warranty office and they took car of the issue.

Reactions: Mo2
I own a K2, a Valhalla, a Jack and a Crossroads. I took apart the K2 and the Valhalla (so far) and the Valhalla had some threadlocker on it but nothing permanent and came apart. I did partially disassembly the Jack and there was nothing either, I have yet to completely take it apart (IE remove the blade). I haven't tried the Crossroads yet since I am still breaking it in a bit more.

I have has similar problem with their Future model. It was not able to unscrew pivot so I not tried it with full power, since knife is smooth.
Anybody with Future and disassembling success?

I have has similar problem with their Future model. It was not able to unscrew pivot so I not tried it with full power, since knife is smooth.
Anybody with Future and disassembling success?
Auston (Epicsnugglebunny) stripped the screw on his Future. I think they used red loctite on the Future model :thumbsdown:

Auston (Epicsnugglebunny) stripped the screw on his Future. I think they used red loctite on the Future model :thumbsdown:

austonh austonh , paging austonh austonh . Maybe he can chime in, but I believe you are right, he attempted to disassemble it but stripped the screw. If the screw won't turn, you can either give it a tap to mechanically break the seal or use focused heat with a soldering iron, red loctite is rated to about ~190°C (~385°F), above that it becomes more liquid and you can remove the screw in most cases.

austonh austonh , paging austonh austonh . Maybe he can chime in, but I believe you are right, he attempted to disassemble it but stripped the screw. If the screw won't turn, you can either give it a tap to mechanically break the seal or use focused heat with a soldering iron, red loctite is rated to about ~190°C (~385°F), above that it becomes more liquid and you can remove the screw in most cases.

Yep, I stripped my pivot screw on the Future model. It wasn't that the screw was soft, I simply became impatient and over-torqued the s*** out of it. Red loctite was the culprit along with my impatience.

As recommended, I need to buy a soldering iron to deal with red loctite, or very liberal applications of blue loctite.

Yep, I stripped my pivot screw on the Future model. It wasn't that the screw was soft, I simply became impatient and over-torqued the s*** out of it. Red loctite was the culprit along with my impatience.

As recommended, I need to buy a soldering iron to deal with red loctite, or very liberal applications of blue loctite.

I hope you get it sorted out at some point. At least get some replacement screws and you can give it another go with some more patience. :thumbsup:

Yep, I've got a Reate x Peña Lanny on my table. I gave one twist, relatively gently, to check to see if they'd loctited the damned thing shut again, and the pivot screw started to strip. I love Reate's build quality, but damnit, they need to stop making these like they're disposable, with the threadlocker and soft screws. WE got the message on bad disassembly, Spyderco got the message on bad disassembly, I wonder what it's gonna take for Reate to.

The screws on my Reate knives (Begg Steelcrafts, Future, JACK, Fallout) are NOT soft. I disassembled a couple Begg Steelcrafts multiple times without even a mark on the screws. I have no idea what some of the people are talking about, unless Reate started using soft screws recently, which I would find difficult to believe.

Last edited:
The screws on my Reate knives (Begg Steelcrafts, Future, JACK, Fallout) are NOT soft. I disassembled a couple Begg Steelcrafts multiple times without even a mark on the screws. I have no idea what some of the people are talking about, unless Reate started using soft screws recently, which I would find difficult to believe.

I've had it only more recently. Maybe it's just a bad batch, or just variance from their supplier. Glad you've had better luck.

Hey guys, new member here, thought I would add my input here. I have a Reate New Epoch that I bought probably over a year ago and I recently disassembled it with no problems. I don't remember 100% but looking at the picture below that I took, one of the pivot screws might have been loctited into the pivot, so I probably just loosened the one that was free.

Overall, I was pretty amazed at the fit and finish of the whole assembly compared to my higher end factory knives; ZTs, Spydercos, etc. Internal milling on the Ti, double row ball bearings with wear washers, pin aligned backspacer, nice hardware and fantastic tolerances.

uFimh2Z.jpg

No doubt that Reate makes incredible fit-and-finish pieces, and I'm glad you were able to get yours apart. But I think we're just asking that they fall in line with other makers, and offer a bit more reliability and easy in long-term maintenance of these very expensive tools in terms of how they're assembled, and in terms of using screws with less variance.

Back